Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

okay icky question

Posted by Carmen on 5/09/02 at 17:47 (083266)

Has anyone gotten a BAD ingrown toenail from constantly having shoes on? I have one that is about to kill me.
Don't tell me not to do at home surgery....done it already.
The first time it worked...this time i am waiting to see if I can soak it after the storm goes away.
ugh....

Re: okay icky question

Tammie on 5/09/02 at 18:00 (083273)

Carmen, My son has been plagued by the ingrown nail syndrom, actually this past week he had one of his large toe nails removed for good. It seems to be a long process as they seem to keep coming back in and they turn to be ingrown (that is the reason ) for removing them for good.

Now when he went to the Pod he recomended soaking in epsom salts and a squirt of antibacterial soap and white vinegar. He was to soak foot in this and then dry totaly with a blow dryer so there is no dampness. Now he had infection in so he had a cream and antibiotic pills before they cleaned it out and worked on it. I had bought him a dish pan to soak his feet in worked great.Ingrown nails can sure be a pain, he got to the point he was tired of it and asked if they could do it for good, it is kinda interesting how they do it they also put some kind of medicine to keep it from growing back I believe? Not a Dr. so dont really know . I hope this helps you some! Be wary of infection , his was so bad he had pustils of infection the Pod really gave him the dickens as the infection was spreading to a large area of his foot.Take care and hope things work for you as gee foot troubles and now nails?

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 18:04 (083274)

just one tiny little piece of calcification poking in there...nothing infected or nasty.
Thanks ....I am asking the Pod tomorrow bout getting it taken care of.

wendyn on 5/09/02 at 20:32 (083301)

Carmen, it may be the way you are trimming your toes rather than the shoes.

Don't do any more home surgery. (There, I told you anyway)

Wear sandals or other open toed sandals till this goes away.

Put some polysporin or other antibiotic lotion on it, and keep it clean. You can try to put a little bit of cotton underneath the edge of the nail where it's digging into the skin. Might help if you can get it in there without hurting yourself more.

If you think it's actually infected, you must see a doctor (they usually aren't but keep an eye on it).

Once it settles down, try to trim your toenails a little longer than you were, and never chop down the edges.

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 07:24 (083342)

Done it done it done it.
sigh.....thank you Wendy....actually I trim straight across...my grandmother had the same problems all her life so I learned about all the things not to do.
The ingrown part? Is AT THE BOTTOM of my toe nail. Like the base of the nail...can you believe that?
It only started after wearing shoes constantly even though the toe box has plenty of room...I don't get it.
Oh well..it's not infected...I am just a baby from the pain.
Unfortunately I can't wear sandals for too long...the birks don't give me enough support on the sides of my feet. :o(
Thank you though...I will just sit with it and see if it goes away.

wendyn on 5/10/02 at 07:47 (083351)

That's too bad Carmen, I've had some trouble with them lower down...but that was a long time ago when I wore real shoes. Maybe it is your shoes?

Have you ever had a podiatrist check out your toenails?

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 18:11 (083465)

Yes...my toenails look so normal no one can see any abnormality...same with my feet. totally look normal.
I am getting them to take the darn corner off of it next weds after the ESWT...while i am still sedated.
they put goo on it and it won't grow back. Perfect for me!

Anthony P on 5/10/02 at 23:08 (083500)

Hi Carmen, No the home surgery didnt work for me either. Back in Feb. I had a infection of my nail of my great toe . my doc gave me
meditation and said soak in epsom salt three times a day ,clean with proxcide , keep area dry , I used cotton to keep aera clean and dry when wearing shoes . It got better until ......
Now with my new job I'm wearing new shoes and the problem is back again the other day I worked a 10 hour shift and puss came
out of the out side of my nail . I 'm now soaking everyday with some improvment . Feel better Anthony P

Re: Anthony, how are you doing with the new job?

Suzanne D on 5/11/02 at 15:48 (083551)

I had been wondering about how it was going for you, Anthony, since you started your new job! Aside from the infection, how are your feet holding up?

I hope your infection clears up and that things are going well for you otherwise!

Suzanne :-)

Anthony P on 5/11/02 at 21:44 (083577)

Hi Suzanne, I like my new job but its not so good for my feet. 10 to 12 hour days on concrete floors no chairs or rubber mats at the work stations. My boss is getting these for us soon ??!!!
I must tape my feet before work, I wear a ace bandage on my left (surgery) foot ,since I started work I now notice that my ankle is weak and at times gives out . After work r.i.c.e . I'm off to a rough start but I will beat this thing. So I though I was feeling better, until I got back to work :(
thanks venting is good Anthony P

Carmen on 5/12/02 at 09:26 (083606)

Sorry to hear about your toe being infected...I have been fortunate enough that it has never gotten to that point. And won't sicne I am taking care of it Weds.
I hope you get better SOON.

Suzanne D on 5/12/02 at 18:28 (083656)

I'm sorry you have no mats and cannot sit. That must be extremely hard, Anthony! I hope you get a mat soon! I'm not sure what you do, but could you do it sitting on a high stool so you could get off your feet some?

I'm sorry you're off to a rough start, but I applaud your positive attitude! I understand what you mean about thinking you're better and then finding out you're not quite as healed as you thought.

Take care,

Julie on 5/13/02 at 03:05 (083677)

Anthony., the ???!!! after your comment about the boss makes me wonder if you shouldn't be buying a good rubber mat for yourself. Why wait?

Re: Another bad day : (

Anthony P on 5/13/02 at 21:18 (083765)

I know Julie ,I now have rugs down at my work area , looks like I will be buying the mat myself , Today was a bad day , I'm now wondering about these new shoes I got for this Job . They're now starting to bother both big toe nails with pain so bad that its affecting the metatarsal joint s bunion s on both feet . My feet are on Ice right now I'm a mess
Tomorrow I'm wearing my sneakers to work . Looks like another doctor visit for me .
I will Keep you all posted Anthony P

Tammie on 5/09/02 at 18:00 (083273)

Carmen, My son has been plagued by the ingrown nail syndrom, actually this past week he had one of his large toe nails removed for good. It seems to be a long process as they seem to keep coming back in and they turn to be ingrown (that is the reason ) for removing them for good.

Now when he went to the Pod he recomended soaking in epsom salts and a squirt of antibacterial soap and white vinegar. He was to soak foot in this and then dry totaly with a blow dryer so there is no dampness. Now he had infection in so he had a cream and antibiotic pills before they cleaned it out and worked on it. I had bought him a dish pan to soak his feet in worked great.Ingrown nails can sure be a pain, he got to the point he was tired of it and asked if they could do it for good, it is kinda interesting how they do it they also put some kind of medicine to keep it from growing back I believe? Not a Dr. so dont really know . I hope this helps you some! Be wary of infection , his was so bad he had pustils of infection the Pod really gave him the dickens as the infection was spreading to a large area of his foot.Take care and hope things work for you as gee foot troubles and now nails?

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 18:04 (083274)

just one tiny little piece of calcification poking in there...nothing infected or nasty.
Thanks ....I am asking the Pod tomorrow bout getting it taken care of.

wendyn on 5/09/02 at 20:32 (083301)

Carmen, it may be the way you are trimming your toes rather than the shoes.

Don't do any more home surgery. (There, I told you anyway)

Wear sandals or other open toed sandals till this goes away.

Put some polysporin or other antibiotic lotion on it, and keep it clean. You can try to put a little bit of cotton underneath the edge of the nail where it's digging into the skin. Might help if you can get it in there without hurting yourself more.

If you think it's actually infected, you must see a doctor (they usually aren't but keep an eye on it).

Once it settles down, try to trim your toenails a little longer than you were, and never chop down the edges.

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 07:24 (083342)

Done it done it done it.
sigh.....thank you Wendy....actually I trim straight across...my grandmother had the same problems all her life so I learned about all the things not to do.
The ingrown part? Is AT THE BOTTOM of my toe nail. Like the base of the nail...can you believe that?
It only started after wearing shoes constantly even though the toe box has plenty of room...I don't get it.
Oh well..it's not infected...I am just a baby from the pain.
Unfortunately I can't wear sandals for too long...the birks don't give me enough support on the sides of my feet. :o(
Thank you though...I will just sit with it and see if it goes away.

wendyn on 5/10/02 at 07:47 (083351)

That's too bad Carmen, I've had some trouble with them lower down...but that was a long time ago when I wore real shoes. Maybe it is your shoes?

Have you ever had a podiatrist check out your toenails?

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 18:11 (083465)

Yes...my toenails look so normal no one can see any abnormality...same with my feet. totally look normal.
I am getting them to take the darn corner off of it next weds after the ESWT...while i am still sedated.
they put goo on it and it won't grow back. Perfect for me!

Anthony P on 5/10/02 at 23:08 (083500)

Hi Carmen, No the home surgery didnt work for me either. Back in Feb. I had a infection of my nail of my great toe . my doc gave me
meditation and said soak in epsom salt three times a day ,clean with proxcide , keep area dry , I used cotton to keep aera clean and dry when wearing shoes . It got better until ......
Now with my new job I'm wearing new shoes and the problem is back again the other day I worked a 10 hour shift and puss came
out of the out side of my nail . I 'm now soaking everyday with some improvment . Feel better Anthony P

Suzanne D on 5/11/02 at 15:48 (083551)

I had been wondering about how it was going for you, Anthony, since you started your new job! Aside from the infection, how are your feet holding up?

I hope your infection clears up and that things are going well for you otherwise!

Anthony P on 5/11/02 at 21:44 (083577)

Hi Suzanne, I like my new job but its not so good for my feet. 10 to 12 hour days on concrete floors no chairs or rubber mats at the work stations. My boss is getting these for us soon ??!!!
I must tape my feet before work, I wear a ace bandage on my left (surgery) foot ,since I started work I now notice that my ankle is weak and at times gives out . After work r.i.c.e . I'm off to a rough start but I will beat this thing. So I though I was feeling better, until I got back to work :(
thanks venting is good Anthony P

Carmen on 5/12/02 at 09:26 (083606)

Sorry to hear about your toe being infected...I have been fortunate enough that it has never gotten to that point. And won't sicne I am taking care of it Weds.
I hope you get better SOON.

Suzanne D on 5/12/02 at 18:28 (083656)

I'm sorry you have no mats and cannot sit. That must be extremely hard, Anthony! I hope you get a mat soon! I'm not sure what you do, but could you do it sitting on a high stool so you could get off your feet some?

I'm sorry you're off to a rough start, but I applaud your positive attitude! I understand what you mean about thinking you're better and then finding out you're not quite as healed as you thought.

Take care,

Julie on 5/13/02 at 03:05 (083677)

Anthony., the ???!!! after your comment about the boss makes me wonder if you shouldn't be buying a good rubber mat for yourself. Why wait?

Re: Another bad day : (

Anthony P on 5/13/02 at 21:18 (083765)

I know Julie ,I now have rugs down at my work area , looks like I will be buying the mat myself , Today was a bad day , I'm now wondering about these new shoes I got for this Job . They're now starting to bother both big toe nails with pain so bad that its affecting the metatarsal joint s bunion s on both feet . My feet are on Ice right now I'm a mess
Tomorrow I'm wearing my sneakers to work . Looks like another doctor visit for me .
I will Keep you all posted Anthony P