Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My trainers

Posted by Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 03:49 (083331)

Could someone explain to me why my Nike Air trainers are not suitable for me with PF. When I walk, as they curve up at the toe end, I don't need to bend my foot so much.
Ellen suggested I had high arches which, I think she is right and that could be my problem. The pain started on the outside edge of my heel in both feet which could mean, as she said, that I roll my feet on the outside when I walk. Also the arch and all of the heel of my right foot(original foot) hurts now badly, as if someone has wacked it with a baseball bat.

So, I thought the Nike Airs would be suitable as I'm not bending so much as I'm walking. Am I totally wrong? Considering what I have explained about my foot.

Re: My trainers

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 04:09 (083332)

Correction. The arch of my foot isn't in constant pain like the heel. It's more like a spasm sometimes when I walk, as if I'm going to get bad cramp.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 06:37 (083335)

Rachel, my Nike Air's are the same. Many people here have had similar difficulties with Nike's. In general, Nike's are not a good shoe for people with PF. The problem is not with you; it's with the Nike's.

New Balance seem to be a better athletic shoe for many who have PF. If it doesn't have to be an athletic shoe, I'd recommend trying Birkenstocks which are very popular among many of us here.

Don't try to wear your Nike's any more; they aren't good for your feet right now.

Carole C

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 07:08 (083340)

O.K. Thanks Carole.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 07:19 (083341)

Rachel, when my arches start to cramp up like that, I feel it's a warning! If it's just a mild spasm, I sometimes just stop and wiggle my foot a little while standing so that it will go away. But if it's a sharp, painful spasm/cramp, it can be pretty scary. I look for a place to sit as soon as possible and then I do my gentle stretching while seated and try to relax my foot. My thinking is that if the tissues are cramped and shortened due to the cramping, walking could easily strain something or cause a minor tear leading to a setback.

Carole C

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 04:09 (083332)

Correction. The arch of my foot isn't in constant pain like the heel. It's more like a spasm sometimes when I walk, as if I'm going to get bad cramp.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 06:37 (083335)

Rachel, my Nike Air's are the same. Many people here have had similar difficulties with Nike's. In general, Nike's are not a good shoe for people with PF. The problem is not with you; it's with the Nike's.

New Balance seem to be a better athletic shoe for many who have PF. If it doesn't have to be an athletic shoe, I'd recommend trying Birkenstocks which are very popular among many of us here.

Don't try to wear your Nike's any more; they aren't good for your feet right now.

Carole C

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 07:08 (083340)

O.K. Thanks Carole.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 07:19 (083341)

Rachel, when my arches start to cramp up like that, I feel it's a warning! If it's just a mild spasm, I sometimes just stop and wiggle my foot a little while standing so that it will go away. But if it's a sharp, painful spasm/cramp, it can be pretty scary. I look for a place to sit as soon as possible and then I do my gentle stretching while seated and try to relax my foot. My thinking is that if the tissues are cramped and shortened due to the cramping, walking could easily strain something or cause a minor tear leading to a setback.

Carole C