Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF COMPLICATIONS

Posted by AYESHA R. on 5/10/02 at 08:59 (083361)

I had epf back in november 2001. the heel feels good, now the outter side of my foot is aching me. doc says i have a common condition of epf called cuboid syndrome. anyone know about this? specifically, what are the treatments for it? he gave me a cortizone shot which helped some, but i can only receive 2 more shots. what's he gonna do next?

Re: EPF COMPLICATIONS

john h on 5/10/02 at 11:50 (083406)

Yes that pain on the opposite side of the foot is indeed very common and from what I read should go away on its own in about 6 months to a year after surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/02 at 13:46 (083442)

It is a common complication although it is easy to treat so I probably would not hobble around for that long. Treatment includes... taping, calcaneocuboid joint manipulation, injection therapy, special orthotics...
Ed

Re: Orthotics?

BrianG on 5/10/02 at 17:02 (083455)

Hi Ayesha R,

I too had an EPF a couple years ago. A couple different doctors said it was very important to wear a good pair of orthotics from then on. Are you wearing any? Good luck

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/02 at 21:06 (083491)

Brian:

Since the plantar fascia which is a supporting structure of the arch is released in surgery it becomes even more important to wear orthotic after such surgery.
Ed

john h on 5/10/02 at 11:50 (083406)

Yes that pain on the opposite side of the foot is indeed very common and from what I read should go away on its own in about 6 months to a year after surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/02 at 13:46 (083442)

It is a common complication although it is easy to treat so I probably would not hobble around for that long. Treatment includes... taping, calcaneocuboid joint manipulation, injection therapy, special orthotics...
Ed

BrianG on 5/10/02 at 17:02 (083455)

Hi Ayesha R,

I too had an EPF a couple years ago. A couple different doctors said it was very important to wear a good pair of orthotics from then on. Are you wearing any? Good luck

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/02 at 21:06 (083491)

Brian:

Since the plantar fascia which is a supporting structure of the arch is released in surgery it becomes even more important to wear orthotic after such surgery.
Ed