Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Carole...

Posted by Rich on 5/10/02 at 09:17 (083365)

Hey Carole! Notice your absence here....are you okay?

Richelle

Re: To Carole...

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 09:34 (083370)

Hi Rich! I thought you were the one that was absent. LOL I have been reading your posts this morning and enjoying them. I'm glad you have been able to swim and ride your recumbent bike. :)

I'm doing great. I am still at a pain level of 1/2 to 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, but I have been regaining my mobility and doing a lot of activities I haven't been able to do for a long time. If I was more patient I probably would be better by now, but the pain really isn't that much of a deterrent any more.

In the last week I've single-handedly brought home and assembled a four drawer dresser, two night stands, and a stand for the new 32' TV which I just bought. These are very heavy and require a lot of lifting and physical activity I wasn't used to, and I feel great even so. I also redecorated my guest bathroom (as much as one can in an apartment), set up my fish tank again, and brought home some fake houseplants. I ride my recumbent bike every day too. I couldn't have done any of this in February. I am really enjoying life.

Carole C

Rich on 5/10/02 at 11:38 (083395)

Glad to hear you are really enjoying your life again. That's the one thing non-sufferers don't understand. It's really hard to watch from the sidelines!

My dad had a total knee replacement on Tuesday and is going home today! Yeah! He is doing really well, considering the pain. He had his other knee done about eleven months ago and was prepared this time for what to expect.

Yes, I was at the hospital all day on Tuesday! Lots of pain since! I have to tell you...I did something really stupid this week!! I went blackberry picking with one of my neighbors. Climb a fence and everything to get to the big ones! I slipped and landed on my bad foot! I managed to walk it out for awhile but by the time we got home I was in bad shape. And this was Monday night. I almost didn't make it to the hospital Tuesday morning for Dad's surgery. But I made it right before they took him to pre-op and stayed till he came back from recovery. I had a nagging nasal drip that whole day and woke up Wednesday with a raging sinus/allergy thing. Haven't worked all week!

Hubby surprised me Monday night with my bike, it was all set up and I couldn't even try it out. Finally, Tuesday night I tried it and I love it. Managed to ride for five minutes..about a mile at lowest setting. Haven't felt good enough to try again yet. Feeling better today, so thought I would stay home one more day to rest and pick up in the house a little bit....LAUNDRY!!!

Funny, when you are sick that the laundry fairies don't come!!!

I had a wonderful weekend...our pool finally warmed up and we have been swimming since Thursday of last week. My parents took the girls over the weekend so I was able to relax. Didn't do a thing, but swim and watch hubby working on our deck. Poor thing, never stops!

We've been sticking to the baked/grilled chicken and salads and drinking lots of water! As soon as I get over this sinus thing, I can really focus on some non-weight bearing exercises. Hubby's losing inches faster than me, but that's usually easier for men...Ugh!

I can just imagine how excited you must be with your new purchases! I love refurbishing rooms to give a new look! I bought everything to do redo my kitchen theme last year and still haven't done it. Need to change border first and waiting till I can climb on a chair. Switching to birdhouses and stuff! Don't overdo it but I won't tell you to stop!!

My pain is better since Monday, haven't really taken anything except one Ultram Monday night. The rest has helped my foot and of course...ICE!!!

I still use the crutches first thing in the morning till the kinks work out, but overall I am managing in my NB's. Glad to be out of that boot!!

I have some really nice muscle tone on that one leg in the thigh area! LOL

Well....back to my laundry!!

Richelle

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 13:09 (083432)

Richelle, which bike did he get you? was it the one you were looking at? I think that a mile in 5 minutes rocks! Congratulations on that. I am so sorry to hear about your fall while blackberry picking, and I hope you recover from that setback quickly. At least you got some healthy, fresh blackberries. I love them too.

When those laundry fairies show up, teach them to do dishes too and send them my way, please? LOL

Grilled chicken salads and water... you are going to lose weight fast! I have been having a hard time staying away from the carbohydrates lately, like rice and oatmeal and so on. I'm maintaining, at least.

You are right; I'm so excited with my new purchases. It is so nice to be able to walk enough to go buy things. My new TV is the first one I've owned over 19'. I am waiting for a call to see if they can move the delivery date up to this Sunday! I went to Wal-mart today and bought some DVD's to test it out when they get the DVD player hooked up.

I am so glad that you are doing ok in your NB's. I was afraid that it might be disastrous to ditch the boot so early, and I'm glad I was wrong! Just stay off the fences and pretty soon you will be feeling like that zoo trip we've been planning. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/10/02 at 19:54 (083481)

Wow, Carole! That's great! It sounds as if you are really and truly almost healed, and I am so happy for you! I can 'hear' the enthusiasm in your posts, and I enjoy reading about all the things you are able to do now. 'Success breeds success' I have often heard, so I will look forward to hearing more and more good stories from you!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 21:04 (083490)

Suzanne, I am really enjoying life so much. You probably remember me posting that I had bad mobility problems for several years due to my arthritis and overweight, and had tackled that with Celebrex and Weight Watchers and felt I was taking my life back, for me. I was just getting more mobile when I injured my PF and had to rest again. So it's really been years since I could do this kind of thing.

And yes, I'm very happy and enthusiastic about it! It amazes me how much I can do. I feel so independant and capable, at last. I'm able to do more and more all the time, although I still feel about the same pain level. It's not much, though, so I have no complaint. :)

I was going to say I didn't do much today, until I realized that I went to Circuit City and Super Wal-Mart. I hardly noticed. (grin)

Carole C

Re: botanical garden

Carole C in NOLA on 5/11/02 at 12:26 (083535)

I just spent this morning at the Botanical Garden in City Park here in New Orleans. As Botanical Gardens go, it's kind of small so I covered the whole thing. What fun this was! They had not one, but TWO rose gardens in it, one for modern hybrid teas and one for old roses. The prettiest roses were great huge shapely red roses on a large bush with dark green foliage. When I looked at the name, it was 'Mr. Lincoln'. Of course! That is such a pretty rose.

The garden as a whole was beautifully laid out, with lots of pools and fountains, statuary, arbors, shaded benches and expansive lawns. The plants included more azaleas, boxwood, annuals, and oaks than I might have included and the roses looked like they need some weekly TLC although they were quite healthy and had been pruned at some past date, at least once. Still, it was so peaceful and quiet and lovely. I should have taken a book to read on one of the benches.

The paths were intricate and winding, some of bricks, some of concrete, but a surprising proportion of the paths were grassy which I really appreciated. The grass was smooth and the grassy paths were a little convex which felt good on my feet. Birds were chirping and twittering and butterflies fluttering in the morning sun cheered me so much. I wore my NB's and had no foot problems, though I sat on benches three times because it was peaceful and pretty, shady with a light breeze and I wanted to 'hang out' there.

I have not been to a botanical garden for ten years, and this was something that I dreamed of doing again one day, back when I was in more PF pain last winter. I hesitate before posting this kind of post because I know the pain and misery a lot of you are going through, and I wished each of you could have 'borrowed my feet' for a day to go do this too.

There is light at the end of the PF tunnel; it just takes a loooooong time to get there. I wish I could throw a lifeline to each of you but I don't know how.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 09:34 (083370)

Hi Rich! I thought you were the one that was absent. LOL I have been reading your posts this morning and enjoying them. I'm glad you have been able to swim and ride your recumbent bike. :)

I'm doing great. I am still at a pain level of 1/2 to 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, but I have been regaining my mobility and doing a lot of activities I haven't been able to do for a long time. If I was more patient I probably would be better by now, but the pain really isn't that much of a deterrent any more.

In the last week I've single-handedly brought home and assembled a four drawer dresser, two night stands, and a stand for the new 32' TV which I just bought. These are very heavy and require a lot of lifting and physical activity I wasn't used to, and I feel great even so. I also redecorated my guest bathroom (as much as one can in an apartment), set up my fish tank again, and brought home some fake houseplants. I ride my recumbent bike every day too. I couldn't have done any of this in February. I am really enjoying life.

Carole C

Rich on 5/10/02 at 11:38 (083395)

Glad to hear you are really enjoying your life again. That's the one thing non-sufferers don't understand. It's really hard to watch from the sidelines!

My dad had a total knee replacement on Tuesday and is going home today! Yeah! He is doing really well, considering the pain. He had his other knee done about eleven months ago and was prepared this time for what to expect.

Yes, I was at the hospital all day on Tuesday! Lots of pain since! I have to tell you...I did something really stupid this week!! I went blackberry picking with one of my neighbors. Climb a fence and everything to get to the big ones! I slipped and landed on my bad foot! I managed to walk it out for awhile but by the time we got home I was in bad shape. And this was Monday night. I almost didn't make it to the hospital Tuesday morning for Dad's surgery. But I made it right before they took him to pre-op and stayed till he came back from recovery. I had a nagging nasal drip that whole day and woke up Wednesday with a raging sinus/allergy thing. Haven't worked all week!

Hubby surprised me Monday night with my bike, it was all set up and I couldn't even try it out. Finally, Tuesday night I tried it and I love it. Managed to ride for five minutes..about a mile at lowest setting. Haven't felt good enough to try again yet. Feeling better today, so thought I would stay home one more day to rest and pick up in the house a little bit....LAUNDRY!!!

Funny, when you are sick that the laundry fairies don't come!!!

I had a wonderful weekend...our pool finally warmed up and we have been swimming since Thursday of last week. My parents took the girls over the weekend so I was able to relax. Didn't do a thing, but swim and watch hubby working on our deck. Poor thing, never stops!

We've been sticking to the baked/grilled chicken and salads and drinking lots of water! As soon as I get over this sinus thing, I can really focus on some non-weight bearing exercises. Hubby's losing inches faster than me, but that's usually easier for men...Ugh!

I can just imagine how excited you must be with your new purchases! I love refurbishing rooms to give a new look! I bought everything to do redo my kitchen theme last year and still haven't done it. Need to change border first and waiting till I can climb on a chair. Switching to birdhouses and stuff! Don't overdo it but I won't tell you to stop!!

My pain is better since Monday, haven't really taken anything except one Ultram Monday night. The rest has helped my foot and of course...ICE!!!

I still use the crutches first thing in the morning till the kinks work out, but overall I am managing in my NB's. Glad to be out of that boot!!

I have some really nice muscle tone on that one leg in the thigh area! LOL

Well....back to my laundry!!

Richelle

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 13:09 (083432)

Richelle, which bike did he get you? was it the one you were looking at? I think that a mile in 5 minutes rocks! Congratulations on that. I am so sorry to hear about your fall while blackberry picking, and I hope you recover from that setback quickly. At least you got some healthy, fresh blackberries. I love them too.

When those laundry fairies show up, teach them to do dishes too and send them my way, please? LOL

Grilled chicken salads and water... you are going to lose weight fast! I have been having a hard time staying away from the carbohydrates lately, like rice and oatmeal and so on. I'm maintaining, at least.

You are right; I'm so excited with my new purchases. It is so nice to be able to walk enough to go buy things. My new TV is the first one I've owned over 19'. I am waiting for a call to see if they can move the delivery date up to this Sunday! I went to Wal-mart today and bought some DVD's to test it out when they get the DVD player hooked up.

I am so glad that you are doing ok in your NB's. I was afraid that it might be disastrous to ditch the boot so early, and I'm glad I was wrong! Just stay off the fences and pretty soon you will be feeling like that zoo trip we've been planning. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/10/02 at 19:54 (083481)

Wow, Carole! That's great! It sounds as if you are really and truly almost healed, and I am so happy for you! I can 'hear' the enthusiasm in your posts, and I enjoy reading about all the things you are able to do now. 'Success breeds success' I have often heard, so I will look forward to hearing more and more good stories from you!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 21:04 (083490)

Suzanne, I am really enjoying life so much. You probably remember me posting that I had bad mobility problems for several years due to my arthritis and overweight, and had tackled that with Celebrex and Weight Watchers and felt I was taking my life back, for me. I was just getting more mobile when I injured my PF and had to rest again. So it's really been years since I could do this kind of thing.

And yes, I'm very happy and enthusiastic about it! It amazes me how much I can do. I feel so independant and capable, at last. I'm able to do more and more all the time, although I still feel about the same pain level. It's not much, though, so I have no complaint. :)

I was going to say I didn't do much today, until I realized that I went to Circuit City and Super Wal-Mart. I hardly noticed. (grin)

Carole C

Re: botanical garden

Carole C in NOLA on 5/11/02 at 12:26 (083535)

I just spent this morning at the Botanical Garden in City Park here in New Orleans. As Botanical Gardens go, it's kind of small so I covered the whole thing. What fun this was! They had not one, but TWO rose gardens in it, one for modern hybrid teas and one for old roses. The prettiest roses were great huge shapely red roses on a large bush with dark green foliage. When I looked at the name, it was 'Mr. Lincoln'. Of course! That is such a pretty rose.

The garden as a whole was beautifully laid out, with lots of pools and fountains, statuary, arbors, shaded benches and expansive lawns. The plants included more azaleas, boxwood, annuals, and oaks than I might have included and the roses looked like they need some weekly TLC although they were quite healthy and had been pruned at some past date, at least once. Still, it was so peaceful and quiet and lovely. I should have taken a book to read on one of the benches.

The paths were intricate and winding, some of bricks, some of concrete, but a surprising proportion of the paths were grassy which I really appreciated. The grass was smooth and the grassy paths were a little convex which felt good on my feet. Birds were chirping and twittering and butterflies fluttering in the morning sun cheered me so much. I wore my NB's and had no foot problems, though I sat on benches three times because it was peaceful and pretty, shady with a light breeze and I wanted to 'hang out' there.

I have not been to a botanical garden for ten years, and this was something that I dreamed of doing again one day, back when I was in more PF pain last winter. I hesitate before posting this kind of post because I know the pain and misery a lot of you are going through, and I wished each of you could have 'borrowed my feet' for a day to go do this too.

There is light at the end of the PF tunnel; it just takes a loooooong time to get there. I wish I could throw a lifeline to each of you but I don't know how.

Carole C