Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

topical anti-infammatory-any such thing?

Posted by Ellen J. on 5/10/02 at 17:53 (083461)

Hi,
I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a topical anti-inflammatory, either prescription, non-prescription or alterative meds such as naturopathic? (am using ice, but would like to try other things also).
Thanks!
Ellen J.

Re: typo correction--should read: "Anti-inflammatory"

Ellen J. on 5/10/02 at 17:56 (083462)

Sorry, even though I proof read I still miss some typos.

Re: topical anti-infammatory-any such thing?

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 18:15 (083467)

Yes Ellen there are many many options out there.....someone here will give you some ideas...I never spent any money on the topicals.

Re: Re:Carmen's note

Ellen J. on 5/10/02 at 18:26 (083468)

Hi Carmen,
I went to the doctor thursday and asked her the question. She said there is no such thing as a topical anti-inflammatory. I then went and asked a pharmacist and he said the same thing. However, not being one to take 'no' for an answer until I've exhausted all sources, I had to ask the question here, as it sure seems like there must be something out there. I'm not talking pain relievers alone, I want the anti-inflammatory effect because I believe that is the key to helping heal the heel (just a tiny pun!).
Thanks for giving me some hope that something might be out there,
Ellen J.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/02 at 21:02 (083489)

Search this site for discussions of Dolgit gel or cream. It is a topical ibuprofen cream -- works very well. Additionally, compounding pharmacists can custom make topical anti-inflammatories. The advantages of topical anti-inflammatories is the ability to apply the medication directly to the area to be treated. Virtually impossible to absorb a toxic dose.
Ed

Sharon W on 5/10/02 at 21:52 (083493)

Ellen,

Topical anti-inflammatory creams are not popular in the U.S., but your Dr. and your pharmacist are both wrong when they say that there is 'no such thing'. Living in South America, I discovered Voltaren cream (an anti-inflammatory that you rub on right where it hurts!) and I have found it especially useful now that I have foot problems. Why it is not regularly sold by any pharmaceutical company here in the U.S. for prescription use, I don't know, but my Dr. wrote me a prescription for it and a local pharmacist made it up for me. His concoction seems a little too 'greasy', but it works OK.

-- Sharon

Re: Bluestuff

Jane on 5/11/02 at 07:38 (083508)

I have not read the responses to your questions so I apologize If I'm repeating something.....but there's been a info mercial on something called....bluestuff....that is supposed to take away the pain because it contains 'emu oil'.....I havent' researched it yet but will look into it...starting here with the docs. :) I've been suffering for over 2 years in both feet and willing to try anything!

Re: Thanks, Dr. Ed Davis!

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 07:47 (083514)

Hi
I really appreciate that info. I'll check with my doctor about the Dolgit gel and ask about compounding. In fact, there's a compounding lab here in my town in Vermont. They are very nice and helpful people, who have compounded medicatiions for me to apply to my injured wild animals. (They do vet and human med. compounding).
Thanks again!
Ellen

Re: Jane's note

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 08:13 (083516)

Hi Jane,
Sounds like you've had P.F. almost as long as I have (for me, it's almost 3 years as of June coming up). I did see the commercials about Bluestuff, and wonder if it's just a pain reliever or an anti-inflammatory. I'm looking for the anti-inflammatory part because I believe that is they key to helping the feet heal. I was on Celebrex for 3 days and ended up with a mouthful of the worst canker sores I've ever had. I had 10 canker sores but luckily they are starting to go away. So I need something topical rather than systemic to fight inflammation.
Thanks for the idea--I'll check out the Bluestuff. Also, please read Dr. Davis' note, as he mentions Dolgit. I'm going to try and get a prescrip. for that today. Will let you all know how it works once I get it.
Ellen

Joyce on 5/13/02 at 13:37 (083706)

Hi
I have ordere the bluestuff, and used it for a month and got no change in pain nor did it lessen anything. Just thought i would let you know. It is the same as icy hot, biofreeze, all those types of creams.

Avery B. on 5/13/02 at 22:00 (083770)

I have tried a number of products and found that anything that containes Trolamine Salicylate will at least give some relief. Good luck.

Re: typo correction--should read: "Anti-inflammatory"

Ellen J. on 5/10/02 at 17:56 (083462)

Sorry, even though I proof read I still miss some typos.

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 18:15 (083467)

Yes Ellen there are many many options out there.....someone here will give you some ideas...I never spent any money on the topicals.

Ellen J. on 5/10/02 at 18:26 (083468)

Hi Carmen,
I went to the doctor thursday and asked her the question. She said there is no such thing as a topical anti-inflammatory. I then went and asked a pharmacist and he said the same thing. However, not being one to take 'no' for an answer until I've exhausted all sources, I had to ask the question here, as it sure seems like there must be something out there. I'm not talking pain relievers alone, I want the anti-inflammatory effect because I believe that is the key to helping heal the heel (just a tiny pun!).
Thanks for giving me some hope that something might be out there,
Ellen J.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/02 at 21:02 (083489)

Search this site for discussions of Dolgit gel or cream. It is a topical ibuprofen cream -- works very well. Additionally, compounding pharmacists can custom make topical anti-inflammatories. The advantages of topical anti-inflammatories is the ability to apply the medication directly to the area to be treated. Virtually impossible to absorb a toxic dose.
Ed

Sharon W on 5/10/02 at 21:52 (083493)

Ellen,

Topical anti-inflammatory creams are not popular in the U.S., but your Dr. and your pharmacist are both wrong when they say that there is 'no such thing'. Living in South America, I discovered Voltaren cream (an anti-inflammatory that you rub on right where it hurts!) and I have found it especially useful now that I have foot problems. Why it is not regularly sold by any pharmaceutical company here in the U.S. for prescription use, I don't know, but my Dr. wrote me a prescription for it and a local pharmacist made it up for me. His concoction seems a little too 'greasy', but it works OK.

-- Sharon

Jane on 5/11/02 at 07:38 (083508)

I have not read the responses to your questions so I apologize If I'm repeating something.....but there's been a info mercial on something called....bluestuff....that is supposed to take away the pain because it contains 'emu oil'.....I havent' researched it yet but will look into it...starting here with the docs. :) I've been suffering for over 2 years in both feet and willing to try anything!

Re: Thanks, Dr. Ed Davis!

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 07:47 (083514)

Hi
I really appreciate that info. I'll check with my doctor about the Dolgit gel and ask about compounding. In fact, there's a compounding lab here in my town in Vermont. They are very nice and helpful people, who have compounded medicatiions for me to apply to my injured wild animals. (They do vet and human med. compounding).
Thanks again!
Ellen

Re: Jane's note

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 08:13 (083516)

Hi Jane,
Sounds like you've had P.F. almost as long as I have (for me, it's almost 3 years as of June coming up). I did see the commercials about Bluestuff, and wonder if it's just a pain reliever or an anti-inflammatory. I'm looking for the anti-inflammatory part because I believe that is they key to helping the feet heal. I was on Celebrex for 3 days and ended up with a mouthful of the worst canker sores I've ever had. I had 10 canker sores but luckily they are starting to go away. So I need something topical rather than systemic to fight inflammation.
Thanks for the idea--I'll check out the Bluestuff. Also, please read Dr. Davis' note, as he mentions Dolgit. I'm going to try and get a prescrip. for that today. Will let you all know how it works once I get it.
Ellen

Joyce on 5/13/02 at 13:37 (083706)

Hi
I have ordere the bluestuff, and used it for a month and got no change in pain nor did it lessen anything. Just thought i would let you know. It is the same as icy hot, biofreeze, all those types of creams.

Avery B. on 5/13/02 at 22:00 (083770)

I have tried a number of products and found that anything that containes Trolamine Salicylate will at least give some relief. Good luck.