Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bluestuff

Posted by Jane on 5/11/02 at 07:39 (083509)

I've seen infomercials on this stuff...it has emu oil and is an antiinflamatory creme....any thoughts or valid info before I give this a try....is it worth a try? Thanks in advance.

Re: Bluestuff

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 08:38 (083521)

Hi Jane,
I searched the message boards on this site for 'MSM' which is the active ingredient in Bluestuff. I found that out by going to the bluestuff website. I'm not sure, but MSM appears to be a derivative of DMSO which is used on horses from what I can remember. However, I'm not sure if DMSO is entirely non-toxic. My boyfriend has used DMSO and said that after applying it to the skin you can almost immediately taste it in your mouth which shows that it ends up getting into the system. He says that DMSO works wonders, however, on pain. Now I am not sure if MSM is truly a derivative of DMSO and maybe the doctors can clarify and/or correct what I'm saying. If MSM is non-toxic, it seems like it would be a good thing to try.
Ellen J.

Re: DMSO

Sharon W on 5/11/02 at 10:56 (083530)

DMSO was developed in the 1940s as an industrial solvent and is still used for that purpose. In the 1960s, it became popular as a topical medicine for sprains, arthritis, and sprains, until the FDA pulled the plug on it due to the serious side effects that had been discovered. These side effects seem to be mostly due to the fact that it is such a potent solvent. Upon contact with the skin it will be immediately absorbed into the bloodstream, carrying with it germs or chemicals from the skin's surface as well as any contaminants from the DMSO cream itself. (That's probably why your boyfriend 'tasted' it almost immdiately after putting it on his body. (Prescription DMSO is considered more 'pure' than over-the-counter preparations, and therefore puts fewer contaminants into the bloodstream.) Its more serious side effects are blurred vision, cataracts, and blood poisoning. Its most noticable side effect is an unpleasant body odor that people can notice within minutes of applying it to the body.

More recently, DMSO was approved by the FDA to treat interstitial cystitis. And it is currently being research as a treatment for cancer, stroke, autoimmune disorders, brain and spine injuries.

-- Sharon

Tammie on 5/11/02 at 18:08 (083562)

Hubby tried it for his arthritis , has not changed anything. Tho not everyone is the same . He had a friend who bought some and gave him some to try. But who knows if it works but did not for him.

Re: DMSO vs. Arnica compress

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 21:03 (083574)

I hear it's pretty effective, but since it's a mixture of ether and alcohol, it scares me too much to try it. What I currently do is, just before I get into bed I make arnica compresses for my feet. I put them on after all bedtime preps are done so that I don't walk on the compresses, because the edges of the tape can irritate the feet while walking. I use those extra-large bandaids (something like 2 1/2 x 3 inch pads on them, squeeze Arnica gel on them all over the pads, put the pads on the sore areas and then cover the bandaids with waterproof bandaging tape so that the arnica can't just evaporate during the night. In the morning the skin on my feet is all white and shriveled so I think the arnica must be penetrating. My feet are also less swollen. I then go and ice my feet while eating breakfast and that gives my feet a good 'anti-inflamed' start to the day. Some people cannot tolerate arnica, so if anyone wants to try it, I would suggest they just rub some on the skin first to see how well their skin reacts to it.
It's kind of depressing to wake up in the AM to bandaid packaging on the floor though--makes me feel like an invalid.
Thanks for giving some info on DMSO. I really appreciate all the help and information that everyone on this site provides. I am very grateful.
Ellen J.

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 21:08 (083575)

I've heard that Cayenne is good for arthritis, but don't know if taking the capsules or using the topical 'Capzaicin', is better. If your husband tries the Capzaicin, make sure he uses surgical gloves or finger cots to apply it, because the stuff doen't easily wash off the skin totally and all he would have to do is rub his eyes afterward and he would be in a bit of pain. That was my mistake--the pain did go away after a few minutes though. Don't put it on your feet as a compress--your feet will burn!!
Ellen

Pauline on 5/11/02 at 23:41 (083582)

Sharon,
Do you know if kids were using this in any form to get high?

Sharon W on 5/12/02 at 00:10 (083583)

Pauline,

I've never heard of such a thing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

-- Sharon

carolyn F. on 5/14/02 at 08:58 (083812)

i purchased Bluestuff and it didn't do a thing for me. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, but it has been a few months and i haven't seen a refund on my statement yet.

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 08:38 (083521)

Hi Jane,
I searched the message boards on this site for 'MSM' which is the active ingredient in Bluestuff. I found that out by going to the bluestuff website. I'm not sure, but MSM appears to be a derivative of DMSO which is used on horses from what I can remember. However, I'm not sure if DMSO is entirely non-toxic. My boyfriend has used DMSO and said that after applying it to the skin you can almost immediately taste it in your mouth which shows that it ends up getting into the system. He says that DMSO works wonders, however, on pain. Now I am not sure if MSM is truly a derivative of DMSO and maybe the doctors can clarify and/or correct what I'm saying. If MSM is non-toxic, it seems like it would be a good thing to try.
Ellen J.

Sharon W on 5/11/02 at 10:56 (083530)

DMSO was developed in the 1940s as an industrial solvent and is still used for that purpose. In the 1960s, it became popular as a topical medicine for sprains, arthritis, and sprains, until the FDA pulled the plug on it due to the serious side effects that had been discovered. These side effects seem to be mostly due to the fact that it is such a potent solvent. Upon contact with the skin it will be immediately absorbed into the bloodstream, carrying with it germs or chemicals from the skin's surface as well as any contaminants from the DMSO cream itself. (That's probably why your boyfriend 'tasted' it almost immdiately after putting it on his body. (Prescription DMSO is considered more 'pure' than over-the-counter preparations, and therefore puts fewer contaminants into the bloodstream.) Its more serious side effects are blurred vision, cataracts, and blood poisoning. Its most noticable side effect is an unpleasant body odor that people can notice within minutes of applying it to the body.

More recently, DMSO was approved by the FDA to treat interstitial cystitis. And it is currently being research as a treatment for cancer, stroke, autoimmune disorders, brain and spine injuries.

-- Sharon

Tammie on 5/11/02 at 18:08 (083562)

Hubby tried it for his arthritis , has not changed anything. Tho not everyone is the same . He had a friend who bought some and gave him some to try. But who knows if it works but did not for him.

Re: DMSO vs. Arnica compress

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 21:03 (083574)

I hear it's pretty effective, but since it's a mixture of ether and alcohol, it scares me too much to try it. What I currently do is, just before I get into bed I make arnica compresses for my feet. I put them on after all bedtime preps are done so that I don't walk on the compresses, because the edges of the tape can irritate the feet while walking. I use those extra-large bandaids (something like 2 1/2 x 3 inch pads on them, squeeze Arnica gel on them all over the pads, put the pads on the sore areas and then cover the bandaids with waterproof bandaging tape so that the arnica can't just evaporate during the night. In the morning the skin on my feet is all white and shriveled so I think the arnica must be penetrating. My feet are also less swollen. I then go and ice my feet while eating breakfast and that gives my feet a good 'anti-inflamed' start to the day. Some people cannot tolerate arnica, so if anyone wants to try it, I would suggest they just rub some on the skin first to see how well their skin reacts to it.
It's kind of depressing to wake up in the AM to bandaid packaging on the floor though--makes me feel like an invalid.
Thanks for giving some info on DMSO. I really appreciate all the help and information that everyone on this site provides. I am very grateful.
Ellen J.

Ellen J. on 5/11/02 at 21:08 (083575)

I've heard that Cayenne is good for arthritis, but don't know if taking the capsules or using the topical 'Capzaicin', is better. If your husband tries the Capzaicin, make sure he uses surgical gloves or finger cots to apply it, because the stuff doen't easily wash off the skin totally and all he would have to do is rub his eyes afterward and he would be in a bit of pain. That was my mistake--the pain did go away after a few minutes though. Don't put it on your feet as a compress--your feet will burn!!
Ellen

Pauline on 5/11/02 at 23:41 (083582)

Sharon,
Do you know if kids were using this in any form to get high?

Sharon W on 5/12/02 at 00:10 (083583)

Pauline,

I've never heard of such a thing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

-- Sharon

carolyn F. on 5/14/02 at 08:58 (083812)

i purchased Bluestuff and it didn't do a thing for me. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, but it has been a few months and i haven't seen a refund on my statement yet.