Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian G....

Posted by Jane on 5/11/02 at 13:51 (083542)

You mentioned you had EPF Surgery a few years ago....how are you today? How long was the healing process?

Re: EPF, the procedure of the past !

BrianG on 5/11/02 at 21:41 (083576)

Hi Jane,

I had the failed EPF surgery on my worst foot, in Sept of 1999. I think I had the PF in that foot about 5 years at that time. My doctor led me to believe I would have a very quick healing, that I'd be back in athletic shoes in less than a week. The pain from the surgery was much worse than I was led to believe. He used the older, 2 portal method, which makes a cut (and hole) clear through your heel. Apparently not enough of the fascia was cut, which led to the failure. I was in bad pain for a couple weeks, as well as on crutches. I think the healing finally took about 4 months.

You should realize that everyone heals differently, and you could have better, or worse results than I did. I was out of work at the time, so I could put the time into icing, and resting my feet. Some people are not as lucky, and develope nerve type problems (TTS). I would save the surgery for very last, and I would NOT get the EPF again. Despite what the lituature says, it is very hard for the doctor to see how much of the fascia he is cutting. They claim it has an 80% cure rate, I DOUBT IT !!!!!

To answer your question, I ended up going back to work, after 4 months, but my pain in both heels steadily got worse, until I was finally unable to work 18 months later. I've been out of work since Oct, and am waiting on a SSD determination. One thing I did right before the EPF surgery was ask my doctor for a round of antibiotics. As I hardly ever take them, I thought it would be good insurance. I didn't have any infection of any type. If PF is your only problem, ESWT is a much better treatment. Good luck

BrianG

Re: EPF, the procedure of the past !

BrianG on 5/11/02 at 21:41 (083576)

Hi Jane,

I had the failed EPF surgery on my worst foot, in Sept of 1999. I think I had the PF in that foot about 5 years at that time. My doctor led me to believe I would have a very quick healing, that I'd be back in athletic shoes in less than a week. The pain from the surgery was much worse than I was led to believe. He used the older, 2 portal method, which makes a cut (and hole) clear through your heel. Apparently not enough of the fascia was cut, which led to the failure. I was in bad pain for a couple weeks, as well as on crutches. I think the healing finally took about 4 months.

You should realize that everyone heals differently, and you could have better, or worse results than I did. I was out of work at the time, so I could put the time into icing, and resting my feet. Some people are not as lucky, and develope nerve type problems (TTS). I would save the surgery for very last, and I would NOT get the EPF again. Despite what the lituature says, it is very hard for the doctor to see how much of the fascia he is cutting. They claim it has an 80% cure rate, I DOUBT IT !!!!!

To answer your question, I ended up going back to work, after 4 months, but my pain in both heels steadily got worse, until I was finally unable to work 18 months later. I've been out of work since Oct, and am waiting on a SSD determination. One thing I did right before the EPF surgery was ask my doctor for a round of antibiotics. As I hardly ever take them, I thought it would be good insurance. I didn't have any infection of any type. If PF is your only problem, ESWT is a much better treatment. Good luck

BrianG