Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rachael and Carole...

Posted by Suzanne D on 5/11/02 at 15:27 (083547)

Hello to both of you! I appreciate your discussion in a post below and thought I'd just start this at the top and reply to both of you.

I iced last night after our field trip yesterday, and I think that helped. Actually, I was lucky that the Lincoln Museum where we went was begun a few years ago in a large, old department store building that has wood floors. There's no carpet, but at least it isn't concrete or marble! But of course there was much standing as I 'herded' the children from wax figure scene to scene and stood as the guide told us a lot about each. We did this for an hour, then went upstairs and viewed artifacts and memorabilia, finally sitting to watch a 20 minute video which gave a nice rest. Then we went to a picnic spot and ate sack lunches (can't supervise 23 first graders while sitting on a picnic bench!) and then on to Lincoln's Birthplace where there was more walking through the park and as we went up 56 steps to the building which houses the log cabin (I know how many steps because they have that number to represent the years of his life.) Then more standing around. But there was a film here, too, so that also helped. I have to say my children cooperated better than my feet! I was proud of how they behaved and listened and stood still at the appropriate times. We even sang a 5 verse song as we stood around the cabin about Lincoln's life which we had learned in February! Well, this is off the subject; I should have posted that on the social board!

I couldn't really rest today as my daughter's fiance graduated from college today - outdoor, football field, bleacher steps. But when I got home I iced again, and I changed from my Anapolis Birks to my SAS shoes. I feel better.

I HAVE thought about New Balance, Carole, and have read with interest all the posts about them. I just hate to buy another expensive pair of shoes again...But with the relief these SAS shoes have given me, if the New Balance would be that much better, I am tempted! I don't even really know if I pronate or not. I used to think after initial reading that I was a supinator. I'm pretty sure I have high arches (Pod told me so, and I've always thought I did compared to everyone else I've seen. My feet look like those ballet feet pictures. But then I did that wet foot on cardboard test that I read about, and they appeared to be average from that imprint. Perhaps they flatten out when I put my weight on them.) I noticed my shoes all wore out from the middle of the back to the outside, but have since read that doesn't mean one in suppinating. If I don't wear the Birk inserts, I think I feel that I roll inward too much, and wearing these inserts keep me from doing that. So maybe I pronate.

Then there are all those New Balance numbers to deal with. And the fact that I wear a size 11 and all athletic shoes just look so HUGE to me in that size! I always wore the Keds type tennis shoe because of that. Actually I have never worn tennis shoes too much as I always have worn dresses and skirts a lot. Of course my worry about whether my shoes look nice with what I'm wearing or how big they look on me and how clumsy they make me feel is irelevant to helping my feet, so I will just have to get over that.

Well, I am resting as I type, but I am probably wearing out anyone who is reading this! I will keep reading about New Balance shoes and perhaps I can get to a store in a city sometime that might have someone knowledgeable about shoes who can help me. So far, everywhere I've ever been that specializes in athletic shoes (shopping with my daughters) seems lacking in that department. I have found mostly young people working who bring shoes to you from the back, and that's about it.

I've always hated shoe shopping for myself - from the time I was in high school and needed a 10 or 10 1/2, and most stores near where I lived stopped at a 9 for women in most styles. The sales people would just look at me like I was weird for having such a long foot. Then if they DID carry my size, it was usually only in a medium width, and I have a narrow heel. Add to that the fact that I am tall and didn't want much heel, and the choices became quite limited! And that was before PF! :-)

Thanks for listening to all this rambling. Again, I am thankful for support and understanding as well as information learned here!

Re: Suzanne

Carole C in NOLA on 5/11/02 at 17:25 (083558)

I can see your dilemma, Suzanne! I have no idea how large they make lady's NB shoes, although the websites list them up to a 13 (but what they have in stock might be different). With a narrow heel you probably can't wear a man's shoe. Yes, they do look pretty clunky even in the 9.5 that I wear, but a lot of people wear them so I don't feel too conspicuous. I hate conspicuous shoes too.

I'm not sure if New Balance would do anything for you or not. It's a possibility, anyway. If you decide to get them, be careful of what number you get and make sure you can return them. I have the 879 which seems to be a pretty neutral cushioning shoe but I don't know if it would work for you or not. The heel seemed kind of big when I first got them, but between the runners loop that Donna showed me and also just getting better, they seem ok now. Not perfect, but good enough. The toe box is very wide even with my wide feet. I don't think they are necessarily *better* than SAS, just different. They have a LOT of cushioning and a nice firm notched heel counter, so if my feet are really going to take a pounding I like to wear them. You know how it is with PF; it helps to have different shoes. I can't really wear any of my shoes every day.

The NB 879 cost $90 just about everywhere. I can sure understand your reluctance to buy more shoes. But with Birkenstocks not working so well for you any more, you are really in a bind.

I'm hoping that since you teach, you can rest those feet over the summer and hopefully feel a lot better by fall. Have you ever tried taping? Julie and John had such good results with taping. You can tell that I'm casting forth any ideas that come to mind. I know that you know all of the conservative measures, but maybe there are some that you haven't tried for a while. I'm glad you're icing a lot!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/11/02 at 19:30 (083568)

Thanks, Carole, for responding here and on the Treatments board as well. (I posted there for you, too.) You know, I haven't taped for awhile, so I may just try that for a few days now. I had thought of that yesterday and wished when I left for the graduation this morning that I had remembered to do so today.

Yes, I hope to be able to rest a little more over the summer. We are on an 'alternative calendar' and are off a little less than 2 months, but that amount of time could be helpful! I must MAKE myself rest - even if I start feeling so much better again.

Before school begins again, I would like to have found another shoe that might really be helpful as well as the SAS. I want that to be a goal for me this summer!

I hope you are having a nice weekend! You'll have to post pictures of your newly fixed up apartment! Have you named your new fish yet?

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/11/02 at 21:02 (083573)

Even a month and a half should be a tremendous help, I'd think! And yes, you must MAKE yourself rest, because you won't have another chance like this for a while.

I haven't named my new fish yet, because the water in the new tank is cloudy to the point that I feel like it's not a good sign. I haven't been overfeeding them, and perhaps it will go away. I will change some of the water again tomorrow.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/11/02 at 17:25 (083558)

I can see your dilemma, Suzanne! I have no idea how large they make lady's NB shoes, although the websites list them up to a 13 (but what they have in stock might be different). With a narrow heel you probably can't wear a man's shoe. Yes, they do look pretty clunky even in the 9.5 that I wear, but a lot of people wear them so I don't feel too conspicuous. I hate conspicuous shoes too.

I'm not sure if New Balance would do anything for you or not. It's a possibility, anyway. If you decide to get them, be careful of what number you get and make sure you can return them. I have the 879 which seems to be a pretty neutral cushioning shoe but I don't know if it would work for you or not. The heel seemed kind of big when I first got them, but between the runners loop that Donna showed me and also just getting better, they seem ok now. Not perfect, but good enough. The toe box is very wide even with my wide feet. I don't think they are necessarily *better* than SAS, just different. They have a LOT of cushioning and a nice firm notched heel counter, so if my feet are really going to take a pounding I like to wear them. You know how it is with PF; it helps to have different shoes. I can't really wear any of my shoes every day.

The NB 879 cost $90 just about everywhere. I can sure understand your reluctance to buy more shoes. But with Birkenstocks not working so well for you any more, you are really in a bind.

I'm hoping that since you teach, you can rest those feet over the summer and hopefully feel a lot better by fall. Have you ever tried taping? Julie and John had such good results with taping. You can tell that I'm casting forth any ideas that come to mind. I know that you know all of the conservative measures, but maybe there are some that you haven't tried for a while. I'm glad you're icing a lot!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/11/02 at 19:30 (083568)

Thanks, Carole, for responding here and on the Treatments board as well. (I posted there for you, too.) You know, I haven't taped for awhile, so I may just try that for a few days now. I had thought of that yesterday and wished when I left for the graduation this morning that I had remembered to do so today.

Yes, I hope to be able to rest a little more over the summer. We are on an 'alternative calendar' and are off a little less than 2 months, but that amount of time could be helpful! I must MAKE myself rest - even if I start feeling so much better again.

Before school begins again, I would like to have found another shoe that might really be helpful as well as the SAS. I want that to be a goal for me this summer!

I hope you are having a nice weekend! You'll have to post pictures of your newly fixed up apartment! Have you named your new fish yet?

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/11/02 at 21:02 (083573)

Even a month and a half should be a tremendous help, I'd think! And yes, you must MAKE yourself rest, because you won't have another chance like this for a while.

I haven't named my new fish yet, because the water in the new tank is cloudy to the point that I feel like it's not a good sign. I haven't been overfeeding them, and perhaps it will go away. I will change some of the water again tomorrow.

Carole C