Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Icing

Posted by Rachel W. on 5/12/02 at 09:27 (083607)

I'm not sure if I'm icing correctly. I have an ice pack. I've been putting it against the heel where its painful. Is that right or should it be on the arch of the foot.
When I have read about what causes PF and seen diagrams, the problem is that it becomes inflamed in the arch and not in the heel even though the heel is painful.
So where should I be putting the ice?
At the moment I'm putting it in both places.

Re: Icing

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 09:34 (083610)

Rachel, I use a bag of frozen peas and I put my whole foot on it, heel and arch both. The frozen peas can conform to the shape of my foot and get up in my arch very nicely. I think I get a lot of relief in both parts of my foot when they are iced. Maybe icing the heel causes a little more relief, but I like to do both.

Icing is supposed to reduce inflammation, so when you think about it, it would make sense to ice both. Hope this helps.

Carole C

J. King on 5/13/02 at 13:58 (083710)

I use frozen peas as well. They work good!

Kathy G on 5/14/02 at 09:30 (083818)

Ditto on the frozen peas. I throw out the bag when all the printing on it is gone and it develops a hole. I don't want to leave a trail of frozen peas around the house!

My arches hurt as much as my heel and since everything is connected, I've always iced the whole foot. Can't hurt - might help!!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 09:34 (083610)

Rachel, I use a bag of frozen peas and I put my whole foot on it, heel and arch both. The frozen peas can conform to the shape of my foot and get up in my arch very nicely. I think I get a lot of relief in both parts of my foot when they are iced. Maybe icing the heel causes a little more relief, but I like to do both.

Icing is supposed to reduce inflammation, so when you think about it, it would make sense to ice both. Hope this helps.

Carole C

J. King on 5/13/02 at 13:58 (083710)

I use frozen peas as well. They work good!

Kathy G on 5/14/02 at 09:30 (083818)

Ditto on the frozen peas. I throw out the bag when all the printing on it is gone and it develops a hole. I don't want to leave a trail of frozen peas around the house!

My arches hurt as much as my heel and since everything is connected, I've always iced the whole foot. Can't hurt - might help!!