Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new podiatrist and knee probs - good news - bad news

Posted by Lisa G on 5/12/02 at 09:43 (083611)

hi everyone...

yesterday i had an appt with another pod...number 4 in my quest to find someone who can help me...i think he's the one! yayyyy...the first thing he addressed is my tight calves...he recommended heel lifts for my orthotics and/or shoes...and then night splints...and possibly more injections...and casting if we get to the point...he isn't totally against surg...but says we need to be more aggressive in the conservative treatments...even doing some of the things i've done before...which i have done just about everything...my husband came to my appt with me...and my hubby told me i was rude to the dr...i didn't think i was...and i sure didn't mean to be...i have just heard it all before...ya know? so i was probably a little frustrated and maybe a little impatient with him...

i guess i'm feeling more optimistic...but am very leary of the people who say 'we can fix you'...which he didn't necessarily do...but still...i have to say...i'm very jaded and don't have much faith in doctors right now...especially after my experience with my knee dr...

looks like i need surg for my knee...i fell in mid-march...tore my outer ligaments...chipped the tibia...bruised my femur...have bursitis...and my mri is showing an injury to my ACL...my dr thinks it is torn because i am still unstable front to back, my knee is still hyperextending if i put too much weight on it

this guy...the knee dr...well...not so much him, but his office staff...i'm so frustrated with them i could SCREAM...it took them a week and a half to get me my mri results...i called every day this last week...and they were so rude to me...he finally called me on friday night at 8 pm...but he is out of town all this next week...so i have to wait another week to actually see him...i understand my knee is probably really low on his priority list...but to me it is a big deal...i'm so unsteady as it is...i'm afraid i'm going to fall again and really do something to my knee...

i guess i'll quit going on about my knee since this is for feet...thanks for listening...i know i have been very negative lately...i'm really trying to work on that =) so...looking at the good that my new pod is telling me...

have a nice week ya'll...happy mother's day...huggggggs and happy walking
lisa

Re: new podiatrist and knee probs - good news - bad news

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 10:14 (083615)

Lisa, I'm so glad you have found a good podiatrist! He sounds very good and may help you to find the right combination of conservative treatments to heal you. I agree with him totally that a more aggressive approach to conservative treatments is in order before even thinking about surgery. Night splints have helped a lot of people. I have custom orthotics that have a very slight heel lift, and my C.Ped had me wear my Birkenstocks (which have a lower heel) for a few hours every day which provides variety.

I found that reading the heel pain book on this website was very helpful (and also reading these message boards). My PF healed before I bought a night splint, but a night splint and taping were definitely the next steps I was going to take.

Knees are relevant because their function affects the feet! I wonder if the night splint will affect your knees. You might want to mention it to your knee doctor just in case. I have knee problems too which limited my mobility and I can totally relate. Luckily in my case Celebrex has been very helpful for my knee pain, though it doesn't work for everyone and it doesn't seem to work as well for my PF pain.

Carole C

J. King on 5/13/02 at 14:02 (083711)

Anybody with foot problems get frustrated with no improvement. I have also been to many doctors and I feel distrustful of them as well. especially if they tell me they know just how to fix my feet by cutting into them. I think you just have to use your own judgement about what will work or will not work. I am going to see a new orthopod about my feet soon. I don't know what to expect.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 10:14 (083615)

Lisa, I'm so glad you have found a good podiatrist! He sounds very good and may help you to find the right combination of conservative treatments to heal you. I agree with him totally that a more aggressive approach to conservative treatments is in order before even thinking about surgery. Night splints have helped a lot of people. I have custom orthotics that have a very slight heel lift, and my C.Ped had me wear my Birkenstocks (which have a lower heel) for a few hours every day which provides variety.

I found that reading the heel pain book on this website was very helpful (and also reading these message boards). My PF healed before I bought a night splint, but a night splint and taping were definitely the next steps I was going to take.

Knees are relevant because their function affects the feet! I wonder if the night splint will affect your knees. You might want to mention it to your knee doctor just in case. I have knee problems too which limited my mobility and I can totally relate. Luckily in my case Celebrex has been very helpful for my knee pain, though it doesn't work for everyone and it doesn't seem to work as well for my PF pain.

Carole C

J. King on 5/13/02 at 14:02 (083711)

Anybody with foot problems get frustrated with no improvement. I have also been to many doctors and I feel distrustful of them as well. especially if they tell me they know just how to fix my feet by cutting into them. I think you just have to use your own judgement about what will work or will not work. I am going to see a new orthopod about my feet soon. I don't know what to expect.