Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Differant pains, Stretching to much?

Posted by Marty B on 5/12/02 at 09:47 (083613)

If I stretch out the calf mussels etc. how does that give me less tension in the heel area? OK I believe it does but how does it happen, does the actual tendons that rap around the heel slide down the heel some towards the bottom of the foot? The reason I'm wondering is I'm getting the stretching kind of pains on both edges of my heel. Not right in the middle of the heel where the heel spur is. I have over the years got allot of stretch out of my calves. I pod told me he's never seen anyone with more. I don't think I'm past say 20 degree's past 90 however.

Marty

Re: Differant pains, Stretching to much?

Ellen J. on 5/17/02 at 11:15 (084299)

Hi Marty,
I wish I knew the answer to your question, but yes, apparently flexible calves help P.F. alot. If your calves are already flexible, you might look at how you are stretching your foot. Are you bending your foot when you stretch? Sometimes bending the toes too far back can make your heel hurt because it stresses the fascia. Also, you might be making your heel hurt by doing something other that the stretching. Are you pushing off with the balls of your feet alot? If the pain is on the outside of the heels, I thought I read that it could be tendinitis. Now, I could easily be wrong, but maybe you could go to a good sports doctor or podiatrist and ask about tendinitis. (I keep wanting to spell it 'tendonitis' but I think that's not correct?) Check and see that you are not over stretching also, which can do some damage.
Good luck!
Ellen

BrianJ on 5/17/02 at 14:40 (084333)

Hooray for you, Ellen! You have the guts to spell 'tendinitis' correctly even when the majority of medical care providers do not. Keep up the good work.

Ellen J. on 5/17/02 at 14:50 (084336)

Thanks, Brian,
Glad to know I'm spelling it correctly. Sure does seem like it should be 'tendonitis', though, doesn't it? That is, since it involves the tendons. One of those strange spellings which has some obscure reason that I don't know the answer to.
Ellen

BrianJ on 5/17/02 at 15:28 (084343)

Applying logic to the English language is a dangerous proposition.

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 15:33 (084345)

ellen and brian: actually, according to webster's, either spelling is correct -- but 'tendonitis' is the one you'll find almost everywhere, including all over this website and all the others i spent time on when i had bad tendonitis.

not to be picky, of course! but, for example, if you were to do a search here on scott's site using 'tendinitis,' you wouldn't come up with much. with 'tendonitis,' you'd find tons of info.

this is the spelling i see about 98% of the time. just thought i'd point this out so no one in need finds a puny amount of info by using the less-used spelling.

nancy
(20-year freelance editor, finishing up the last editing job i'm ever going to take!)

Re: thanks for the info

Ellen J. on 5/17/02 at 20:04 (084384)

Hi Nancy,
Glad to know that either spelling would be OK. Thanks for educating me about the term. I'm fascinated by anything in the medical field and read about all kinds of medical issues, so you would think I would have looked that one up by now.
Glad you are almost done with your last job! I wonder what you'll do next. Hopefully something that involves sitting for the time being.
Ellen

nancy s. on 5/18/02 at 07:15 (084429)

thanks, ellen! i started phasing out of editing several years ago and began an antiquing business. then pf and severe tendonitis brought it all to a crashing halt for a few years. so i had to continue some editing, although i couldn't do much of it with the chronic pain.

now things are much better, and i have my own shop. i get to sit enough of the time that my feet don't get too aggravated. still have to run around some to find things for the shop, but i try not to overdo it and usually don't. so all is much better than it was for quite a while there.

best of luck to you in your healing too.
nancy

Ellen J. on 5/17/02 at 11:15 (084299)

Hi Marty,
I wish I knew the answer to your question, but yes, apparently flexible calves help P.F. alot. If your calves are already flexible, you might look at how you are stretching your foot. Are you bending your foot when you stretch? Sometimes bending the toes too far back can make your heel hurt because it stresses the fascia. Also, you might be making your heel hurt by doing something other that the stretching. Are you pushing off with the balls of your feet alot? If the pain is on the outside of the heels, I thought I read that it could be tendinitis. Now, I could easily be wrong, but maybe you could go to a good sports doctor or podiatrist and ask about tendinitis. (I keep wanting to spell it 'tendonitis' but I think that's not correct?) Check and see that you are not over stretching also, which can do some damage.
Good luck!
Ellen

BrianJ on 5/17/02 at 14:40 (084333)

Hooray for you, Ellen! You have the guts to spell 'tendinitis' correctly even when the majority of medical care providers do not. Keep up the good work.

Ellen J. on 5/17/02 at 14:50 (084336)

Thanks, Brian,
Glad to know I'm spelling it correctly. Sure does seem like it should be 'tendonitis', though, doesn't it? That is, since it involves the tendons. One of those strange spellings which has some obscure reason that I don't know the answer to.
Ellen

BrianJ on 5/17/02 at 15:28 (084343)

Applying logic to the English language is a dangerous proposition.

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 15:33 (084345)

ellen and brian: actually, according to webster's, either spelling is correct -- but 'tendonitis' is the one you'll find almost everywhere, including all over this website and all the others i spent time on when i had bad tendonitis.

not to be picky, of course! but, for example, if you were to do a search here on scott's site using 'tendinitis,' you wouldn't come up with much. with 'tendonitis,' you'd find tons of info.

this is the spelling i see about 98% of the time. just thought i'd point this out so no one in need finds a puny amount of info by using the less-used spelling.

nancy
(20-year freelance editor, finishing up the last editing job i'm ever going to take!)

Ellen J. on 5/17/02 at 20:04 (084384)

Hi Nancy,
Glad to know that either spelling would be OK. Thanks for educating me about the term. I'm fascinated by anything in the medical field and read about all kinds of medical issues, so you would think I would have looked that one up by now.
Glad you are almost done with your last job! I wonder what you'll do next. Hopefully something that involves sitting for the time being.
Ellen

nancy s. on 5/18/02 at 07:15 (084429)

thanks, ellen! i started phasing out of editing several years ago and began an antiquing business. then pf and severe tendonitis brought it all to a crashing halt for a few years. so i had to continue some editing, although i couldn't do much of it with the chronic pain.

now things are much better, and i have my own shop. i get to sit enough of the time that my feet don't get too aggravated. still have to run around some to find things for the shop, but i try not to overdo it and usually don't. so all is much better than it was for quite a while there.

best of luck to you in your healing too.
nancy