Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthodics for PF

Posted by Debbie P. on 5/12/02 at 11:05 (083617)

I have been wearing custom made shoe inserts for both my dress shoes and jogging shoes for years. I have high arches and I go to a footdoctor on a regular basis. He is suppposed to be one of the best in my area. I am about 30 pounds overweight and everytime I start walking for exercise I have problems with my feet dispite the shoe inserts. It happens every summer when I start walking more. I was doing fine until the last time I was there and he had my sports inserts checked, ever since I can even walk around a store very long in my sports shoes without my foot hurting. I can wear my dress inserts with no trouble. This happened last summer and it took forever before it was straightened out. I have looked at all my shoes and even with the inserts my shoes get unevenly worn on my right foot the foot that gives me the most trouble. I'm beginning to think these inserts are more trouble than they're worth. I want to be able to go on vacation this summer and be able to walk around without pain.

Re: Orthodics for PF

DR Zuckerman on 5/12/02 at 14:50 (083629)

Hi

Orthosis do have their limitations. Here are some of the things that can contribute to the effectiveness of the orthosis. Type of shoes, type of activity. Adding an excercise problem to your life can contribute to your fare-up's. Orthosis are like eye glasses they don't cure your problem they help to control your problem. Tell me where the pain is and when you have the pain. Do you limp in the morning or after you walk for any lenght of time.

If you give us more information i may be able to advice you

Debbie P. on 5/13/02 at 18:06 (083736)

It hurts in the arch right before the heel starts. Sometimes it burns or feels like I have a needle stabbing me. Before the orthotics were adjusted it only hurt in the morning, then it went away after I moved around a while. After they were adjusted it would hurt in the morning and after I walked around awhile.

I have had these walking shoes since last summer.

DR Zuckerman on 5/12/02 at 14:50 (083629)

Hi

Orthosis do have their limitations. Here are some of the things that can contribute to the effectiveness of the orthosis. Type of shoes, type of activity. Adding an excercise problem to your life can contribute to your fare-up's. Orthosis are like eye glasses they don't cure your problem they help to control your problem. Tell me where the pain is and when you have the pain. Do you limp in the morning or after you walk for any lenght of time.

If you give us more information i may be able to advice you

Debbie P. on 5/13/02 at 18:06 (083736)

It hurts in the arch right before the heel starts. Sometimes it burns or feels like I have a needle stabbing me. Before the orthotics were adjusted it only hurt in the morning, then it went away after I moved around a while. After they were adjusted it would hurt in the morning and after I walked around awhile.

I have had these walking shoes since last summer.