Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mortons Toe !

Posted by Wayne H. on 5/12/02 at 13:26 (083628)

My condition of mortons toe has escalated causing a deformity where my second toe on my right foot is growing toward the big toe. A podiatrist recommended surgery and proper orthodics. What are my chances as far as corrective surgery in percentages as far as rate of reoccurrence and healing time ?

Wayne Harrington

Re: Mortons Toe !

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/12/02 at 15:21 (083635)

Hi Wayne:

Back off the surgery. Start with an MRI or diagnostic ultrasound. Determine if it is a neuritis or a true neuroma. Next begin a scelorsing regimen. It is normally 7 injections every two weeks. Please hold off on surgery.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

DR Zuckerman on 5/12/02 at 15:26 (083637)

Hi

Usually this problem is associated with a bunion deformity but can stand alone. The procedure can range from a fusion of the toe bones with releases of all of the ligaments around the 2nd met head. Sometimes a bone cuttting procedure of the metatarsal is needed. The healing period can range from six weeks to twelve weeks depending on the procedure done.
Failure to choose the right procedure will increase the rate of return/failure. Feel free to ask any questions about this foot problem

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/12/02 at 15:21 (083635)

Hi Wayne:

Back off the surgery. Start with an MRI or diagnostic ultrasound. Determine if it is a neuritis or a true neuroma. Next begin a scelorsing regimen. It is normally 7 injections every two weeks. Please hold off on surgery.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

DR Zuckerman on 5/12/02 at 15:26 (083637)

Hi

Usually this problem is associated with a bunion deformity but can stand alone. The procedure can range from a fusion of the toe bones with releases of all of the ligaments around the 2nd met head. Sometimes a bone cuttting procedure of the metatarsal is needed. The healing period can range from six weeks to twelve weeks depending on the procedure done.
Failure to choose the right procedure will increase the rate of return/failure. Feel free to ask any questions about this foot problem