Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Serious athlete with heel spurs looking to preserve lifestyle

Posted by Kristin E. on 5/12/02 at 15:28 (083638)

Having just turned 26, I've been told that I have the feet of a 50 yr. old! As I understand it, my low arches, in addition to weak ankles have contributed to PF, which, over many miles, has lead to heel spurs.

I've been in competitive sports (running races/triathlons) my entire life and dance, so I've definitely been hard on my feet. I have custom made orthodics for running and for dress but continue to experience discomfort, although not usually during exercise.

Would you suggest anything specific that I should be doing now to preserve my lifestyle? Specifically, I've been trying to understand the surgical and ESWT treatments. At this point, I think I'm going to invest in a pair of night splints (since in I have chronic tightness in my calf and hamstring that probably contribute to my condition), and possibly pursue some ESWT. The surgery is not appealing to me, and doesn't seem to be the right solution, but the idea of living/training without heel spurs is just so attractive.

I would appreciate your comments...

Re: Serious athlete with heel spurs looking to preserve lifestyle

DR Zuckerman on 5/12/02 at 23:54 (083673)

Hi

If you would like written information about ESWT and our program with the Dornier Epos just e-mail me at (email removed) and I would have someone forward you a packet. In addition read the heel pain book on this board

Re: Serious athlete with heel spurs looking to preserve lifestyle

DR Zuckerman on 5/12/02 at 23:54 (083673)

Hi

If you would like written information about ESWT and our program with the Dornier Epos just e-mail me at (email removed) and I would have someone forward you a packet. In addition read the heel pain book on this board