Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how long after a mistake can it take for pain to set in?

Posted by Ellen J. on 5/12/02 at 18:47 (083658)

I'm wondering what experiences anyone on this board has had when they made a mistake with their feet. What is the longest it can take for pain to set in after doing something bad to the feet? I've heard that it can take 36 hours, but can it take longer than that at times? I have alot of pain today and can't figure out what I did yesterday to cause it. Could it have been as long as the activities of the day before yesterday? Or longer?
Thanks for any help--I get feeling down sometimes with this thing!
Ellen J.

Re: how long after a mistake can it take for pain to set in?

john h on 5/12/02 at 19:30 (083662)

It is nearly always at least 24 hours after I do something to my feet that pain set in.

Suzanne D on 5/12/02 at 20:29 (083665)

It seems to me that it usually takes 2 or 3 days; that's what's so hard about knowing how much to do. It may seem o.k. at the time or even the next day, but then a day or so later, the pain gets worse.

Yes, it's easy to get down, as you said. That's why this message board is so valuable! We can learn from one another and support each other as well. Sometimes just knowing someone else has felt the same way you do can ease the stress.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 21:16 (083666)

I wouldn't figure that I'd gotten away with anything until at least three days had passed. It takes around 1-3 days for me to feel it, which is consistent with what John and Suzanne said. For me it's usually 1-2 days but sometimes 3.

On this same topic, I've found my feet do best if I only gradually incorporate any changes like riding my bike longer or breaking in Birkenstocks. Then I can back off if there there is a little more pain a couple of days later and I won't end up with a major setback.

Carole C

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 21:28 (083667)

I forgot to say this:

Since it does take 1-3 days before I know if I've really made a bad mistake, when I think that I might have done something awful I do start icing, stretching, and resting my feet more right away. I don't wait for the pain to show up first. I think that's helpful. At least, it doesn't do any harm. LOL

Carole C

Andrue on 5/13/02 at 07:54 (083683)

If I do something silly on Saturday my feet will be playing up a bit late Sunday and quite uncomfortable (at their worst for me) on Monday. Tuesday will be better and Wednesday I'm back to normal.

Re: Thanks to everyone who responded

Ellen J. on 5/13/02 at 09:25 (083689)

Hi,
Thank you all for your notes on this issue. I think that I had set up a vicious cycle by trying to wear athletic sandals, got swollen arches from a 'too-high' arch in sandals, then had to take orthotics out of shoes to accommodate swollen arches, and the feet reacted to having no orthotics a day or two later. Sooo frustrating! I'll keep icing and put the orthotics back in again.
Am going to the sports medicine doctor in a few minutes. Hope he might help rather than hinder.
Thanks again!
Ellen J.

john h on 5/12/02 at 19:30 (083662)

It is nearly always at least 24 hours after I do something to my feet that pain set in.

Suzanne D on 5/12/02 at 20:29 (083665)

It seems to me that it usually takes 2 or 3 days; that's what's so hard about knowing how much to do. It may seem o.k. at the time or even the next day, but then a day or so later, the pain gets worse.

Yes, it's easy to get down, as you said. That's why this message board is so valuable! We can learn from one another and support each other as well. Sometimes just knowing someone else has felt the same way you do can ease the stress.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 21:16 (083666)

I wouldn't figure that I'd gotten away with anything until at least three days had passed. It takes around 1-3 days for me to feel it, which is consistent with what John and Suzanne said. For me it's usually 1-2 days but sometimes 3.

On this same topic, I've found my feet do best if I only gradually incorporate any changes like riding my bike longer or breaking in Birkenstocks. Then I can back off if there there is a little more pain a couple of days later and I won't end up with a major setback.

Carole C

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/12/02 at 21:28 (083667)

I forgot to say this:

Since it does take 1-3 days before I know if I've really made a bad mistake, when I think that I might have done something awful I do start icing, stretching, and resting my feet more right away. I don't wait for the pain to show up first. I think that's helpful. At least, it doesn't do any harm. LOL

Carole C

Andrue on 5/13/02 at 07:54 (083683)

If I do something silly on Saturday my feet will be playing up a bit late Sunday and quite uncomfortable (at their worst for me) on Monday. Tuesday will be better and Wednesday I'm back to normal.

Re: Thanks to everyone who responded

Ellen J. on 5/13/02 at 09:25 (083689)

Hi,
Thank you all for your notes on this issue. I think that I had set up a vicious cycle by trying to wear athletic sandals, got swollen arches from a 'too-high' arch in sandals, then had to take orthotics out of shoes to accommodate swollen arches, and the feet reacted to having no orthotics a day or two later. Sooo frustrating! I'll keep icing and put the orthotics back in again.
Am going to the sports medicine doctor in a few minutes. Hope he might help rather than hinder.
Thanks again!
Ellen J.