Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Long term

Posted by J. King on 5/13/02 at 09:29 (083691)

When someone has suffered from PF for many years what happens to the foot?
I ask this because I wonder if my feet will ever get better since I have had PF and arch pain for so many years and it has gotten worse over time. I have said I would never have surgery but after 17 years of pain I would settle for anything that could relieve this pain.

Re: Long term

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 06:02 (083796)

Hi J. King:

Yes, the pain can resolve. I have found that if a patient has ESWT we want them to still continue with orthotics, night splints and stretching. Have you considered ESWT? If you would like information on this non-invassive treatment just let me know.
Dr. John Cozzarelli

J. King on 5/14/02 at 10:19 (083821)

I was told that since my pain was in the arch ESWT would not help me.
I really don't have heelpain.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 11:30 (083837)

J. King:
The plantar fascia runs the entire bottom of the foot and inserts into the heel. If the pain is present when you bend your big toe up and push into the band (Windlass Mechanism) it sounds like platnarfasciitis. Are you sure what you are suffering from and what did the doctor say?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

J. King on 5/14/02 at 14:32 (083851)

Well, I have the classic PF thing where after rest and upon standing my feet are sore. They get better for a while and then really hurt. Standing and walking long distances are out. One doctor told me TTS and PF and the others say just PF. The pain is from front of heel, but not heel itself, all down my foot to the ball of the foot. When I put weight on my feet I feel sharp pain. The heel cord is lumpy and swollen at times and very tender to the touch. My actual heel feels fine and I don't feel pain when the heel strikes the ground.

J. King on 5/14/02 at 14:38 (083853)

Just to add a little to what I have said, other pods have said that because of where my pain is at in my foot that surgery might not help much since the pain is in my arch and not the heel itself. It this true? Only one pod wanted to operate and the others were against it. This is why I have been so reluctant to let anyone operate on me since there is such a difference of opinion.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 20:25 (083925)

It sounds like you are describing a mid medial band fasciitis. It sounds like ESWT could help. Have you had and MRI or diagnostic ultrasound performed?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

J. King on 5/15/02 at 06:32 (083988)

No MRI or ultrasound. If ESWT could help I am all for it. A worker's comp. podiatrist said ESWT would not help me.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/15/02 at 12:37 (084030)

J. King:

If the comp doc told you it would not help go get another opinion. It sounds like you could benefit from treatment.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 15:08 (084043)

I agree with Dr. Cozz

Jon R. on 5/15/02 at 23:50 (084104)

J. King's description of where his pain occurs sounds closer to my experience than anyone else's tale I've seen on these boards yet. I am only about 10 months into my problems though & not yet ready for major procedures. Doctors, if my problem is 'mid medial band fasciitis', are the standard conservative approaches discussed on this web site the course to pursue? Is there any particularly effective treatment which would focus on the mid medial band. Much thanks.

Jon

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 06:02 (083796)

Hi J. King:

Yes, the pain can resolve. I have found that if a patient has ESWT we want them to still continue with orthotics, night splints and stretching. Have you considered ESWT? If you would like information on this non-invassive treatment just let me know.
Dr. John Cozzarelli

J. King on 5/14/02 at 10:19 (083821)

I was told that since my pain was in the arch ESWT would not help me.
I really don't have heelpain.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 11:30 (083837)

J. King:
The plantar fascia runs the entire bottom of the foot and inserts into the heel. If the pain is present when you bend your big toe up and push into the band (Windlass Mechanism) it sounds like platnarfasciitis. Are you sure what you are suffering from and what did the doctor say?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

J. King on 5/14/02 at 14:32 (083851)

Well, I have the classic PF thing where after rest and upon standing my feet are sore. They get better for a while and then really hurt. Standing and walking long distances are out. One doctor told me TTS and PF and the others say just PF. The pain is from front of heel, but not heel itself, all down my foot to the ball of the foot. When I put weight on my feet I feel sharp pain. The heel cord is lumpy and swollen at times and very tender to the touch. My actual heel feels fine and I don't feel pain when the heel strikes the ground.

J. King on 5/14/02 at 14:38 (083853)

Just to add a little to what I have said, other pods have said that because of where my pain is at in my foot that surgery might not help much since the pain is in my arch and not the heel itself. It this true? Only one pod wanted to operate and the others were against it. This is why I have been so reluctant to let anyone operate on me since there is such a difference of opinion.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 20:25 (083925)

It sounds like you are describing a mid medial band fasciitis. It sounds like ESWT could help. Have you had and MRI or diagnostic ultrasound performed?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

J. King on 5/15/02 at 06:32 (083988)

No MRI or ultrasound. If ESWT could help I am all for it. A worker's comp. podiatrist said ESWT would not help me.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/15/02 at 12:37 (084030)

J. King:

If the comp doc told you it would not help go get another opinion. It sounds like you could benefit from treatment.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 15:08 (084043)

I agree with Dr. Cozz

Jon R. on 5/15/02 at 23:50 (084104)

J. King's description of where his pain occurs sounds closer to my experience than anyone else's tale I've seen on these boards yet. I am only about 10 months into my problems though & not yet ready for major procedures. Doctors, if my problem is 'mid medial band fasciitis', are the standard conservative approaches discussed on this web site the course to pursue? Is there any particularly effective treatment which would focus on the mid medial band. Much thanks.

Jon