Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re:pod suggested put my spor orthodic into cam walker;warning

Posted by lisa k on 5/14/02 at 02:25 (083782)

tried it one evening ,fisrt didnt seem to fit right ,didnt seem tomake sense if cam deviec is taking all pressure off, then that night boy did i have heel paain......but worst of all when i took bootof cam walkeer off to take out sport insole or at least readjust IT TORE IT UP, the bottom layer gle peeled awaay is now flaping loose and bent harder plastic shell out of org cast disign, my husband said i shoulve just waited untill i saw this 2nd pod but i was scared and thought he could do any harm in checking over my foots progress, its been hard to get in so qquick with new pod whos certified,BUT i get to see him tommrrow ,what do think about that sport orthodict being rocked back aand forth out of place ,insurance paid in full and when i do get out its going to need repair or dhould i just see if new pod can use same lab wher old mold saved untill oct worried now wondt get back in time,im bring them to my appt w new pod(the old one coulndt even remeber if or why i was in a cam walker go figuire luv to you all lisak

Re: re:pod suggested put my spor orthodic into cam walker;warning

Julie on 5/14/02 at 02:45 (083788)

Lisa, this may sound unkind, but I have read your post four times, and I cannot make head or tail of it. This has been true of most of your messages, and although I'd really like to be able to help you, I have not responded to your posts because I can't make sense of them.

There are a few things that would help.

Use capital letters at the beginning of sentences.
Start a new paragraph after every few sentences.
Try to use the keyboard more accurately.
Correct obvious mis-typings (fisrt, figuire, dhould, deviec, couldndt, etcetera.)
Pay a little more attention to punctuation.

I know this is an internet forum, but most people are considerate and take the same care over their communications as they would when writing a 'real' letter to a friend or a business communication. If you were applying for a job, I'm sure you'd be able to write a perfectly lucid letter with full sentences and all the words correctly typed, and you should be able to do it here, too.

I'm prepared to get jumped on for being picky, schoolmarmish, or whatever. But I hope that won't happen and that you and anyone else who is reading this will understand that it's irritating and time-wasting to have to read and re-read posts that with a little effort could have been clear.

Re: Eyeballs

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 08:01 (083807)

Julie, I have to confess that if a post is too hard to read - I don't read it.

My poor old eyeballs are tired as it is, there's only so much they can do..

Julie on 5/14/02 at 08:17 (083808)

You're right, Wendy. I don't know what happened there: I guess just couldn't contain my irritation and frustration. From now on I'll try to skip over carelessly posted posts.

paula on 5/14/02 at 08:55 (083811)

i'm not jumping all over the previous post but just offering a different opinion. i agree it was hard to read that post. but on the other hand, some of us don't type well, don't spell well, don't know grammar and maybe have never written a formal letter in our lives. if any of the rules of grammar intimidate a person from communicating here, i say the communication is more important. i'll slog thru the mistakes to get †he gist. i have to type fast cause of sore fingers. i say welcome aboard, the more you type here the better you'll get at it. oh, and by the way. down with capital letters!! periods make them redundant and it's hard on pinkie fingers and e.e. cummings would agree. jack kerouac approves of run on sentences and paragraphs. 'on the road' was one sentene till they edited it against his will. this post's for you jack. (:

Re: One more thought...

Ellen J. on 5/14/02 at 10:18 (083820)

I had one more thought on the above issues. It recently occurred to me that some of the people on the list might be from countries that don't speak English so I thought that might be the case with some of the letters. Just something that came to me after reading a few posts, and just a guess on my part.
Ellen

Carole C in NOLA on 5/14/02 at 14:27 (083849)

Ellen, you and Paula are making good points! I'm sure there are many different reasons why some people don't write posts that we can understand. That still doesn't make the writing readable in this case!

I have read and read and read posts by lisa, and I have honestly tried to answer every single one I can. She seems like such a nice person, and my heart goes out to her because she is having such a tough time. Her posts seem like random strings of words or letters to me and usually I have no idea what she is asking about so I guess. Sometimes I can't even guess!

I have read this post a half dozen times, to no avail.

Please believe that it's not that we are unforgiving or don't want to understand due to snobbery or chauvinism. It's that we CAN'T understand, even though we are trying and do care deeply.

If you understand her question, can you translate for us?

Carole C

paula on 5/14/02 at 15:06 (083856)

carole , i am concerned that this line of discussion would be hurting lisa's feelings. it would if it were me. therefore all i would like to say is lisa, keep communicating here and thank you for telling us about what does and does not work for you. and thank you for telling us, in a different post about the inserts that do and don't work for you. to all others here i will say that i value the willingness to share above clarity of expression. and finally, i would say that many people do not understand and have never understood the written and in some case oral statements of many great artists. some who come to mind are allen ginsberg, james joyce, ozzy osbourne. i for one would like to drop this now and just say thank you for writing here lisa and everyone else here. the average human looks at me in befuddlement whenever i open my mouth, so, to quote ginsberg 'i have seen the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness' or was it airplane glue?'. or was it gerber's baby food? or was it space alien abductions? i rest my case. :)

paula on 5/14/02 at 15:36 (083859)

i have reconsidered and decided to interpret lisa's post for ya. here goes: feet hurt. pain. go to pod. get orthotic. oh no! orthotic no good. go to new pod. what should i do next? since this is such a basic post here, it probably could have been written in ancient manderin and i would have understood it. this public service announcement brought to you by me. i will also interpret ozzy osbourne but that'll cost ya. was i right lisa? :)

nancy s. on 5/14/02 at 15:53 (083864)

paula, i'm sure no one is trying to hurt lisa's feelings. in fact, it might just help her receive more replies and the information she's looking for if she's able to write a little more clearly.

i don't think it hurts to ask someone if they can make a little more effort to be understood. if they can't communicate any more clearly, they can't and so be it -- but why not ask?? it would only help her own communication, which is as important as anyone else's on the board. a request for clearer writing does not in any way negate the communication intended behind the post; in fact, it's an effort to understand that communication. the one in no way precludes the other. i think it's a kindness that this was brought up -- obviously, some people care enough to try to understand what looks like an incomprehensible post.

sometimes people have reasons for writing as they do. i was an editor for years, but since i came down with two frozen shoulders over a year ago i don't hit the shift key to capitalize anymore. i find my own posts a little harder to read because of this, but i won't be going back to caps until my shoulders are better.

if someone else found my posts hard to read because of this and brought up the subject, i think i'd feel free to explain why and let it go at that. no need to get all prickly here, in my opinion.

nancy

paula on 5/14/02 at 16:07 (083867)

hi nancy. i didn't mean to come accross as prickly. i wrote these things in a high spirit. just having fun. but i do think my brand of kindness would be to just do the best i can to figure it out and not comment on grammar or whatever. differences make the world go round. also thought if i ran around the graound with a pretend broken wing.....

Nancy N on 5/14/02 at 16:30 (083874)

Nancy/Paula--

I agree with Nancy. I'm not sure if Ellen was trying to suggest that people who are not native English speakers may be harder to understand--but by the same token, a post that is hard to read (no caps, one huge paragraph, lots of typos, no punctuation) for a native speaker is going to be even harder for someone whose English is a second language.

Punctuation, spelling, and paragraphs exist to make our communication clearer, not harder. Obviously, anyone can choose which rules to follow and which ones to ignore--but in return, they have to accept that their posts may not get the response they're looking for because people have trouble reading them. It's the prerogative of both the writer and the reader.

So I don't think anybody is making any sort of character judgments, we're just trying to point out that the harder you make it for someone to read your posts, the harder it'll be for people to respond--and you may not get the kinds of answers you're looking for. Who knows how many times someone might have had good, vital information but decided not to answer a post because they just couldn't figure it out?

Just my two cents, for whatever it's worth...

john h on 5/14/02 at 16:53 (083879)

Dear Mrs. Julie: You sound just like my third grade English teacher Mrs McCracken. I think Lisa and I went to the same school of English only Lisa probably spells better than (me) (I)?. Did I ever hate to be called to the black board by Mrs McCracken. I can see her now and am breaking out in a sweat as I type.

john h on 5/14/02 at 16:56 (083880)

Carole: Being from the swamps of south La. you are not expected to speak good English even with all your advanced degrees. Maybe it is some sort of some sort of southern genetic thing since we are all related. yall be good now! Now if you want to hear some real bad English go listen to some of those folks from Jersey (sorry Nancy N.).

john h on 5/14/02 at 17:04 (083882)

Yes Nancy two cents is about what it is worth (ha ha). Since Dr. Z and I are the worst spellers on the board we let all critical words just roll off our back since we are brilliant in other ways. Nancy I have an old crashed hard drive if you want it.

Nancy N on 5/14/02 at 17:22 (083886)

Hey, I'm not a Jersey native, so no problems here!

Nancy N on 5/14/02 at 17:33 (083887)

John--

Nobody is questioning your brilliance :) And what the heck would I want with an old dead hard drive? Unless maybe I played ice hockey and needed a new puck???

Carole C in NOLA on 5/14/02 at 17:48 (083891)

Paula, thank you! I can't understand ozzy osbourne either. (grin)

Lisa, sorry about all this mix-up. Now that you've been to your new pod, it's a good time to write down what he said to you and apply any suggestions he may have had. Also, reading or re-reading the heel pain book on this site and following the suggestions in it is a good next step. Sorry I had such trouble with your post, and I hope your feet feel better soon.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/14/02 at 18:03 (083893)

John, my steady date Bobbie that ditched me before Christmas (and for whom I still carry a torch) is an intense, sultry Creole man whose first language is not English. He used to send me real roses and that really lit my fire. When he e-mails me, his spelling is way worse than yours and his grammar is considerably less than perfect. I've never mentioned it to him, though. He knows and wishes that he could have had more education but his family could only afford to send his big brother to LSU.

His grammar and spelling have not made his letters at all difficult to understand, though. He does use punctuation, or a new line at least when he's ended a sentence. So, maybe that helps. Also, he doesn't skip words so what he writes down is in some sort of sentence.

My posts are pretty far from perfect too. I split infinitives like nobody's business. I don't care who spells what or about grammar (not having been elected Queen of the Universe), but I agree with the Nancy's; if I can't understand it, I can't answer and I feel sad that lisa has not got the help she needs from us and genuinely hope this thread is helpful and not taken as being critical.

Carole C

Re: John You forgot me I am pretty bad

Tammie on 5/14/02 at 18:08 (083894)

Heh I want to be a part of this club also! I always can admit I get excited and am flappy all at the same time so I go on and on and on!

Often with both typos and poor spelling! Unfortuantly I can not change something I am not good at lol! Look my son plans on being a english teacher and he even gives up on me!!!

I also was given a spell checker a few years back ( they looked like a caculator) My sister the teacher gave it to me and made me spell maybe about a hundred times as she hated it when I spelled it wrong! May I say I never was my teachers favorite on spelling , math and gee being active in class. I was the one hiding a book in my english book or math. Those true story deals and romance was on my mind hahahah! But all in all I am ok just dont ask me to balance your checkbook or spell or type proper!

I am not sure exactly what I was good at at school, I was a mother hen and took care of everyone LOL. Someone should get us spellchecker here!!!!! I see other forums have them it is nice so you dont feel totaly dumb!

Re: Lisa please don't feel bad,

Tammie on 5/14/02 at 18:17 (083897)

I just wanted to say that once or maybe more that I to was told to try to write and put space between things lol! I admit at first it hurt my feelings as I did not really know that it was bad haha. I would start typing and typing and no breath in between!

I understand what they are telling you and it is also a good reminder for me to recheck myself! Maybe some day they will add a spellchecker so that we can at least pretend we are intelligent haha! I just wanted to let you know it is not a barb or a insult to you it is just they really have a hard time reading our scratch! I must admit I could read yours! But see I am simple and really how I ever made it thru school I wonder! But maybe if we dont use it we lose it! Have a good day and please dont feel as tho this is a jab! Do a search you will see I went through it also!

Please dont leave or be hurt join in and soon you will understand thease friends here mean well and they are great support to us all! They are loving and very helpful! Hugs to you!OOps, I was told about that also, some people are not comfortable with hugs, and tho they do not know it I am also but I love to make others feel loved and wanted!

Re: I understand as I once was told but I know know it was out of love and teaching!(eom)

Tammie on 5/14/02 at 18:19 (083898)

By the way if u need a good laugh I just recently figured out what this darn (eom) means !!!! I am very dense lol I could for the life of me not figure it out.

Re: For Lisa...

Rich on 5/14/02 at 21:23 (083933)

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that you ruined your orthotic by inserting it into your cam walker. Mine came with removable pads that I could insert wherever I had a tender spot. Once they flatten out, you just remove and toss in the washing machine to fluff back up.

I doubt that the orthotics will be repairable, you might have to order new ones.

I would also like to comment on earlier posts. Your message above was very hard to decipher. I do agree that caps and perhaps more line spacing would make them easier to read. I understand that you have been taking alot of pain meds and that may impair some of your grammatical abilities.

Please don't let this add to the great amount of depression you have been suffering with. At least you have the new pod to see and from what you said about the last one not remembering if you were in the cam walker, it can't be soon enough!

I will continue to pray for you and try to answer your posts to the best of my ability.

I do confess that typos tend to jump out at me and I prefer correct punctuation...english was always my best subject, but sometimes compassion needs to overrule.

And this comes from an authenic Cajun from the Heart of Acadiana!

John H....ever heard of Boudreaux and Thibodeaux jokes? LOL

Bless Everyone with Happy Feet tonight!
Richelle

john h on 5/14/02 at 22:02 (083951)

The only Boudreaux I am familar with is wine but I think on looking at the word I would misspell the wines name. No I have not heard those jokes but need to.

Rich on 5/14/02 at 22:11 (083954)

No problem....most local last names around here are misspelled and mispronounced by 'northeners'. We have lots of names ending with 'eaux'.

I've been meaning to post some local 'humor', but most haven't been 'clean' enough to share.

What is it with you and wine? I'm noticing quite a few references and associations? LOL

Rich

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 22:57 (083970)

I never used to read Tammie's posts because there weren't any paragraphs. I wasn't being picky, but my poor old eyeballs just could not follow the lines - I'd give up and move on. Someone mentioned it nicely to her, she throws in a space here and there, and life is good.

I would much rather risk offending someone by nicely mentioning this, than just sit back and not respond to them (they may just think they're being ignored.)

I don't think anyone believes that exact grammar, spelling, and punctuation are necessary (I rarely have time to re-read what I've written). Just put in enough of an effort so that people can understand what's being written.

Julie on 5/15/02 at 01:00 (083978)

I know that I owe Lisa an apology, and give it unreservedly.

Lisa, what I said was not, really not, meant unkindly. I know you are in pain, and the frustration that was surely evident in my post stemmed entirely from wanting to help and not being able to because I could not fathom yours. I am sorry if what I said was hurtful.

Nancy, Nancy, Carole and Wendy - you've all said what I meant more kindly than I was able to. It IS important that the effort be made to be clear, because it makes it easier for those who want to help and have a useful response to offer, to do so.

(And Nancy (S), please forgive me if what I said about starting sentences with capitals was hurtful to you. I know it hurts your shoulders to hit the shift key.)

For me, being clear is much more a matter of care in keyboarding than of spelling or grammar. Hitting the right keys and correcting onself when hitting the wrong ones. Using punctuation. Breaking a long post up into paragraphs. Simply taking the trouble to make one's thought clear - especially if one is asking a question.

I needed to say this, in case anyone thinks I have a problem with people whose spelling is genuinely shaky. I don't. My dearest, oldest friend can't spell awfully well. But in her letters to me she always makes herself clear.

It's clarity I hope for - to save time and effort and to avoid frustration and possible misunderstanding. And to make possible the accurate, helpful responses that those who come here for help need.

Re: Oh no I thought I proof read this,sorry know was to be now.( eom)

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 16:51 (084055)

Darn i need to slow down

Re: Yep and that was true

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 18:14 (084068)

I did think u didnt like me. Along with some others. I will admit I can go on and on and on. I have to learn this also. But I have noone to talk to except here. I cannot talk with people else where as they would never understand.

After the first hurt feeling it is better as then someone adds that they really care it makes it much easier. I think maybe it is the way it is said lol or maybe the fram we are in when we recieve lol.Think about it tho as newbies and I think there are some here that are like so smart hehe and it intimidates me lol that is why I feel so unsure when it is a time you want to reply to someone and then think no I might be wrong or might not tell them as well as others. Often I just stick to the emotional issues and support as I am most comfortable there. But I am progressing .

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:06 (084411)

hmmm,given a typing speed of 25word per minute and this is not colloge comp 101-------plz try tolerance and patience we all are experiencing PAIN also julie and wendy i do proof read and spell correct, unless its 3am and shooting pains up my cast sad face lisa :( what a bummer just a creative soul ,confused and in pain......and your worried about all those rules you listed God bless you both

Re: One more thought...new but last one :(

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:18 (084412)

gosh carol, im from the usa my whole life and have a bachelor 's degree in fine art ,studio painter ive never been slammed so much in my entire life in one night 140iq an INFP on myers brigg test maybe someone more intelligent will understand ......i can read the posts that give thoughts and could care less about the punct. sometimes reading them is a challage and sometimes a creative joy......well anyway thought we cared about support for pf ,was i wrong? DR. C. doenst seem to have much of a problem reading my posts,maybe hes just a little more open minded and can get the idea or thought w/o formal grammer letters i am very confused and hurt, my friend on other sights have never slammed me ,some write the same :(

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:20 (084413)

your msg is redundent and too long for me

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:21 (084414)

nancy are you mean or in pain?

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:23 (084415)

i never felt ignorned ,got alot of great responses from select people .....with info that helped alot ,God bless you all

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:26 (084416)

last try! -form ORIGINAL POST yes ther must have been many errors in it ,i apologize to those it offend plz dont open another single post of mine, PLEASE, but if any one could make any sense out of the questions i had i'd appreciate a response ,not a grammer lesson,lisa

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:30 (084417)

no need to respond if you cant understand ,it sometimes tears and high pain or, emotions that may affect the 'formal readability' lots of people dont understand modern art also ,just an after thought BYE

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:32 (084418)

cant read your post- too long ,and my attention span doesn't allow it

Re: For Lisa...yeah guys lookinback it was sloppy ,but desparate

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:39 (084419)

God bless ya ,tears are welling up,im just not a great typist and ideas quick and to the point have been my prefrence......i am avery articulate nice smart funny interesting and CARING person,luv lisa thank you for your prayers ,John.........actully im a PHONE PERSON LUV TAALKING I hate the slowness of typing out each SINGLE letter ............ my foot and my heart hurts........but spirituality and prayer and God protects us

paula on 5/18/02 at 11:16 (084440)

hugs to you lisa,please know that many of us don't give a darn about punctuation and whatever. i would be hurt too by what happened. hang in here. this is really a great board and you are an important member of our cyber community. don't take personally what some folks have said. jack kerouc, one of our greatest and most misunnderstood writers never cared about rules of grammer. it is the spirit, the sharing of your messages that come accross very clearly. i don't think they meant to hurt your feelings. we are all in pain and frustrated.

Re: Lisa please don't feel bad,/ I am sorry then I tried

Tammie on 5/18/02 at 16:59 (084472)

Lisa, I am so sorry that you feel this way I tryed very hard to make you feel welcome and to know that it was not what it appeared to be. The people here ARE good people with lots of helpful information! I made fun of myself so that you would feel a bit more at ease! I know I type a long story out of a simple message!

What YOU may not know it is because I try so VERY hard to not offend anyone and I just dont know HOW to down scale things. I am sorry as I am NOT college educated but my heart is as big as it could be. I always make room for another to care about and pray for. In MY Bible it teaches me to turn the other cheek and allow it to be smacked also. But to never turn away from caring and loving someone who seems to want to keep slapping you! It is to pray harder for thease people as they need it Most of all! So in hopes that you will not slap my other cheek I will continue.

So I am turning my cheek and trying once more to say Please stay around there are truly helpful people!We all have bad days and we ALL understand how the frustration and pain can take its toll on our lives and our humor and the ability to be patient! I won't offer a hug as I wouldnt want to cross the barrier That you might feel ofended! But I shall offer a warm hand with heart felt feelings of welcome to you and hope that things start to calm down in your life.

I am speaking from the depths of my heart to say I know what it is like sitting or trying to make heads over heals with the pain and my life and the changes it has made. I may not be a single mom, But I to have many obligations and I am 42 feeling much much older in my body and feet. There was a time I felt so much despair I knew it was serious as others pointed out to find help I did I am not 100% better emotionally but I am feeling much much better with the help of paxil and I am unashamed to say this.At least I now can deal with things most days on a much different level! I again apoligise that you felt dumped on and if I said something to make you angry or hurt! I am not the best writer and I tend to think this is why my letters become books! LOL Take care and may your worries soon be resolved!

Julie on 5/14/02 at 02:45 (083788)

Lisa, this may sound unkind, but I have read your post four times, and I cannot make head or tail of it. This has been true of most of your messages, and although I'd really like to be able to help you, I have not responded to your posts because I can't make sense of them.

There are a few things that would help.

Use capital letters at the beginning of sentences.
Start a new paragraph after every few sentences.
Try to use the keyboard more accurately.
Correct obvious mis-typings (fisrt, figuire, dhould, deviec, couldndt, etcetera.)
Pay a little more attention to punctuation.

I know this is an internet forum, but most people are considerate and take the same care over their communications as they would when writing a 'real' letter to a friend or a business communication. If you were applying for a job, I'm sure you'd be able to write a perfectly lucid letter with full sentences and all the words correctly typed, and you should be able to do it here, too.

I'm prepared to get jumped on for being picky, schoolmarmish, or whatever. But I hope that won't happen and that you and anyone else who is reading this will understand that it's irritating and time-wasting to have to read and re-read posts that with a little effort could have been clear.

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 08:01 (083807)

Julie, I have to confess that if a post is too hard to read - I don't read it.

My poor old eyeballs are tired as it is, there's only so much they can do..

Julie on 5/14/02 at 08:17 (083808)

You're right, Wendy. I don't know what happened there: I guess just couldn't contain my irritation and frustration. From now on I'll try to skip over carelessly posted posts.

paula on 5/14/02 at 08:55 (083811)

i'm not jumping all over the previous post but just offering a different opinion. i agree it was hard to read that post. but on the other hand, some of us don't type well, don't spell well, don't know grammar and maybe have never written a formal letter in our lives. if any of the rules of grammar intimidate a person from communicating here, i say the communication is more important. i'll slog thru the mistakes to get †he gist. i have to type fast cause of sore fingers. i say welcome aboard, the more you type here the better you'll get at it. oh, and by the way. down with capital letters!! periods make them redundant and it's hard on pinkie fingers and e.e. cummings would agree. jack kerouac approves of run on sentences and paragraphs. 'on the road' was one sentene till they edited it against his will. this post's for you jack. (:

Ellen J. on 5/14/02 at 10:18 (083820)

I had one more thought on the above issues. It recently occurred to me that some of the people on the list might be from countries that don't speak English so I thought that might be the case with some of the letters. Just something that came to me after reading a few posts, and just a guess on my part.
Ellen

Carole C in NOLA on 5/14/02 at 14:27 (083849)

Ellen, you and Paula are making good points! I'm sure there are many different reasons why some people don't write posts that we can understand. That still doesn't make the writing readable in this case!

I have read and read and read posts by lisa, and I have honestly tried to answer every single one I can. She seems like such a nice person, and my heart goes out to her because she is having such a tough time. Her posts seem like random strings of words or letters to me and usually I have no idea what she is asking about so I guess. Sometimes I can't even guess!

I have read this post a half dozen times, to no avail.

Please believe that it's not that we are unforgiving or don't want to understand due to snobbery or chauvinism. It's that we CAN'T understand, even though we are trying and do care deeply.

If you understand her question, can you translate for us?

Carole C

paula on 5/14/02 at 15:06 (083856)

carole , i am concerned that this line of discussion would be hurting lisa's feelings. it would if it were me. therefore all i would like to say is lisa, keep communicating here and thank you for telling us about what does and does not work for you. and thank you for telling us, in a different post about the inserts that do and don't work for you. to all others here i will say that i value the willingness to share above clarity of expression. and finally, i would say that many people do not understand and have never understood the written and in some case oral statements of many great artists. some who come to mind are allen ginsberg, james joyce, ozzy osbourne. i for one would like to drop this now and just say thank you for writing here lisa and everyone else here. the average human looks at me in befuddlement whenever i open my mouth, so, to quote ginsberg 'i have seen the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness' or was it airplane glue?'. or was it gerber's baby food? or was it space alien abductions? i rest my case. :)

paula on 5/14/02 at 15:36 (083859)

i have reconsidered and decided to interpret lisa's post for ya. here goes: feet hurt. pain. go to pod. get orthotic. oh no! orthotic no good. go to new pod. what should i do next? since this is such a basic post here, it probably could have been written in ancient manderin and i would have understood it. this public service announcement brought to you by me. i will also interpret ozzy osbourne but that'll cost ya. was i right lisa? :)

nancy s. on 5/14/02 at 15:53 (083864)

paula, i'm sure no one is trying to hurt lisa's feelings. in fact, it might just help her receive more replies and the information she's looking for if she's able to write a little more clearly.

i don't think it hurts to ask someone if they can make a little more effort to be understood. if they can't communicate any more clearly, they can't and so be it -- but why not ask?? it would only help her own communication, which is as important as anyone else's on the board. a request for clearer writing does not in any way negate the communication intended behind the post; in fact, it's an effort to understand that communication. the one in no way precludes the other. i think it's a kindness that this was brought up -- obviously, some people care enough to try to understand what looks like an incomprehensible post.

sometimes people have reasons for writing as they do. i was an editor for years, but since i came down with two frozen shoulders over a year ago i don't hit the shift key to capitalize anymore. i find my own posts a little harder to read because of this, but i won't be going back to caps until my shoulders are better.

if someone else found my posts hard to read because of this and brought up the subject, i think i'd feel free to explain why and let it go at that. no need to get all prickly here, in my opinion.

nancy

paula on 5/14/02 at 16:07 (083867)

hi nancy. i didn't mean to come accross as prickly. i wrote these things in a high spirit. just having fun. but i do think my brand of kindness would be to just do the best i can to figure it out and not comment on grammar or whatever. differences make the world go round. also thought if i ran around the graound with a pretend broken wing.....

Nancy N on 5/14/02 at 16:30 (083874)

Nancy/Paula--

I agree with Nancy. I'm not sure if Ellen was trying to suggest that people who are not native English speakers may be harder to understand--but by the same token, a post that is hard to read (no caps, one huge paragraph, lots of typos, no punctuation) for a native speaker is going to be even harder for someone whose English is a second language.

Punctuation, spelling, and paragraphs exist to make our communication clearer, not harder. Obviously, anyone can choose which rules to follow and which ones to ignore--but in return, they have to accept that their posts may not get the response they're looking for because people have trouble reading them. It's the prerogative of both the writer and the reader.

So I don't think anybody is making any sort of character judgments, we're just trying to point out that the harder you make it for someone to read your posts, the harder it'll be for people to respond--and you may not get the kinds of answers you're looking for. Who knows how many times someone might have had good, vital information but decided not to answer a post because they just couldn't figure it out?

Just my two cents, for whatever it's worth...

john h on 5/14/02 at 16:53 (083879)

Dear Mrs. Julie: You sound just like my third grade English teacher Mrs McCracken. I think Lisa and I went to the same school of English only Lisa probably spells better than (me) (I)?. Did I ever hate to be called to the black board by Mrs McCracken. I can see her now and am breaking out in a sweat as I type.

john h on 5/14/02 at 16:56 (083880)

Carole: Being from the swamps of south La. you are not expected to speak good English even with all your advanced degrees. Maybe it is some sort of some sort of southern genetic thing since we are all related. yall be good now! Now if you want to hear some real bad English go listen to some of those folks from Jersey (sorry Nancy N.).

john h on 5/14/02 at 17:04 (083882)

Yes Nancy two cents is about what it is worth (ha ha). Since Dr. Z and I are the worst spellers on the board we let all critical words just roll off our back since we are brilliant in other ways. Nancy I have an old crashed hard drive if you want it.

Nancy N on 5/14/02 at 17:22 (083886)

Hey, I'm not a Jersey native, so no problems here!

Nancy N on 5/14/02 at 17:33 (083887)

John--

Nobody is questioning your brilliance :) And what the heck would I want with an old dead hard drive? Unless maybe I played ice hockey and needed a new puck???

Carole C in NOLA on 5/14/02 at 17:48 (083891)

Paula, thank you! I can't understand ozzy osbourne either. (grin)

Lisa, sorry about all this mix-up. Now that you've been to your new pod, it's a good time to write down what he said to you and apply any suggestions he may have had. Also, reading or re-reading the heel pain book on this site and following the suggestions in it is a good next step. Sorry I had such trouble with your post, and I hope your feet feel better soon.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/14/02 at 18:03 (083893)

John, my steady date Bobbie that ditched me before Christmas (and for whom I still carry a torch) is an intense, sultry Creole man whose first language is not English. He used to send me real roses and that really lit my fire. When he e-mails me, his spelling is way worse than yours and his grammar is considerably less than perfect. I've never mentioned it to him, though. He knows and wishes that he could have had more education but his family could only afford to send his big brother to LSU.

His grammar and spelling have not made his letters at all difficult to understand, though. He does use punctuation, or a new line at least when he's ended a sentence. So, maybe that helps. Also, he doesn't skip words so what he writes down is in some sort of sentence.

My posts are pretty far from perfect too. I split infinitives like nobody's business. I don't care who spells what or about grammar (not having been elected Queen of the Universe), but I agree with the Nancy's; if I can't understand it, I can't answer and I feel sad that lisa has not got the help she needs from us and genuinely hope this thread is helpful and not taken as being critical.

Carole C

Re: John You forgot me I am pretty bad

Tammie on 5/14/02 at 18:08 (083894)

Heh I want to be a part of this club also! I always can admit I get excited and am flappy all at the same time so I go on and on and on!

Often with both typos and poor spelling! Unfortuantly I can not change something I am not good at lol! Look my son plans on being a english teacher and he even gives up on me!!!

I also was given a spell checker a few years back ( they looked like a caculator) My sister the teacher gave it to me and made me spell maybe about a hundred times as she hated it when I spelled it wrong! May I say I never was my teachers favorite on spelling , math and gee being active in class. I was the one hiding a book in my english book or math. Those true story deals and romance was on my mind hahahah! But all in all I am ok just dont ask me to balance your checkbook or spell or type proper!

I am not sure exactly what I was good at at school, I was a mother hen and took care of everyone LOL. Someone should get us spellchecker here!!!!! I see other forums have them it is nice so you dont feel totaly dumb!

Tammie on 5/14/02 at 18:17 (083897)

I just wanted to say that once or maybe more that I to was told to try to write and put space between things lol! I admit at first it hurt my feelings as I did not really know that it was bad haha. I would start typing and typing and no breath in between!

I understand what they are telling you and it is also a good reminder for me to recheck myself! Maybe some day they will add a spellchecker so that we can at least pretend we are intelligent haha! I just wanted to let you know it is not a barb or a insult to you it is just they really have a hard time reading our scratch! I must admit I could read yours! But see I am simple and really how I ever made it thru school I wonder! But maybe if we dont use it we lose it! Have a good day and please dont feel as tho this is a jab! Do a search you will see I went through it also!

Please dont leave or be hurt join in and soon you will understand thease friends here mean well and they are great support to us all! They are loving and very helpful! Hugs to you!OOps, I was told about that also, some people are not comfortable with hugs, and tho they do not know it I am also but I love to make others feel loved and wanted!

Re: I understand as I once was told but I know know it was out of love and teaching!(eom)

Tammie on 5/14/02 at 18:19 (083898)

By the way if u need a good laugh I just recently figured out what this darn (eom) means !!!! I am very dense lol I could for the life of me not figure it out.

Rich on 5/14/02 at 21:23 (083933)

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that you ruined your orthotic by inserting it into your cam walker. Mine came with removable pads that I could insert wherever I had a tender spot. Once they flatten out, you just remove and toss in the washing machine to fluff back up.

I doubt that the orthotics will be repairable, you might have to order new ones.

I would also like to comment on earlier posts. Your message above was very hard to decipher. I do agree that caps and perhaps more line spacing would make them easier to read. I understand that you have been taking alot of pain meds and that may impair some of your grammatical abilities.

Please don't let this add to the great amount of depression you have been suffering with. At least you have the new pod to see and from what you said about the last one not remembering if you were in the cam walker, it can't be soon enough!

I will continue to pray for you and try to answer your posts to the best of my ability.

I do confess that typos tend to jump out at me and I prefer correct punctuation...english was always my best subject, but sometimes compassion needs to overrule.

And this comes from an authenic Cajun from the Heart of Acadiana!

John H....ever heard of Boudreaux and Thibodeaux jokes? LOL

Bless Everyone with Happy Feet tonight!
Richelle

john h on 5/14/02 at 22:02 (083951)

The only Boudreaux I am familar with is wine but I think on looking at the word I would misspell the wines name. No I have not heard those jokes but need to.

Rich on 5/14/02 at 22:11 (083954)

No problem....most local last names around here are misspelled and mispronounced by 'northeners'. We have lots of names ending with 'eaux'.

I've been meaning to post some local 'humor', but most haven't been 'clean' enough to share.

What is it with you and wine? I'm noticing quite a few references and associations? LOL

Rich

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 22:57 (083970)

I never used to read Tammie's posts because there weren't any paragraphs. I wasn't being picky, but my poor old eyeballs just could not follow the lines - I'd give up and move on. Someone mentioned it nicely to her, she throws in a space here and there, and life is good.

I would much rather risk offending someone by nicely mentioning this, than just sit back and not respond to them (they may just think they're being ignored.)

I don't think anyone believes that exact grammar, spelling, and punctuation are necessary (I rarely have time to re-read what I've written). Just put in enough of an effort so that people can understand what's being written.

Julie on 5/15/02 at 01:00 (083978)

I know that I owe Lisa an apology, and give it unreservedly.

Lisa, what I said was not, really not, meant unkindly. I know you are in pain, and the frustration that was surely evident in my post stemmed entirely from wanting to help and not being able to because I could not fathom yours. I am sorry if what I said was hurtful.

Nancy, Nancy, Carole and Wendy - you've all said what I meant more kindly than I was able to. It IS important that the effort be made to be clear, because it makes it easier for those who want to help and have a useful response to offer, to do so.

(And Nancy (S), please forgive me if what I said about starting sentences with capitals was hurtful to you. I know it hurts your shoulders to hit the shift key.)

For me, being clear is much more a matter of care in keyboarding than of spelling or grammar. Hitting the right keys and correcting onself when hitting the wrong ones. Using punctuation. Breaking a long post up into paragraphs. Simply taking the trouble to make one's thought clear - especially if one is asking a question.

I needed to say this, in case anyone thinks I have a problem with people whose spelling is genuinely shaky. I don't. My dearest, oldest friend can't spell awfully well. But in her letters to me she always makes herself clear.

It's clarity I hope for - to save time and effort and to avoid frustration and possible misunderstanding. And to make possible the accurate, helpful responses that those who come here for help need.

Re: Oh no I thought I proof read this,sorry know was to be now.( eom)

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 16:51 (084055)

Darn i need to slow down

Re: Yep and that was true

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 18:14 (084068)

I did think u didnt like me. Along with some others. I will admit I can go on and on and on. I have to learn this also. But I have noone to talk to except here. I cannot talk with people else where as they would never understand.

After the first hurt feeling it is better as then someone adds that they really care it makes it much easier. I think maybe it is the way it is said lol or maybe the fram we are in when we recieve lol.Think about it tho as newbies and I think there are some here that are like so smart hehe and it intimidates me lol that is why I feel so unsure when it is a time you want to reply to someone and then think no I might be wrong or might not tell them as well as others. Often I just stick to the emotional issues and support as I am most comfortable there. But I am progressing .

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:06 (084411)

hmmm,given a typing speed of 25word per minute and this is not colloge comp 101-------plz try tolerance and patience we all are experiencing PAIN also julie and wendy i do proof read and spell correct, unless its 3am and shooting pains up my cast sad face lisa :( what a bummer just a creative soul ,confused and in pain......and your worried about all those rules you listed God bless you both

Re: One more thought...new but last one :(

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:18 (084412)

gosh carol, im from the usa my whole life and have a bachelor 's degree in fine art ,studio painter ive never been slammed so much in my entire life in one night 140iq an INFP on myers brigg test maybe someone more intelligent will understand ......i can read the posts that give thoughts and could care less about the punct. sometimes reading them is a challage and sometimes a creative joy......well anyway thought we cared about support for pf ,was i wrong? DR. C. doenst seem to have much of a problem reading my posts,maybe hes just a little more open minded and can get the idea or thought w/o formal grammer letters i am very confused and hurt, my friend on other sights have never slammed me ,some write the same :(

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:20 (084413)

your msg is redundent and too long for me

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:21 (084414)

nancy are you mean or in pain?

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:23 (084415)

i never felt ignorned ,got alot of great responses from select people .....with info that helped alot ,God bless you all

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:26 (084416)

last try! -form ORIGINAL POST yes ther must have been many errors in it ,i apologize to those it offend plz dont open another single post of mine, PLEASE, but if any one could make any sense out of the questions i had i'd appreciate a response ,not a grammer lesson,lisa

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:30 (084417)

no need to respond if you cant understand ,it sometimes tears and high pain or, emotions that may affect the 'formal readability' lots of people dont understand modern art also ,just an after thought BYE

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:32 (084418)

cant read your post- too long ,and my attention span doesn't allow it

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 01:39 (084419)

God bless ya ,tears are welling up,im just not a great typist and ideas quick and to the point have been my prefrence......i am avery articulate nice smart funny interesting and CARING person,luv lisa thank you for your prayers ,John.........actully im a PHONE PERSON LUV TAALKING I hate the slowness of typing out each SINGLE letter ............ my foot and my heart hurts........but spirituality and prayer and God protects us

paula on 5/18/02 at 11:16 (084440)

hugs to you lisa,please know that many of us don't give a darn about punctuation and whatever. i would be hurt too by what happened. hang in here. this is really a great board and you are an important member of our cyber community. don't take personally what some folks have said. jack kerouc, one of our greatest and most misunnderstood writers never cared about rules of grammer. it is the spirit, the sharing of your messages that come accross very clearly. i don't think they meant to hurt your feelings. we are all in pain and frustrated.

Re: Lisa please don't feel bad,/ I am sorry then I tried

Tammie on 5/18/02 at 16:59 (084472)

Lisa, I am so sorry that you feel this way I tryed very hard to make you feel welcome and to know that it was not what it appeared to be. The people here ARE good people with lots of helpful information! I made fun of myself so that you would feel a bit more at ease! I know I type a long story out of a simple message!

What YOU may not know it is because I try so VERY hard to not offend anyone and I just dont know HOW to down scale things. I am sorry as I am NOT college educated but my heart is as big as it could be. I always make room for another to care about and pray for. In MY Bible it teaches me to turn the other cheek and allow it to be smacked also. But to never turn away from caring and loving someone who seems to want to keep slapping you! It is to pray harder for thease people as they need it Most of all! So in hopes that you will not slap my other cheek I will continue.

So I am turning my cheek and trying once more to say Please stay around there are truly helpful people!We all have bad days and we ALL understand how the frustration and pain can take its toll on our lives and our humor and the ability to be patient! I won't offer a hug as I wouldnt want to cross the barrier That you might feel ofended! But I shall offer a warm hand with heart felt feelings of welcome to you and hope that things start to calm down in your life.

I am speaking from the depths of my heart to say I know what it is like sitting or trying to make heads over heals with the pain and my life and the changes it has made. I may not be a single mom, But I to have many obligations and I am 42 feeling much much older in my body and feet. There was a time I felt so much despair I knew it was serious as others pointed out to find help I did I am not 100% better emotionally but I am feeling much much better with the help of paxil and I am unashamed to say this.At least I now can deal with things most days on a much different level! I again apoligise that you felt dumped on and if I said something to make you angry or hurt! I am not the best writer and I tend to think this is why my letters become books! LOL Take care and may your worries soon be resolved!