Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

babies and feet

Posted by lisa k on 5/14/02 at 02:53 (083789)

i ordered a preet medically intense book about foot orthodic and conservative treatment options(dont understand alot of the medical terms but im tring) in one part they tal about rear foot deformity and hyperflexible flatt foot and show sleep positions of babies wheere condition exists, can a person be born with slight deformities that lead to big time problems only later in life , also do most babies feet develope adequte arch sopport and out groe bowleggef pronation, why didnt pediatricians treat someone with this condition in crital early development growth stage, my feet in 65-70s 1-5yrs old,did the technology not not exist thanks Lisa k

how can you know a tear is aok?

:)one more i got these heel stabilizer u shape 3/4 lenth for my teen son ,he did say it helped him walk straighter,forget product name his feet are ok just ankles hurt him,pronate but has arches,from medical supply comp in pediatric feet,can it do any harm ? semi flexiblenothing in middle

Re: babies and feet

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/02 at 21:20 (083931)

I consider the treatment of foot problems of infants and children to be one of the most important parts of my practice. There is no question that many foot problems facing adults could have been prevented if good treatment was provided much earlier. Many pediatricians are not well versed in this area. One of the difficulties is the lack of long term studies that demonstrate the long term effects of treating infant foot problems. Such studies are hard to structure and the funding would be hard to come by.

I have treated 2 of my own children for intoeing when they were toddlers. I have no doubt of the benefit of such treatment but do not have written studies to present to pediatricians which many want to convince them.
Ed

Re: babies and feet

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/02 at 21:20 (083931)

I consider the treatment of foot problems of infants and children to be one of the most important parts of my practice. There is no question that many foot problems facing adults could have been prevented if good treatment was provided much earlier. Many pediatricians are not well versed in this area. One of the difficulties is the lack of long term studies that demonstrate the long term effects of treating infant foot problems. Such studies are hard to structure and the funding would be hard to come by.

I have treated 2 of my own children for intoeing when they were toddlers. I have no doubt of the benefit of such treatment but do not have written studies to present to pediatricians which many want to convince them.
Ed