Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question for a doctor

Posted by kay on 5/14/02 at 10:26 (083824)

i am seeing a ortheapedic for my feet.
i have p.f. and he says i have nerve problems also as they are burning and tingling. i can press on the bottom of my right foot and feel my nerve in the second toe on top.
i cannot have the ossatron as my insurance will not cover it.
so i will have open surgery in june...i've tried everything else.
everything i read about this says i will not be able to work for a long time. if i have each foot done separately will i be off longer than a year from april 16th? the reason i am asking is i am being told by friends to file for temp disability.
i am reading that it takes 7 months or more after surgery to walk good on the foot. i work in a factory and i need to be in good shape before i go back. so if i had surgery and it took that long, then i had the other one done i will be in the poor house and out of sick pay from my employer.
help.
kay

Re: question for a doctor

J. King on 5/14/02 at 14:23 (083848)

Does your employer provide light duty for those with temporary disabilities? In other words, will your employer provide you with some work where you can be off your feet?

kay on 5/14/02 at 15:03 (083855)

absolutely not! unless i was injured on the job then they would go out of their way to find me work. i do not want to live the rest of my life on disability. i only want help while i cannot work. i have worked since i was 12 years old except for from 18-28 while my kids were little. now i am 46. way to young to retire.
kat

J. King on 5/14/02 at 18:14 (083896)

Yes, I know, I had to throw in the towel at 52 because my feet and wrist and shoulder gave out. I was a postal worker and 99% of postal jobs require standing and walking.

SHIVELY9@PRODIGY.NET on 5/14/02 at 18:27 (083901)

i am only 44 years old. About a year ago my heel started hurting. I have been to 3 doctors and had two cortisone shots. I wear orthotics and quality tennis shoes. I have to physical therapy. I have been casted for 8 weeks. I still have the pain when I try to use my left foot. My problem is not going away, even with the stretching and all of the other methods. What to do? I am afraid of surgery. Any ideas?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/16/02 at 15:57 (084184)

Are you sure that you really have had all of the appropriate treatments before considering surgery? Read Scott's Heel Pain Book to find out.

What type of surgery are you considering?
Ed

DR Zuckerman on 5/16/02 at 17:08 (084202)

Hi

ESWT is the option instead of foot surgery

trish e on 5/20/02 at 07:19 (084648)

hi kay,i did get approval for short term disabily i had tts and fassia release on 2-26-2002 i have had alot of problems with the healing process iam now in a air cast 24/7 except to bath because i had alot of pain in the heel area and alot of swelling,i work in a hospital doing 12 hour shifts and there is no way i could do it so good luck to ya.

J. King on 5/14/02 at 14:23 (083848)

Does your employer provide light duty for those with temporary disabilities? In other words, will your employer provide you with some work where you can be off your feet?

kay on 5/14/02 at 15:03 (083855)

absolutely not! unless i was injured on the job then they would go out of their way to find me work. i do not want to live the rest of my life on disability. i only want help while i cannot work. i have worked since i was 12 years old except for from 18-28 while my kids were little. now i am 46. way to young to retire.
kat

J. King on 5/14/02 at 18:14 (083896)

Yes, I know, I had to throw in the towel at 52 because my feet and wrist and shoulder gave out. I was a postal worker and 99% of postal jobs require standing and walking.

SHIVELY9@PRODIGY.NET on 5/14/02 at 18:27 (083901)

i am only 44 years old. About a year ago my heel started hurting. I have been to 3 doctors and had two cortisone shots. I wear orthotics and quality tennis shoes. I have to physical therapy. I have been casted for 8 weeks. I still have the pain when I try to use my left foot. My problem is not going away, even with the stretching and all of the other methods. What to do? I am afraid of surgery. Any ideas?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/16/02 at 15:57 (084184)

Are you sure that you really have had all of the appropriate treatments before considering surgery? Read Scott's Heel Pain Book to find out.

What type of surgery are you considering?
Ed

DR Zuckerman on 5/16/02 at 17:08 (084202)

Hi

ESWT is the option instead of foot surgery

trish e on 5/20/02 at 07:19 (084648)

hi kay,i did get approval for short term disabily i had tts and fassia release on 2-26-2002 i have had alot of problems with the healing process iam now in a air cast 24/7 except to bath because i had alot of pain in the heel area and alot of swelling,i work in a hospital doing 12 hour shifts and there is no way i could do it so good luck to ya.