Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot clinic

Posted by Rachel W. on 5/14/02 at 10:49 (083825)

Went to foot clinic today.
Saw a pod (very young). When she called for me, I got up and walked to her. She looked at me quite shocked and said 'Is it that bad?'. I said 'It was very bad'. She said that she had never seen anybody with PF so severe.
I was probably the second or third patient she had ever seen.

She examined my legs and said that my left leg was longer than my right leg. I had never noticed that before but I must admit now that I can notice it. Maybe my left leg has grown recently.

She said that I have a flat arch in my left foot and a high arch in my right foot.

She said that she will make me some orthotics and they will be ready middle of next week with instructions and that I am to see her in about six weeks.

She told me to pull my toes upwards with my hands in the mornings and to massage my feet on a golf ball in round movements. I asked her about going barefoot and she said that it was O.K. to.
I wouldn't be able to if I could but I was just asking her out of curiosity.

She said she would give me night splints next time I go if it doesn't get any better.

Anyway, I thought I'd let everyone know how I got on. In case they were interested.

Re: Foot clinic

Rachel W. on 5/14/02 at 10:51 (083826)

Forgot to say that she gave me an extra heel pad for my right leg to compensate the lack of length.

Sharon W on 5/14/02 at 11:17 (083832)

Rachel,

In several ways, you're probably lucky to have a young pod. She obviously still has compassion for people in pain and has not become 'hardened' to the suffering of her patients; that is GOOD (for you). She will probably also take time to research your situation or to consult with other professionals about your situation whenever that is appropriate, to be sure she is doing the best she can for you.

I'm a bit surprised that she said to come back in 6 weeks, though, especially after saying what she did about all the pain you are obviously in. My pod had me come back as soon as the orthotics were ready (that took 3 weeks) so that I would have them as soon as possible and she could personally observe how well they fit. She also observed my gait(the way I walked) with them in my shoes.

You didn't mention anything about this -- but did she prescribe you any new anti-inflammatories, or pain meds?

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 5/15/02 at 05:47 (083986)

Sharon,

No, she didn't prescribe any medication. I've bought some Ibuprofen gel though and I'll have to see how I get on with that.

I don't know if you know I live in the U.K. and I'm under the N.H.S. They are very slow at dealing with anything. I was dealt with quite quickly for their standards, so reviewing me in 6 weeks is probably the procedure.
Not ideal I suppose but I'll just have to accept it.

Anyway, thanks for your response and I'll keep you posted.

Re: Rachel: Foot Clinic

Sharon W on 5/15/02 at 11:52 (084024)

Rachel,

Sorry, I realize I don't know too much about the NHS in the U.K., since I am in the U.S. myself. It sounds like you'll be GETTING your orthotics about 10 days FASTER than I did.

It's just that I think what my pod said about it being important for the Dr. to check the fit of the new orthotics before you start using them, and to do a gait observation to make you the patient can walk in them. It really makes a lot of sense. If something had been wrong with my new orthotics, she would probably have seen it, and in that case her expert observations would most likely have spared me some pain and maybe even some foot damage.

The ibuprofen cream sounds like a VERY GOOD idea. And, worst comes to worst, if you feel you need a night splint sooner than your next appointment at the foot clinic, you can always order one from the web, or even from this website.

Best of luck to you, Rachel; I hope you find relief SOON!

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 5/15/02 at 11:57 (084025)

Rachel,

I really MANGLED that first sentance in the second paragraph!

I meant to say: 'It's just that I think what my pod said MAKES SENSE, about it being important for the Dr. to check the fit of the new orthotics before you start using them, and to do a gait observation to make sure you (the patient) can walk in them.'

-- Sharon

Ann M on 5/15/02 at 12:53 (084034)

I have corn on my toes and would like to have surgry to remove them is it possible to have them remove, I have tried corn removes and they don't work.

Rachel W. on 5/15/02 at 15:30 (084045)

Sharon,

I understand what you're saying. She should make sure they fit me properly.
Maybe I'll ring her and suggest it myself.

Thanks again.

Rachel.

Rachel W. on 5/14/02 at 10:51 (083826)

Forgot to say that she gave me an extra heel pad for my right leg to compensate the lack of length.

Sharon W on 5/14/02 at 11:17 (083832)

Rachel,

In several ways, you're probably lucky to have a young pod. She obviously still has compassion for people in pain and has not become 'hardened' to the suffering of her patients; that is GOOD (for you). She will probably also take time to research your situation or to consult with other professionals about your situation whenever that is appropriate, to be sure she is doing the best she can for you.

I'm a bit surprised that she said to come back in 6 weeks, though, especially after saying what she did about all the pain you are obviously in. My pod had me come back as soon as the orthotics were ready (that took 3 weeks) so that I would have them as soon as possible and she could personally observe how well they fit. She also observed my gait(the way I walked) with them in my shoes.

You didn't mention anything about this -- but did she prescribe you any new anti-inflammatories, or pain meds?

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 5/15/02 at 05:47 (083986)

Sharon,

No, she didn't prescribe any medication. I've bought some Ibuprofen gel though and I'll have to see how I get on with that.

I don't know if you know I live in the U.K. and I'm under the N.H.S. They are very slow at dealing with anything. I was dealt with quite quickly for their standards, so reviewing me in 6 weeks is probably the procedure.
Not ideal I suppose but I'll just have to accept it.

Anyway, thanks for your response and I'll keep you posted.

Sharon W on 5/15/02 at 11:52 (084024)

Rachel,

Sorry, I realize I don't know too much about the NHS in the U.K., since I am in the U.S. myself. It sounds like you'll be GETTING your orthotics about 10 days FASTER than I did.

It's just that I think what my pod said about it being important for the Dr. to check the fit of the new orthotics before you start using them, and to do a gait observation to make you the patient can walk in them. It really makes a lot of sense. If something had been wrong with my new orthotics, she would probably have seen it, and in that case her expert observations would most likely have spared me some pain and maybe even some foot damage.

The ibuprofen cream sounds like a VERY GOOD idea. And, worst comes to worst, if you feel you need a night splint sooner than your next appointment at the foot clinic, you can always order one from the web, or even from this website.

Best of luck to you, Rachel; I hope you find relief SOON!

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 5/15/02 at 11:57 (084025)

Rachel,

I really MANGLED that first sentance in the second paragraph!

I meant to say: 'It's just that I think what my pod said MAKES SENSE, about it being important for the Dr. to check the fit of the new orthotics before you start using them, and to do a gait observation to make sure you (the patient) can walk in them.'

-- Sharon

Ann M on 5/15/02 at 12:53 (084034)

I have corn on my toes and would like to have surgry to remove them is it possible to have them remove, I have tried corn removes and they don't work.

Rachel W. on 5/15/02 at 15:30 (084045)

Sharon,

I understand what you're saying. She should make sure they fit me properly.
Maybe I'll ring her and suggest it myself.

Thanks again.

Rachel.