Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

just got a disturbing phone call

Posted by paula on 5/14/02 at 16:13 (083869)

a man with a spooky voice just called me and said that the last phone call i got (from someone i don't know but was considering interviewing for an internship here) might have been a calling card fraud user. so would i tell him who called me. i said that i don't necessarily believe him ( i mean he could be a stalker for all i know) and i didn't want to get involved with cloak and dagger stuff that has nothing to do with me. then he sort of intimidated me and said if i won't tell him, the fbi will be getting in touch with me so i said this whole conversation is upsetting me and sounds fishy, what is your name and he got all upset and hung up. so i called his number back and asked to speak to who is in charge and they hung up on me. weird, huh? he would not give me his last name.

Re: just got a disturbing phone call

Sharon W on 5/14/02 at 16:16 (083872)

Paula,

That IS disturbing! Maybe it was some kind of a prank?

-- Sharon

paula on 5/14/02 at 16:42 (083875)

i don't think so. when i called back it was a company but the women who answered also sounded weird. maybe they are an organization who hunts down calling card thiefs but if they are their approach to the innocent receiver of the call is very very weird and spooky and intimidating. i'm not giving some anonymous man information about anyone. he wanted to know the name of the caller and mentioned a woman's name. that got got me suspicious right there. how do i know who he really is and why he wants to hunt this person down. he might be a criminal himself for all i know.

Sharon W on 5/14/02 at 16:47 (083876)

Paula,

Surely a LEGITIMATE company or investigator in charge of hunting down calling card thieves would not try to threaten people when they are asking them for help! I wouldn't be at all surprised it it were a criminal of some kind who called you. I was trying to think of a way it could be a scam, but nothing came to mind...

-- Sharon

john h on 5/14/02 at 17:11 (083885)

Paula: does Scott know your phone number?

Pauline on 5/14/02 at 18:25 (083900)

Paula,
Very upsetting. Lot of disturbed people out there looking for a scam. If you have the number I'd give it to the police and just tell them what happened. It might make you fell better.

Re: Could be someone at a credit agency...

Mahatmelissama on 5/14/02 at 20:16 (083922)

I got a phone number that used to below to someone who didn't pay her bills. For the 3 years I used it...credit agencies kept hassling me...one time I said 'Look, this isn't blah-blah' and the lady hissed 'Mam, all you hafta say is you don't accept the calls!' Now, my last name is a very anglo sounding name and this lady had a very Asian sounding name. People who called for her spoke one of the Asian languages and then hung up on me when I said 'Please only English'. The credit agencies still thought WE HAVE OUR WOMAN...let's keep calling!!!

The landline I have (which me and my roomate share only for calling out and internet...we use our cell phones for receiving calls) is replete with calls from credit agencies looking for some man and our outgoing is my roomate's voice (female) with our phone number.

I think it is a credit agency. I would not worry about it. They think they have tracked down the person they want.

Rich on 5/14/02 at 21:33 (083937)

Paula, I was a supervisor in a call center for over six years. We used to get all sorts of weird calls. Some were pranks and some were attempts to get access into our phone system. I feel that if this was legimate, the caller would have given you his full name and credentials at the beginning of the call. You did the right thing and you probably shouldn't worry about it further.

Rich

paula on 5/14/02 at 22:11 (083955)

well, my friend came home and said the same thing rich. i'll just forget about it. there are sure a lot of jerks out there. this was a weird day all around.

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 22:53 (083969)

Paula = that does not sound right at all. Please consider calling your police non-emergency number and report it. This could be a scam. Any legitimate company would gladly have you call them back to verify that they are legitimate.

Julie on 5/15/02 at 00:13 (083976)

Paula, do tell the police. You have the man's number, so it will be easy for them to investigate the incident. Don't just forget it. You'll probably not be bothered by them again, whoeever they are, but they're obviously dodgy, and reporting them now may save others from being harassed. What happened to you could be terrifying to, say, a lonely old or ill person.

Re: John H.

Necee on 5/15/02 at 01:22 (083981)

John, you are a riot!
Necee

JudyS on 5/15/02 at 09:42 (084005)

Paula, I'm curious - how did that second caller even get your phone number and how did he know someone had just phoned you?

paula on 5/15/02 at 11:26 (084018)

good question judy. it was weird. he had this deep, slow spooky voice. foreign accent. kept trying to threaten and intimidate me. i am mulling over everyone's advice here at this point. thanks for the feedback. it is nice to have this board and not feel so alone when weirdos call and upset my day.

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 05:30 (084113)

Paula--

The more you say about this call, the weirder it sounds, to me. I sure hope you decide to call the police--it might turn out to be nothing, but better safe than sorry. Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.

Sharon W on 5/14/02 at 16:16 (083872)

Paula,

That IS disturbing! Maybe it was some kind of a prank?

-- Sharon

paula on 5/14/02 at 16:42 (083875)

i don't think so. when i called back it was a company but the women who answered also sounded weird. maybe they are an organization who hunts down calling card thiefs but if they are their approach to the innocent receiver of the call is very very weird and spooky and intimidating. i'm not giving some anonymous man information about anyone. he wanted to know the name of the caller and mentioned a woman's name. that got got me suspicious right there. how do i know who he really is and why he wants to hunt this person down. he might be a criminal himself for all i know.

Sharon W on 5/14/02 at 16:47 (083876)

Paula,

Surely a LEGITIMATE company or investigator in charge of hunting down calling card thieves would not try to threaten people when they are asking them for help! I wouldn't be at all surprised it it were a criminal of some kind who called you. I was trying to think of a way it could be a scam, but nothing came to mind...

-- Sharon

john h on 5/14/02 at 17:11 (083885)

Paula: does Scott know your phone number?

Pauline on 5/14/02 at 18:25 (083900)

Paula,
Very upsetting. Lot of disturbed people out there looking for a scam. If you have the number I'd give it to the police and just tell them what happened. It might make you fell better.

Re: Could be someone at a credit agency...

Mahatmelissama on 5/14/02 at 20:16 (083922)

I got a phone number that used to below to someone who didn't pay her bills. For the 3 years I used it...credit agencies kept hassling me...one time I said 'Look, this isn't blah-blah' and the lady hissed 'Mam, all you hafta say is you don't accept the calls!' Now, my last name is a very anglo sounding name and this lady had a very Asian sounding name. People who called for her spoke one of the Asian languages and then hung up on me when I said 'Please only English'. The credit agencies still thought WE HAVE OUR WOMAN...let's keep calling!!!

The landline I have (which me and my roomate share only for calling out and internet...we use our cell phones for receiving calls) is replete with calls from credit agencies looking for some man and our outgoing is my roomate's voice (female) with our phone number.

I think it is a credit agency. I would not worry about it. They think they have tracked down the person they want.

Rich on 5/14/02 at 21:33 (083937)

Paula, I was a supervisor in a call center for over six years. We used to get all sorts of weird calls. Some were pranks and some were attempts to get access into our phone system. I feel that if this was legimate, the caller would have given you his full name and credentials at the beginning of the call. You did the right thing and you probably shouldn't worry about it further.

Rich

paula on 5/14/02 at 22:11 (083955)

well, my friend came home and said the same thing rich. i'll just forget about it. there are sure a lot of jerks out there. this was a weird day all around.

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 22:53 (083969)

Paula = that does not sound right at all. Please consider calling your police non-emergency number and report it. This could be a scam. Any legitimate company would gladly have you call them back to verify that they are legitimate.

Julie on 5/15/02 at 00:13 (083976)

Paula, do tell the police. You have the man's number, so it will be easy for them to investigate the incident. Don't just forget it. You'll probably not be bothered by them again, whoeever they are, but they're obviously dodgy, and reporting them now may save others from being harassed. What happened to you could be terrifying to, say, a lonely old or ill person.

Re: John H.

Necee on 5/15/02 at 01:22 (083981)

John, you are a riot!
Necee

JudyS on 5/15/02 at 09:42 (084005)

Paula, I'm curious - how did that second caller even get your phone number and how did he know someone had just phoned you?

paula on 5/15/02 at 11:26 (084018)

good question judy. it was weird. he had this deep, slow spooky voice. foreign accent. kept trying to threaten and intimidate me. i am mulling over everyone's advice here at this point. thanks for the feedback. it is nice to have this board and not feel so alone when weirdos call and upset my day.

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 05:30 (084113)

Paula--

The more you say about this call, the weirder it sounds, to me. I sure hope you decide to call the police--it might turn out to be nothing, but better safe than sorry. Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.