Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascities/Tarsel Tunnel

Posted by Jennifer H on 5/14/02 at 18:53 (083904)

I'm a 31 old female who has dealt with Plantar Fascities?Tarsel Tunnel. I first got in my left foot. My Podiatrists tried everything to cure my problem. He did everything from having a cast put on, to physical therapy. to having needles stuck in me to see if I had nerve damage. The pain got so bad that I could hardly walk. I ended up having surgery done in April of 1999. It helped all the pain I was having. Then in late 2000 I started to have the same symtoms again. I've had plenty of cortinsone injections to help the pain and the problem. It didn't go away.So my Foot Doctor diqanosied me with having it again. So there again I had to have surgery done in Dec. of 2000 on my right foot. I even have custom made orthocics. I've read some info on how you can get it and I truly believe it's from standing on hard floors. Because I didn't have any problems with my feet until after a year of being at my current job. I do have high arches but I don't believe that is the cause. There are a few other poeple I work with that are now having problems with their feet. Vioxx works good for me. It's not a cure all but, it helps me with being able to walk and the arthrities that I may have and all the scar tissue. I'd like to be able to this claimed for Workmanscomp but I don't know if I have a strong enough case for it. The surgerys are no guarntee but, when you can't hardly walk it's the only thing you can do. My feet will never be the same and I will probably have to retire early cause I don't see my feet lasting with having Arthrities so bad that I can't walk anymore.
Good Luck to all you people out there that have this it's been a rough 5 years since i started having problems with my feet.
Jennifer

Re: Plantar Fascities/Tarsel Tunnel

Lara T on 5/14/02 at 19:17 (083910)

Your history sounds very similar to mine, although I never had the surgery's or cortisone shots - and having read other people's posts, I'm glad. Vioxx (or its siblings) were great for me for keeping things below the threshold, but only lessened the discomfort. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you haven't read the thread on 'compression socks' I suggest finding it in the archives. They don't work for everyone, but they did wonders for me. Since your history sounds similar I wonder if you might want to try it - it's relatively inexpensive and non-invasive. I was at the point where I was crawling around the house, and limiting my water intake and eating so I wouldn't later have to get up and go to the bathroom. Because I was hesitating on surgery my pod tried compression socks (or maybe he would have tried them anyway. My podiatrist (who seems to have a very good handle on TTS - an opinion I continue to hold after listening to all the people on this list as well as obtaining second and third opinions from orthopods, although I have thus far rejected the recommendation for surgery - but the compression socks work so well for me I hate to risk surgery) says that if someone has Plantar Fascitis for over a year it's probably TTS - not sure that is an exact quote - wouldn't want to misrepresent him. With the arthritis, compression socks might not be so great either. Are they sure it's arthritis, or can they just not figure out another explanation?

If you've already tried the compression socks - my apologies. I know how frustrating it is to try and manage your own health, and have lots of other people giving you their solution, that you have either already tried unusuccessfully or that you then have to track down and most the time will end up being a dead end.

Maybe one of these days I'll get to organzing all the notes on this discussion group and coming up with some kind of protocol or sign-posts or whatever so that people can have a chart of various options, side-effects, etc. Right now we all seem at the mercy of how well TTS, and possible treatments, are understood by the doctors and medical community where we live, as TTS is a relatively newcomer on the medical horizon.

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 17:45 (084063)

I to am sorry as it seems to being seen more often. I think it is like any illness there are no two exact same case but some things are similar. Unfortuantly it seems to be common to a great deal of people as you look here it grows and grows.

I to tryed a compression socks but did not have any luck with them. Not to say they failed but jsut not enough difference to record. Many say they have luck with the contrasting baths, cold and hot.Some think ice is a best friend, to me it was heat and still seems to be my choice ice drives me insane along with pain.Pt seems to be choice with others if nothing else they can ease the calfs when they are knotted .Along with teaching you suposedly safe streches. Me I am a bad learner as if it hurts more then i can take I am done . I will give a honest try but I will not stay up night after night because I did some stretch that i later learn here is not so good.

There are so many things some say accupuncture, and parrifin treatments, chrio, Art therapy are helpful some say Jade that was shown here as a trial helps but then for every one it helps some say it did not.There seems to many meds tried from neurontin,elavil,ultram vioxx, celebrex,mobic,and most likly many more than I can remember. But so far I have not found the perfect cure for me even the surgery did not help , in fact I can honestly say now , I had high hopes of it working, but to my added distress It did not cure me. I am one that is far worse then when I started, but in fairness to the medical field I was not a great canidate as I did not follow my instructions as I should have. I think life is not ever perfect and so neither is surgery. Some will be good some bad and maybe thru neithers fault. But in any of thease thoughts take plenty of time to really research the ways it is done and what could be the worse and what could be the best, and be ready to deal with the in between.

I do understand what you are saying about not walking with out pain or crawling I really hear you . But there is nothing to say that you will be worse and there is nothing to say you will be better either. But you can be prepared and well researched so that you might pick the best for your self. We are all different and will respond different to treatments and to our thoughts to them. So read my friend and then read some more . When you think you can accept the what ifs and such then make a decision. Dont ever be pushed into either choices.Pain is something you need to have relief from so that you might think with a better frame of mind and maybe some sleep. Good Luck I guess I wasnt more help, oh yes have you had the normal blood work, I hear alot about b vitamins and r arthiritis, diabeetes, thyroid and such also. Good Luck!

aeyster on 5/23/02 at 13:00 (084994)

I to have problems with hard floors and my feet. I had small problems for the last 2-3 years. I brushed it off thinking it was a bit of arthritis or I was out of shape. I live in a small town and don't know anyone with tarsal tunnel so it is hard for people to understand what is wrong with me. I look healthy and I'm only 45 so most people don't understand why I'm not the same person. I can't walk for very long without pain. I have found that really, really soft cushiony shoes are all I can wear. My othotics are hard, although I do feel they are correcting the way I walk. I am going to design and make my own shoes as a summer project. This will be a fun art theropy project for me. Best of all I can do most of the work with my feet up in the recliner. I've been collecting a variety of materials, shoes etc... If they help I'll post something on the internet to share. If anyone has any ideas please share.

Lara T on 5/14/02 at 19:17 (083910)

Your history sounds very similar to mine, although I never had the surgery's or cortisone shots - and having read other people's posts, I'm glad. Vioxx (or its siblings) were great for me for keeping things below the threshold, but only lessened the discomfort. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you haven't read the thread on 'compression socks' I suggest finding it in the archives. They don't work for everyone, but they did wonders for me. Since your history sounds similar I wonder if you might want to try it - it's relatively inexpensive and non-invasive. I was at the point where I was crawling around the house, and limiting my water intake and eating so I wouldn't later have to get up and go to the bathroom. Because I was hesitating on surgery my pod tried compression socks (or maybe he would have tried them anyway. My podiatrist (who seems to have a very good handle on TTS - an opinion I continue to hold after listening to all the people on this list as well as obtaining second and third opinions from orthopods, although I have thus far rejected the recommendation for surgery - but the compression socks work so well for me I hate to risk surgery) says that if someone has Plantar Fascitis for over a year it's probably TTS - not sure that is an exact quote - wouldn't want to misrepresent him. With the arthritis, compression socks might not be so great either. Are they sure it's arthritis, or can they just not figure out another explanation?

If you've already tried the compression socks - my apologies. I know how frustrating it is to try and manage your own health, and have lots of other people giving you their solution, that you have either already tried unusuccessfully or that you then have to track down and most the time will end up being a dead end.

Maybe one of these days I'll get to organzing all the notes on this discussion group and coming up with some kind of protocol or sign-posts or whatever so that people can have a chart of various options, side-effects, etc. Right now we all seem at the mercy of how well TTS, and possible treatments, are understood by the doctors and medical community where we live, as TTS is a relatively newcomer on the medical horizon.

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 17:45 (084063)

I to am sorry as it seems to being seen more often. I think it is like any illness there are no two exact same case but some things are similar. Unfortuantly it seems to be common to a great deal of people as you look here it grows and grows.

I to tryed a compression socks but did not have any luck with them. Not to say they failed but jsut not enough difference to record. Many say they have luck with the contrasting baths, cold and hot.Some think ice is a best friend, to me it was heat and still seems to be my choice ice drives me insane along with pain.Pt seems to be choice with others if nothing else they can ease the calfs when they are knotted .Along with teaching you suposedly safe streches. Me I am a bad learner as if it hurts more then i can take I am done . I will give a honest try but I will not stay up night after night because I did some stretch that i later learn here is not so good.

There are so many things some say accupuncture, and parrifin treatments, chrio, Art therapy are helpful some say Jade that was shown here as a trial helps but then for every one it helps some say it did not.There seems to many meds tried from neurontin,elavil,ultram vioxx, celebrex,mobic,and most likly many more than I can remember. But so far I have not found the perfect cure for me even the surgery did not help , in fact I can honestly say now , I had high hopes of it working, but to my added distress It did not cure me. I am one that is far worse then when I started, but in fairness to the medical field I was not a great canidate as I did not follow my instructions as I should have. I think life is not ever perfect and so neither is surgery. Some will be good some bad and maybe thru neithers fault. But in any of thease thoughts take plenty of time to really research the ways it is done and what could be the worse and what could be the best, and be ready to deal with the in between.

I do understand what you are saying about not walking with out pain or crawling I really hear you . But there is nothing to say that you will be worse and there is nothing to say you will be better either. But you can be prepared and well researched so that you might pick the best for your self. We are all different and will respond different to treatments and to our thoughts to them. So read my friend and then read some more . When you think you can accept the what ifs and such then make a decision. Dont ever be pushed into either choices.Pain is something you need to have relief from so that you might think with a better frame of mind and maybe some sleep. Good Luck I guess I wasnt more help, oh yes have you had the normal blood work, I hear alot about b vitamins and r arthiritis, diabeetes, thyroid and such also. Good Luck!

aeyster on 5/23/02 at 13:00 (084994)

I to have problems with hard floors and my feet. I had small problems for the last 2-3 years. I brushed it off thinking it was a bit of arthritis or I was out of shape. I live in a small town and don't know anyone with tarsal tunnel so it is hard for people to understand what is wrong with me. I look healthy and I'm only 45 so most people don't understand why I'm not the same person. I can't walk for very long without pain. I have found that really, really soft cushiony shoes are all I can wear. My othotics are hard, although I do feel they are correcting the way I walk. I am going to design and make my own shoes as a summer project. This will be a fun art theropy project for me. Best of all I can do most of the work with my feet up in the recliner. I've been collecting a variety of materials, shoes etc... If they help I'll post something on the internet to share. If anyone has any ideas please share.