Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post OP cramping in calf

Posted by Kevin I on 5/14/02 at 19:50 (083915)

Need advice - I'm 14 days post op from an open PF and TTS surgery. Three days ago I started having constant cramping in my calf (same leg as surgery) Like a charley horse that won't go away. Doctor OK'd me to take splint off and try light stretching to work out (still NWB). This didn't help so he ordered Venous Doppler test which ruled out a clot. My calf feels very tight and very painful just trying to massage it a little. I got impression this isn't common. Any other patients out there complaining of this?

Re: Post OP cramping in calf

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 20:22 (083923)

Kevin:
Do you have pain i nthe back of the calf on compression. It sounds like your describing a venous blood clot. Your doctor ordered the right doppler test.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 22:45 (083966)

Kevin - I'm glad you called the doctor and they ruled out a clot. What does your doctor think it is?

Are you holding your leg in a funny position that could be aggravating it?

Kevin I on 5/15/02 at 17:57 (084064)

Doctor Coz that's exactly where the pain is. This will be the 4th day now w/out any let up. Doctor told me I could keep the splint off so I've been trying to stretch it out (lightly) while sitting. The technician doing the doppler started at my groin and went completely down my leg. He would gently push and release the vein with his finger when he did that on my calf I almost came off the table. He told me everything looked good, but that chief radiologist would review results w/ my doctor. Doctor called later to assure me I didn't have a clot. It's weird in the sense that my left calf (surgery left foot) is as big and muscular as my right which has been doing double duty for over 2 weeks. I just wonder if the pain is my body's way of keeping that calf muscle from atrophy (just my thought, doctors can laugh). Good news heel and ankle feel fine, appears to be healing good.

Kevin I on 5/15/02 at 18:08 (084067)

Wendy, he really doesn't know - at least he's being honest w/ me. I guess when I'm on crutches which isn't a whole lot I hold it 'funny'. I would think my quad muscle and thigh in the upper leg is bearing most of that weight though. I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about this which has me somewhat puzzled, and ruling out the clot is the big relief.

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 18:51 (084077)

Hi

I would try heat compresses twenty three or four time daily. It is possible that the cuff used to stop blood to the foot during the surgery aggrevated the one of the tendons. In addition there are tendon in the tarsal tunnel such as the FDL , PT. They can check these tendons with an ultrsound to see if they are injured or imflamed.

Kevin I on 5/16/02 at 15:43 (084179)

Dr. Z - Thanks for advice. My calf is finally starting to loosen up and feel better. I hope to stay on this track. If it comes back I will ask my doctor about the possibilities you mentioned.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/14/02 at 20:22 (083923)

Kevin:
Do you have pain i nthe back of the calf on compression. It sounds like your describing a venous blood clot. Your doctor ordered the right doppler test.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

wendyn on 5/14/02 at 22:45 (083966)

Kevin - I'm glad you called the doctor and they ruled out a clot. What does your doctor think it is?

Are you holding your leg in a funny position that could be aggravating it?

Kevin I on 5/15/02 at 17:57 (084064)

Doctor Coz that's exactly where the pain is. This will be the 4th day now w/out any let up. Doctor told me I could keep the splint off so I've been trying to stretch it out (lightly) while sitting. The technician doing the doppler started at my groin and went completely down my leg. He would gently push and release the vein with his finger when he did that on my calf I almost came off the table. He told me everything looked good, but that chief radiologist would review results w/ my doctor. Doctor called later to assure me I didn't have a clot. It's weird in the sense that my left calf (surgery left foot) is as big and muscular as my right which has been doing double duty for over 2 weeks. I just wonder if the pain is my body's way of keeping that calf muscle from atrophy (just my thought, doctors can laugh). Good news heel and ankle feel fine, appears to be healing good.

Kevin I on 5/15/02 at 18:08 (084067)

Wendy, he really doesn't know - at least he's being honest w/ me. I guess when I'm on crutches which isn't a whole lot I hold it 'funny'. I would think my quad muscle and thigh in the upper leg is bearing most of that weight though. I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about this which has me somewhat puzzled, and ruling out the clot is the big relief.

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 18:51 (084077)

Hi

I would try heat compresses twenty three or four time daily. It is possible that the cuff used to stop blood to the foot during the surgery aggrevated the one of the tendons. In addition there are tendon in the tarsal tunnel such as the FDL , PT. They can check these tendons with an ultrsound to see if they are injured or imflamed.

Kevin I on 5/16/02 at 15:43 (084179)

Dr. Z - Thanks for advice. My calf is finally starting to loosen up and feel better. I hope to stay on this track. If it comes back I will ask my doctor about the possibilities you mentioned.