Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TT Release & Injections to Reduce Formation of Scar Tissue

Posted by Mike S. on 5/14/02 at 21:25 (083934)

I am curious as to how many people were treated with injections to counter scar tissue formation as part of a standard protocol. I have been offered 'Kenalog' by a podiatrist who apparently thinks highly of this drug & practice to counter scar tissue formation. I don't think my HMO doctor will offer it if he does not think it is necessary just because of economics & probably Kenalog is not in their formulary (expensive drug). Could it do more harm than good if one has 'usual' scarring.

I would like to know what others received as part of their post-op care.

Re: TT Release & Injections to Reduce Formation of Scar Tissue

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/02 at 21:39 (083940)

Kenalog is not an expensive drug (although some HMOs will hassle over anything). Generic versions of Kenalog exist. It is very effective in combatting scar tissue formation and can, at times, make the difference between success and failure after TT release surgery.
Ed

cindyp on 5/15/02 at 09:49 (084006)

Never had any kind of treatment for scar tissue.

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 17:24 (084060)

I think I had some injections of sorts I seem to think it was a celestone and xylocaine . It was to help with the scar tissue I believe I may not be right tho I was reading my records he sent to me. He said I had recurrant tibial neuritis/pt tensovitis and possible scar tissue . But you know it is difficult to read what they write lol. But in any case I had a few of those injections after both surgeries.

I thought walking a bit is what was to keep the scar tissue from occuring?But within reason.I am interested in the thoughts about it also. It will not change anything for me as I am my worse enemy. But I was told to begin bearing a portion of weight immediatly, progressing up to full weight bearing in aprox two weeks. I have noticed this varys a great deal on different Dr.s treatments post op.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/15/02 at 22:13 (084100)

One would only get treatment for scar tissue if excess scar tissue was forming.
Ed

Missy B on 5/16/02 at 22:38 (084243)

I was not treated with any drugs to help inhibit scar tissue formation, but about a month post TTS surgery, my pod noticed that my scar was beginning to thicken, so he gave me a strip of silicone to wear over my incision at all times except when bathing. I taped the stip over my incision with a paper tape like that which is used in hospitals and wore it for over a month and today (approx. 16 weeks post surgery) my scar is almost completely smooth with just a small amount of thickening in two spots. Has anyone else ever heard of this treatment to inhibit scar tissue formation?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/02 at 21:39 (083940)

Kenalog is not an expensive drug (although some HMOs will hassle over anything). Generic versions of Kenalog exist. It is very effective in combatting scar tissue formation and can, at times, make the difference between success and failure after TT release surgery.
Ed

cindyp on 5/15/02 at 09:49 (084006)

Never had any kind of treatment for scar tissue.

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 17:24 (084060)

I think I had some injections of sorts I seem to think it was a celestone and xylocaine . It was to help with the scar tissue I believe I may not be right tho I was reading my records he sent to me. He said I had recurrant tibial neuritis/pt tensovitis and possible scar tissue . But you know it is difficult to read what they write lol. But in any case I had a few of those injections after both surgeries.

I thought walking a bit is what was to keep the scar tissue from occuring?But within reason.I am interested in the thoughts about it also. It will not change anything for me as I am my worse enemy. But I was told to begin bearing a portion of weight immediatly, progressing up to full weight bearing in aprox two weeks. I have noticed this varys a great deal on different Dr.s treatments post op.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/15/02 at 22:13 (084100)

One would only get treatment for scar tissue if excess scar tissue was forming.
Ed

Missy B on 5/16/02 at 22:38 (084243)

I was not treated with any drugs to help inhibit scar tissue formation, but about a month post TTS surgery, my pod noticed that my scar was beginning to thicken, so he gave me a strip of silicone to wear over my incision at all times except when bathing. I taped the stip over my incision with a paper tape like that which is used in hospitals and wore it for over a month and today (approx. 16 weeks post surgery) my scar is almost completely smooth with just a small amount of thickening in two spots. Has anyone else ever heard of this treatment to inhibit scar tissue formation?