Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post Surgery Complications - Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Jackie on 5/15/02 at 06:18 (083987)

I recently had this surgery and my doctor placed me in an ace wrap and a blue walking shoe after surgery. He told me take off on it and not worry about a thing. Well, the surgery site started feeling better and the heel pain deminished, however, approximately one to two weeks after my surgery, the top of my foot had numbness and tingling in it. He told me to give up the walking shoe and just be 'normal'. The pain got worse with each day and each step. The pain was to the point that I looked at my partner with tears in my eyes and said I felt like I was walking on a broken foot. My doctor put me in an air cast and it felt better for a little while but progressively worsened. My doctor finally had me go in for an X-ray and it was indeed broken. He then sent me for a regular cast and two weeks bedrest. Two weeks later today, I am still in pain where the break is in my foot. I have an intense burning that runs up the outside of my foot (cuboid bone is broken) and it radiates into my ankle. My doctor initially told me that I would be in an air cast after surgery but changed it the last minute. Had I been in an aircast during the healing process, my foot would not be broken today and I would not be in the pain I am in.

What was everyone else sent home with after the surgery? Keep in mind that I had one incision about an inch in length. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks

Jackie

Re: Post Surgery Complications - Plantar Fasciitis

Rick R on 5/15/02 at 07:01 (083989)

Jackie,

I was sent home with crutches and instructions to not put any pressure on the foot until one month post op. After the month, I walked in normal shoes darned near pain free. I had a PF relief and a spur removed. The incision (just about 2 in) is on the side to avoid scar tissue on the load bearing surface. Do you think you could have had a fracture prior to surgery?

Rick

Vanessa G on 5/15/02 at 12:48 (084033)

I had this same foot surgery about 14 months ago. I was told to stay in bed for the week end and then to keep the bandage on until I saw the doctor again which was about 5 days. At this appointment the doctor told me to use my judgement in walking. I took it easy for about two weeks but from the beginning I knew something was wrong because it felt like I was walking on an egg. It is 14 months later and after much physical therepy I still feel like I am walking on an egg and have a lot of pain. Oh I also had the blue shoe...

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 15:06 (084042)

Complete Non-weighting is not necessary in every case. Did you injury the foot. It is possible you have a rare stress fracture in the cuboid bone before the heel spur surgery. I have never seen this post-op complication from heel spur surgery but it is possible

Pauline on 5/15/02 at 16:07 (084049)

Jackie,
I'm sorry to hear about your surgery complications. One can only imagine what went through your mind when you went in for one simple surgery and came out with the same problem and additional injuries.

My advice if you haven't already done so, would be to go for a second opinion to see if you can sort out what happened.

All too many times I've read of surgical complications on this site and wish that anyone who is considering surgery follow the surgical postings
for a good length of time prior to having it done. It might change their mind for them or at the very least have them do more homework in selecting a physician.

I recently read an article by a Podiatrist asking what to do about 'Bad Doctors'. His complaint was that many Podiatrist will not turn down a surgery they have no experience with and simply refer the patient to someone with more experience. Apparently it's become a big problem for the doctors who do good work because everyone gets a bad name. He went on to say that because of the numbers of Podiatric Graduates many do not get residencies and he feels this is an important part of the puzzle that is missing causing the problem.

The pain of Plantar Fasciitis is bad enough, add the pain of surgery hoping for a solution, and ending up with a broken foot is a patient's nightmare. I hope you will soon find resolve to your problems and perhaps a new physician can help you. Good luck.

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 17:24 (084061)

Hi

Ths solution at this point and time is a non-weighting cast. Get an mri or ultrasound before the casting. Good luck and we are hear to help and guild you. There is some good news in that your pf/heel was feeling good which means the pf released worked.!!!

Rick R on 5/15/02 at 07:01 (083989)

Jackie,

I was sent home with crutches and instructions to not put any pressure on the foot until one month post op. After the month, I walked in normal shoes darned near pain free. I had a PF relief and a spur removed. The incision (just about 2 in) is on the side to avoid scar tissue on the load bearing surface. Do you think you could have had a fracture prior to surgery?

Rick

Vanessa G on 5/15/02 at 12:48 (084033)

I had this same foot surgery about 14 months ago. I was told to stay in bed for the week end and then to keep the bandage on until I saw the doctor again which was about 5 days. At this appointment the doctor told me to use my judgement in walking. I took it easy for about two weeks but from the beginning I knew something was wrong because it felt like I was walking on an egg. It is 14 months later and after much physical therepy I still feel like I am walking on an egg and have a lot of pain. Oh I also had the blue shoe...

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 15:06 (084042)

Complete Non-weighting is not necessary in every case. Did you injury the foot. It is possible you have a rare stress fracture in the cuboid bone before the heel spur surgery. I have never seen this post-op complication from heel spur surgery but it is possible

Pauline on 5/15/02 at 16:07 (084049)

Jackie,
I'm sorry to hear about your surgery complications. One can only imagine what went through your mind when you went in for one simple surgery and came out with the same problem and additional injuries.

My advice if you haven't already done so, would be to go for a second opinion to see if you can sort out what happened.

All too many times I've read of surgical complications on this site and wish that anyone who is considering surgery follow the surgical postings
for a good length of time prior to having it done. It might change their mind for them or at the very least have them do more homework in selecting a physician.

I recently read an article by a Podiatrist asking what to do about 'Bad Doctors'. His complaint was that many Podiatrist will not turn down a surgery they have no experience with and simply refer the patient to someone with more experience. Apparently it's become a big problem for the doctors who do good work because everyone gets a bad name. He went on to say that because of the numbers of Podiatric Graduates many do not get residencies and he feels this is an important part of the puzzle that is missing causing the problem.

The pain of Plantar Fasciitis is bad enough, add the pain of surgery hoping for a solution, and ending up with a broken foot is a patient's nightmare. I hope you will soon find resolve to your problems and perhaps a new physician can help you. Good luck.

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 17:24 (084061)

Hi

Ths solution at this point and time is a non-weighting cast. Get an mri or ultrasound before the casting. Good luck and we are hear to help and guild you. There is some good news in that your pf/heel was feeling good which means the pf released worked.!!!