Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carmen

Posted by Tammie on 5/15/02 at 17:00 (084057)

Heh , I am thinking about you and eager to hear how it went! I am hoping that all is well and things work out great for you! Heres to you , praying for you!

Re: ESWT experience

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 07:43 (084118)

Thanks Tammie!!!! I appreciate you thinking of me...that was very nice to see my name here first thing this morning.
I will post my experience here.
I went in at 9:30....they were running an hour behind so I didn't get in until 11:00.
They did my history I went to the room and got the IV (ick I hate those) and the doc had come in a couple times...went over things....he and a couple more docs and the Dornier Rep (Yes it was Ellen Ray) talked about my foot...he found my main pain spot and marked it with a marker.
The next thing I know...the nurse said 'You'll fall asleep like you're watching TV'......
and I was gone.
I woke up and was wheeled into the recovery room..not having felt a thing. No hsot, no treatment or anything.
The WORST part? Walking around on a 'dead' foot. I absolutely hated walking on that foot while it was asleep ALL day.
I woke up at 3 something in the morning and it was finally normal. It is a little tender today.....but the same as it was the day before.
I understand the patience of 12 weeks plus...so I am not worried about the pain still being there.
These things take time. The doc was very nice and the staff did a wonderful job. I wasn't at all nervous about it but I could see if someone was...they'd make you feel 100% at ease.
They gave me a rose and a card for a speedy recovery and off I went!

So all in all..it was fine. The only thing Iw as worried about before was feeling worse AFTER than I did before.
It's only the next morning but so far...I feel fine.
I will ice more today than normal...since I have a huge week planeed next week.
If anyone has any questions please ask!

Sharon W on 5/16/02 at 08:36 (084125)

Carmen,

The way you describe it, ESWT almost sounds like a relaxing, PLEASANT experience! I don't think I'd like the feeling of walking around on a 'dead' foot, though. After I had that foot block I was incredibly CLUMSY (more than usual!)

The rose and the card WERE a nice touch.

-- Sharon

monte on 5/16/02 at 08:56 (084128)

carmen...glad it went well. I wrote to you at home already, but wanted to tell you not to over ice your foot. Dr Z recommends HEAT to encourae circulation. He said only ice if you have bad stabbing pains. He just wrote to me this morning and ended it with HEAT, HEAT, HEAT. Ask him about that.

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 09:10 (084129)

Good thing I read this!!!
Thank you! I am taking a warm bath tonight...that should help.

Re: Great Carmen

Tammie on 5/16/02 at 09:45 (084134)

How wonderful!!!! I am really glad it went so well and not to much pain! I am a real wimp lately , and darn it it feels as tho I can feel everyones pain like it is my own ! Ha I think I am a nut case soon to be comitted! In any way I am so very relieved that you did not have to suffer to much and that tho I hate the iv also as I had one sunday, it is great to recieve quick acting medications in it that help with relaxing as well as dulling any pain!

The rose was so thoughtful! How nice , do they also include a paper telling you what was done and what to expect as the normal and the things to worry about? I am just curious as I think that would be a great addition to treatments, as when you are there your nerves are shot and not always thinking with a clear head it is when you arrive home and things start happening that the doubts begin!

Ok Carmen now take good care and give this the best shot you can and think each day will be a new step, with the end results you having pain free days to start your new life with your move and such! I am praying for you!

Julie on 5/16/02 at 09:56 (084136)

Carmen, I'm glad to hear it went so well. Happy recovery! Hope you sail on to painlessness very soon.

Necee on 5/16/02 at 11:10 (084148)

All the best to you for a quick recovery.
Hope this takes care of your foot pain forever!
Happy trails to you...
Necee

JudyS on 5/16/02 at 11:12 (084149)

Thanks, Carmen, for sharing with us - I, too, was wondering how it went.
I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent for you to take it easy for a couple of days? I'm not sure how the post-ESWT thing goes with a high-power treatment.
I had that 'dead foot' thing too when I went to Dr. Z - in both feet! I couldn't walk a single step. Lucky for me my partners in crime, TexBarb and John h, were there to hold me up! It took about four hours to wear off.

dave on 5/16/02 at 13:26 (084166)

I found that after i had eswt done that my pain level went up for a couple of weeks, about 20%. i wanted to ice so badly but i didnt. I used heat every other night no matter what. If i used heat to often it seemed that the swelling actually went up. That routine lasted 6 weeks. Its been seven weeks now. and i am feeling some improvement. I still have a few weeks to go before the full 12 weeks is up.
Anyhow, the heat seemed to help actually. Good luck Carmen

john h on 5/16/02 at 16:30 (084190)

Carmen: Both Barb and Judy are sort of sissy girls. You should do just fine.

john h on 5/16/02 at 16:35 (084191)

Sharon: On two of my ESWT trips I walked out of Dr. Z's office and drove to Baltimore and walked through the Baltimore/Washington aiports and then the St Louis Airport and then the Little Rock Airport. The ESWT did not bother my feet at all and both times I did not have any ankle block, I am no hero. It just did not bother me. Dr. Z had the power between 16 and 18 and did both feet. I guess we all just have different experiences with ESWT. I also think that if we expect something to hurt it will in fact hurt. Something like the placebo effect.

john h on 5/16/02 at 16:38 (084192)

Ice or heat? I really do not know but Dr. Z I think says heat after treatment. I would guess your Doctor gave you instructions after treatment. What were they? Now- Go get well!

Suzanne D on 5/16/02 at 16:50 (084197)

I, too, add my good wishes to the list and hope that this is the beginning of healing and lessening of your pain!

I'll bet you're thinking up all kinds of fun things to do with your little neices next week. That is next week, isn't it? I'm sure they're looking forward to being with their Aunt Carmen!

Take it easy!
Suzanne :-)

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 17:04 (084199)

Hey, I was there, too! Just because I didn't get zapped... *pout*

Seriously, though, Carmen, I'm glad you went through with it and that it went so well for you thus far. Let us know how you're doing as the weeks pass!

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 17:31 (084205)

Yes Suzanne...they come tomorrow! i am so excited I can hardly stand being around MYSELF!
I called yesterday and said 'two more days!!!' and I hear my niece in the background (my sis had me on speakerphone) Auuunnntttieee Caaahhhhmeeennnn's hoouuussseee!!!!'
You know how 3 year olds draw everything out. My sis told me today she asked every day this week...'Is it Friday yet?'
Sigh...I am going to kiss those cheeks to death.
thanks for remembering...:o)

BrianG on 5/16/02 at 17:51 (084211)

Hi Carmen,

Glad everything went so smoothly. I can see why they may want to knock you out, the pain is real, and it is big!! But when it's over, your not left with the same bad pain. I have used heat 3-4 times every day, since my treatment 4.5 weeks ago. I did ice one night, when I felt I had been on my feet too much. I use a CVS brand reusable hot pack, 4'x10'. Two minutes in the microwave, and I've got at least 20 minutes of good heat, after which I do some foot stretching, by hand. You may feel some insertional pain from where the Dornier touched your foot, but mine is just about gone. I've only felt it a couple times a day, when I stretched awkwardly. Glad to hear that Ellen Ray was there, you were in good hands. Good luck, we'll all be healing soon :*)

BrianG

PS I assume that you had the FDA approved protocol, since they knocked you out. Did they say anything about a second treatment, if this one didn't work?

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 18:37 (084215)

No nothing abouta second treatment. But the docs fees were 80% covered by my PPO...so $300 was a good deal to me....
Heat...hmmm..what about a warm h20 bucket?

Suzanne D on 5/16/02 at 20:35 (084226)

You all will have such a special time! Make sure and stock up on some children's books from the library to read to them. They'll associate reading with pleasant times and it will give your feet some rest, too!

Re: John: ESWT experience

Sharon W on 5/16/02 at 23:31 (084245)

Since I haven't had ESWT, I don't know how I would react. The nerve block I had was mostly for diagnostic purposes, and partly for short-term pain control. Of course, if AEtna ever decides to cover it, I will probably give ESWT a try! I'm not hypersensitive to pain, so perhaps I wouldn't need a nerve block for it.

-- Sharon

Julie on 5/17/02 at 01:01 (084252)

Carmen, do you ice with a gel pack? Most gel packs can be used as heat packs as well as ice packs. I've never done it, but I think you just immerse them in very hot water for awhile. If you have one, directions should be printed on it.

Rich on 5/17/02 at 08:15 (084277)

Sounds like you had a great experience. Never had a doc's office give me roses! Of course, if I had to pay full price out-of-pocket for this, I would want at least a dozen!! LOL

I will be praying for visible results, very soon! I know you want to run and play with your nieces. My youngest is tuning four in August and wants to stay home today and take care of Mommy! I'm in for it now! We've already served breakfast on her tea tray....LOL

Happy Healing,
Richelle

Janet C on 5/17/02 at 16:46 (084358)

Hi Carmen,

I'm glad to hear that the ESWT treatment went well for you - thanks for sharing your experience with us!

And I'm also glad to hear that you may have figured out that one of your problems is Myofascial Pain Syndrome! It sure is a relief to have a name for the never-ending pain, isn't it? Plus, once you have a proper diagnosis, then the correct treatment can bring you the relief that you deserve!

I wish you a very speedy recovery, and have a great time with your nieces and nephews!

Wishing you all the best, always ~ Janet

Carmen on 5/18/02 at 20:10 (084509)

thanks!!!!!! :o)
Your kind words are so nice to read!

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 07:43 (084118)

Thanks Tammie!!!! I appreciate you thinking of me...that was very nice to see my name here first thing this morning.
I will post my experience here.
I went in at 9:30....they were running an hour behind so I didn't get in until 11:00.
They did my history I went to the room and got the IV (ick I hate those) and the doc had come in a couple times...went over things....he and a couple more docs and the Dornier Rep (Yes it was Ellen Ray) talked about my foot...he found my main pain spot and marked it with a marker.
The next thing I know...the nurse said 'You'll fall asleep like you're watching TV'......
and I was gone.
I woke up and was wheeled into the recovery room..not having felt a thing. No hsot, no treatment or anything.
The WORST part? Walking around on a 'dead' foot. I absolutely hated walking on that foot while it was asleep ALL day.
I woke up at 3 something in the morning and it was finally normal. It is a little tender today.....but the same as it was the day before.
I understand the patience of 12 weeks plus...so I am not worried about the pain still being there.
These things take time. The doc was very nice and the staff did a wonderful job. I wasn't at all nervous about it but I could see if someone was...they'd make you feel 100% at ease.
They gave me a rose and a card for a speedy recovery and off I went!

So all in all..it was fine. The only thing Iw as worried about before was feeling worse AFTER than I did before.
It's only the next morning but so far...I feel fine.
I will ice more today than normal...since I have a huge week planeed next week.
If anyone has any questions please ask!

Sharon W on 5/16/02 at 08:36 (084125)

Carmen,

The way you describe it, ESWT almost sounds like a relaxing, PLEASANT experience! I don't think I'd like the feeling of walking around on a 'dead' foot, though. After I had that foot block I was incredibly CLUMSY (more than usual!)

The rose and the card WERE a nice touch.

-- Sharon

monte on 5/16/02 at 08:56 (084128)

carmen...glad it went well. I wrote to you at home already, but wanted to tell you not to over ice your foot. Dr Z recommends HEAT to encourae circulation. He said only ice if you have bad stabbing pains. He just wrote to me this morning and ended it with HEAT, HEAT, HEAT. Ask him about that.

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 09:10 (084129)

Good thing I read this!!!
Thank you! I am taking a warm bath tonight...that should help.

Re: Great Carmen

Tammie on 5/16/02 at 09:45 (084134)

How wonderful!!!! I am really glad it went so well and not to much pain! I am a real wimp lately , and darn it it feels as tho I can feel everyones pain like it is my own ! Ha I think I am a nut case soon to be comitted! In any way I am so very relieved that you did not have to suffer to much and that tho I hate the iv also as I had one sunday, it is great to recieve quick acting medications in it that help with relaxing as well as dulling any pain!

The rose was so thoughtful! How nice , do they also include a paper telling you what was done and what to expect as the normal and the things to worry about? I am just curious as I think that would be a great addition to treatments, as when you are there your nerves are shot and not always thinking with a clear head it is when you arrive home and things start happening that the doubts begin!

Ok Carmen now take good care and give this the best shot you can and think each day will be a new step, with the end results you having pain free days to start your new life with your move and such! I am praying for you!

Julie on 5/16/02 at 09:56 (084136)

Carmen, I'm glad to hear it went so well. Happy recovery! Hope you sail on to painlessness very soon.

Necee on 5/16/02 at 11:10 (084148)

All the best to you for a quick recovery.
Hope this takes care of your foot pain forever!
Happy trails to you...
Necee

JudyS on 5/16/02 at 11:12 (084149)

Thanks, Carmen, for sharing with us - I, too, was wondering how it went.
I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent for you to take it easy for a couple of days? I'm not sure how the post-ESWT thing goes with a high-power treatment.
I had that 'dead foot' thing too when I went to Dr. Z - in both feet! I couldn't walk a single step. Lucky for me my partners in crime, TexBarb and John h, were there to hold me up! It took about four hours to wear off.

dave on 5/16/02 at 13:26 (084166)

I found that after i had eswt done that my pain level went up for a couple of weeks, about 20%. i wanted to ice so badly but i didnt. I used heat every other night no matter what. If i used heat to often it seemed that the swelling actually went up. That routine lasted 6 weeks. Its been seven weeks now. and i am feeling some improvement. I still have a few weeks to go before the full 12 weeks is up.
Anyhow, the heat seemed to help actually. Good luck Carmen

john h on 5/16/02 at 16:30 (084190)

Carmen: Both Barb and Judy are sort of sissy girls. You should do just fine.

john h on 5/16/02 at 16:35 (084191)

Sharon: On two of my ESWT trips I walked out of Dr. Z's office and drove to Baltimore and walked through the Baltimore/Washington aiports and then the St Louis Airport and then the Little Rock Airport. The ESWT did not bother my feet at all and both times I did not have any ankle block, I am no hero. It just did not bother me. Dr. Z had the power between 16 and 18 and did both feet. I guess we all just have different experiences with ESWT. I also think that if we expect something to hurt it will in fact hurt. Something like the placebo effect.

john h on 5/16/02 at 16:38 (084192)

Ice or heat? I really do not know but Dr. Z I think says heat after treatment. I would guess your Doctor gave you instructions after treatment. What were they? Now- Go get well!

Suzanne D on 5/16/02 at 16:50 (084197)

I, too, add my good wishes to the list and hope that this is the beginning of healing and lessening of your pain!

I'll bet you're thinking up all kinds of fun things to do with your little neices next week. That is next week, isn't it? I'm sure they're looking forward to being with their Aunt Carmen!

Take it easy!

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 17:04 (084199)

Hey, I was there, too! Just because I didn't get zapped... *pout*

Seriously, though, Carmen, I'm glad you went through with it and that it went so well for you thus far. Let us know how you're doing as the weeks pass!

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 17:31 (084205)

Yes Suzanne...they come tomorrow! i am so excited I can hardly stand being around MYSELF!
I called yesterday and said 'two more days!!!' and I hear my niece in the background (my sis had me on speakerphone) Auuunnntttieee Caaahhhhmeeennnn's hoouuussseee!!!!'
You know how 3 year olds draw everything out. My sis told me today she asked every day this week...'Is it Friday yet?'
Sigh...I am going to kiss those cheeks to death.
thanks for remembering...:o)

BrianG on 5/16/02 at 17:51 (084211)

Hi Carmen,

Glad everything went so smoothly. I can see why they may want to knock you out, the pain is real, and it is big!! But when it's over, your not left with the same bad pain. I have used heat 3-4 times every day, since my treatment 4.5 weeks ago. I did ice one night, when I felt I had been on my feet too much. I use a CVS brand reusable hot pack, 4'x10'. Two minutes in the microwave, and I've got at least 20 minutes of good heat, after which I do some foot stretching, by hand. You may feel some insertional pain from where the Dornier touched your foot, but mine is just about gone. I've only felt it a couple times a day, when I stretched awkwardly. Glad to hear that Ellen Ray was there, you were in good hands. Good luck, we'll all be healing soon :*)

BrianG

PS I assume that you had the FDA approved protocol, since they knocked you out. Did they say anything about a second treatment, if this one didn't work?

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 18:37 (084215)

No nothing abouta second treatment. But the docs fees were 80% covered by my PPO...so $300 was a good deal to me....
Heat...hmmm..what about a warm h20 bucket?

Suzanne D on 5/16/02 at 20:35 (084226)

You all will have such a special time! Make sure and stock up on some children's books from the library to read to them. They'll associate reading with pleasant times and it will give your feet some rest, too!

Re: John: ESWT experience

Sharon W on 5/16/02 at 23:31 (084245)

Since I haven't had ESWT, I don't know how I would react. The nerve block I had was mostly for diagnostic purposes, and partly for short-term pain control. Of course, if AEtna ever decides to cover it, I will probably give ESWT a try! I'm not hypersensitive to pain, so perhaps I wouldn't need a nerve block for it.

-- Sharon

Julie on 5/17/02 at 01:01 (084252)

Carmen, do you ice with a gel pack? Most gel packs can be used as heat packs as well as ice packs. I've never done it, but I think you just immerse them in very hot water for awhile. If you have one, directions should be printed on it.

Rich on 5/17/02 at 08:15 (084277)

Sounds like you had a great experience. Never had a doc's office give me roses! Of course, if I had to pay full price out-of-pocket for this, I would want at least a dozen!! LOL

I will be praying for visible results, very soon! I know you want to run and play with your nieces. My youngest is tuning four in August and wants to stay home today and take care of Mommy! I'm in for it now! We've already served breakfast on her tea tray....LOL

Happy Healing,
Richelle

Janet C on 5/17/02 at 16:46 (084358)

Hi Carmen,

I'm glad to hear that the ESWT treatment went well for you - thanks for sharing your experience with us!

And I'm also glad to hear that you may have figured out that one of your problems is Myofascial Pain Syndrome! It sure is a relief to have a name for the never-ending pain, isn't it? Plus, once you have a proper diagnosis, then the correct treatment can bring you the relief that you deserve!

I wish you a very speedy recovery, and have a great time with your nieces and nephews!

Wishing you all the best, always ~ Janet

Carmen on 5/18/02 at 20:10 (084509)

thanks!!!!!! :o)
Your kind words are so nice to read!