Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole--NB 1121

Posted by Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 05:43 (084114)

Carole--

I'm coming a bit late to this party, but I wanted to let you know that I have the 1121s and I love them. I don't know what size your feet are, but I wear a women's size 10 (approximately, depending on the shoes!) and my CPed fitted me with a pair of men's 1121s. So, if it's an option for you to try the men's shoes, you might want to consider it. I don't think there's a big difference--perhaps the color? But if you can't find the women's, you might as well try it.

For someone who's worn them for a year now, I don't know a whole lot about how they work, except that they have the rollbar, which does help my overpronation. But I love the mesh around the toes that provides some 'air conditioning' and the comfort of the shoes.

Re: Carole--NB 1121

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 12:03 (084155)

Nancy, thanks for your ideas. BUT... no way am I voluntarily going to wear men's shoes ever again! My C.Ped fitted my orthotics to men's SAS shoes, and I do not like to wear them (now that my feet don't hurt as much I can afford to have these sensitivities, LOL Funny how I didn't care a bit when I was in more pain). I haven't worn them since April 10th when I got off the ship.

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post about them, though, and I know you didn't realize that I have a real THING about having to wear men's shoes. Also, I guess there's another reason that's less emotional and more practical, and that is that my heels are too narrow for most men's shoes.

I love my women's New Balance 879's that I am wearing right now, even though they are not perfect. Eventually SOME store has got to start carrying the women's 1121, wouldn't you think? I am so amazed that they don't around here.

Carole C

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 17:07 (084201)

I would think you should be able to find the women's shoes at some point. Interesting that you mind the men's shoes so much--if he hadn't told me, I never would have figured out that mine weren't women's shoes. But then I have fairly big feet, so maybe it doesn't matter as much?

Either way, I hope you find something that works for you :)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 18:40 (084216)

I think the reason why I hate wearing men's shoes, has to do with peoples' stereotypes back in the sixties when I was first in college. Some people used to laugh at women who were successful in the sciences and in engineering, and to insinuate that they were overly masculine and would never have a date. (Luckily, times have changed)

Men's shoes definitely do look different on my foot, and they do not fit my foot shape correctly.

On the ship I didn't mind wearing my men's shoes and orthotics at all, because I wanted to: I needed the protection of the heavier leather shoe and my women's NB was just fabric. There was work to do and that was the right shoe in which to do it. But when I got off the ship, well, by the time I got to the airport I felt like my shoes looked pretty peculiar on me. That's saying a lot, because I was exhausted, swaying when I walked, wearing mismatched wrinkled work clothing and salty and smelled of the sea too, but what really embarrassed me most was my shoes.

I don't know if any of that made the slightest bit of sense!

With any luck I'll find the women's 1121's eventually and I'll be able to try them on.

Carole C

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 21:14 (084229)

Carole--

You make lots of sense. For all the times you've mentioned going out to sea, the footwear never crossed my mind, if you can believe that! You draw such an interesting picture of yourself getting off the ship--I'd have been more worried about the clothes, I think, but then I've had plenty of other chances to be embarrassed about what's on my feet ;)

I hope you find the 1121s--and after all this time, I hope it's worth the wait! :)

Ed DAvis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:40 (084391)

There is not one shoe that is perfect for everyone but the NB 1121's are the shoes I recommend to more patients than any other shoe in my practice.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 12:03 (084155)

Nancy, thanks for your ideas. BUT... no way am I voluntarily going to wear men's shoes ever again! My C.Ped fitted my orthotics to men's SAS shoes, and I do not like to wear them (now that my feet don't hurt as much I can afford to have these sensitivities, LOL Funny how I didn't care a bit when I was in more pain). I haven't worn them since April 10th when I got off the ship.

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post about them, though, and I know you didn't realize that I have a real THING about having to wear men's shoes. Also, I guess there's another reason that's less emotional and more practical, and that is that my heels are too narrow for most men's shoes.

I love my women's New Balance 879's that I am wearing right now, even though they are not perfect. Eventually SOME store has got to start carrying the women's 1121, wouldn't you think? I am so amazed that they don't around here.

Carole C

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 17:07 (084201)

I would think you should be able to find the women's shoes at some point. Interesting that you mind the men's shoes so much--if he hadn't told me, I never would have figured out that mine weren't women's shoes. But then I have fairly big feet, so maybe it doesn't matter as much?

Either way, I hope you find something that works for you :)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 18:40 (084216)

I think the reason why I hate wearing men's shoes, has to do with peoples' stereotypes back in the sixties when I was first in college. Some people used to laugh at women who were successful in the sciences and in engineering, and to insinuate that they were overly masculine and would never have a date. (Luckily, times have changed)

Men's shoes definitely do look different on my foot, and they do not fit my foot shape correctly.

On the ship I didn't mind wearing my men's shoes and orthotics at all, because I wanted to: I needed the protection of the heavier leather shoe and my women's NB was just fabric. There was work to do and that was the right shoe in which to do it. But when I got off the ship, well, by the time I got to the airport I felt like my shoes looked pretty peculiar on me. That's saying a lot, because I was exhausted, swaying when I walked, wearing mismatched wrinkled work clothing and salty and smelled of the sea too, but what really embarrassed me most was my shoes.

I don't know if any of that made the slightest bit of sense!

With any luck I'll find the women's 1121's eventually and I'll be able to try them on.

Carole C

Nancy N on 5/16/02 at 21:14 (084229)

Carole--

You make lots of sense. For all the times you've mentioned going out to sea, the footwear never crossed my mind, if you can believe that! You draw such an interesting picture of yourself getting off the ship--I'd have been more worried about the clothes, I think, but then I've had plenty of other chances to be embarrassed about what's on my feet ;)

I hope you find the 1121s--and after all this time, I hope it's worth the wait! :)

Ed DAvis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:40 (084391)

There is not one shoe that is perfect for everyone but the NB 1121's are the shoes I recommend to more patients than any other shoe in my practice.
Ed