Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for a Doctor

Posted by Carmon S. on 5/16/02 at 07:12 (084117)

I am prone to keloid scars (had PF release on Feb.8, right foot). Do you know if massaging the scar facilitates keloid formation? I have been in for 8 massage treatments so far. It does help but I have noticed that my scar has become hard and a little more on the red - pinkish side. The scar is tacked down to the bone on one end and the massage therapist was trying to help release that. In your opinion is this just normal scar formation for being 3 1/2 months post-op?

Re: Question for a Doctor

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/16/02 at 15:54 (084183)

Massage does not promote keloid formation but can be valuable in preventing the adverse effects of excess scarring. What is your surgeon doing to deal with the scar?
Ed

Carmon S. on 5/16/02 at 17:25 (084204)

My surgeon isn't doing anything about it right now. I saw him at 7 wks. post-op and that was the last time.

Ed DAvis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:42 (084392)

Perhaps your doc does not feel there is sufficient scar tissue build up to cause concern. I have not seen your foot but this is something I watch VERY closely in my post-op patients.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/16/02 at 15:54 (084183)

Massage does not promote keloid formation but can be valuable in preventing the adverse effects of excess scarring. What is your surgeon doing to deal with the scar?
Ed

Carmon S. on 5/16/02 at 17:25 (084204)

My surgeon isn't doing anything about it right now. I saw him at 7 wks. post-op and that was the last time.

Ed DAvis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:42 (084392)

Perhaps your doc does not feel there is sufficient scar tissue build up to cause concern. I have not seen your foot but this is something I watch VERY closely in my post-op patients.
Ed