Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT done on rt foot yesterday

Posted by Carmen on 5/16/02 at 07:43 (084119)

I went in at 9:30....they were running an hour behind so I didn't get in until 11:00.
They did my history I went to the room and got the IV (ick I hate those) and the doc had come in a couple times...went over things....he and a couple more docs and the Dornier Rep (Yes it was Ellen Ray) talked about my foot...he found my main pain spot and marked it with a marker.
The next thing I know...the nurse said 'You'll fall asleep like you're watching TV'......
and I was gone.
I woke up and was wheeled into the recovery room..not having felt a thing. No hsot, no treatment or anything.
The WORST part? Walking around on a 'dead' foot. I absolutely hated walking on that foot while it was asleep ALL day.
I woke up at 3 something in the morning and it was finally normal. It is a little tender today.....but the same as it was the day before.
I understand the patience of 12 weeks plus...so I am not worried about the pain still being there.
These things take time. The doc was very nice and the staff did a wonderful job. I wasn't at all nervous about it but I could see if someone was...they'd make you feel 100% at ease.
They gave me a rose and a card for a speedy recovery and off I went!

So all in all..it was fine. The only thing Iw as worried about before was feeling worse AFTER than I did before.
It's only the next morning but so far...I feel fine.
I will ice more today than normal...since I have a huge week planeed next week.
If anyone has any questions please ask!

Re: Sedation?

Shane on 5/16/02 at 12:26 (084159)

Sedation? That seems a bit over kill. I just had my ESWT w/ DR. Z last week and all I needed was an ankle block, the pain during the procedure was not unbearable - it was more annoying than anything.It was nice because they can adjust the setting to your comfort level. Why aren't all Dornier procedures the same? It seems that they should have a standard protocol. Anyway, I was just curious. Good luck and let's hope we can both get some relief from this procedure, regardless of the way it was performed.

Shane

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 14:53 (084173)

I am not sure...this is the way they set it up. ALL patients had the same treatment.
Maybe the patients comfort level was extremely important being that Dornier is trying to promote their product tp this office? Not sure.
GLAD they did it though....I've had enough annoying pain in my last year.
:o)

Re: ESWT done on rt foot yesterday

Pauline on 5/16/02 at 15:25 (084175)

Carmen,
What I find amazing is that people were being put to sleep, and like you apparently not told ahead of time. To me being put to sleep is a big deal, and I'd want to know about the procedure, what I would be given, who would be providing it, and what emergency equipment was present should I have a reaction.

It doesn't sound like any of this information was provided to you, but I bet you got a release form to sign. I'm glad you had a chance for an inexpensive treatment and I hope it works, but because people can have serious reactions to various drugs I think you and the others had a right to know that anesthesia would be used well in advance of your treatment.

Good luck and a speedy cure.

Sharon W on 5/16/02 at 16:27 (084189)

Carmen,

I bet your 'sedation' was actually a hypnotic tranquillizer called 'Versed'. It allows you to interact with your doctor during a procedure and then completely forget about the whole thing afterwards. Very cool.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 17:40 (084208)

no...actually I was gone completely. Wasn't able to communicate at all.
That sounds cool though!!!

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 17:43 (084209)

I was told it would be twilight sleep.
and called the night before too...

DR Zuckerman on 5/16/02 at 17:50 (084210)

I use this mixture all the time at the surgical center for foot surgery.
Most patients are asleep or are somewhat awake but don't remember anything
at all.

wendyn on 5/16/02 at 20:22 (084224)

During a procedure I had a mix of valium and fentenyl (sp?) I don't remember a thing.

john h on 5/17/02 at 09:04 (084285)

I am with you on being put to sleep Pauline. It is much more of a big deal than the ESWT. I am still confounded as to why they do this when an ankle block would suffice.

john h on 5/17/02 at 09:05 (084286)

Dr. Z is your mixture called a 'double martini'? sure sounds like the same effects.

Pauline on 5/17/02 at 13:16 (084311)

Carmen,
Did you receive your ESWT treatment at a Surgical Center or the doctors office?

Carmen on 5/17/02 at 13:46 (084319)

My opinion on the put to sleep part is because everyone's pain threshold is different...this being a free trial by Dornier they probably wanted to make absolutely sure it was not an unpleasant experience in any way.
That's just my opnion.
It was fine though. either way.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 13:56 (084324)

Glad it over and you are moving in a postive direction which will be pain free.!! AS far as IV sedation. This is just one method of knocking you out for the procedure. This can only be done in a surgical center. There are some dornier groups setting up shop at the ASC and some in a mobile unit or office setting like me. The choice is going to be different for each and every group.

Re: To John

Pauline on 5/17/02 at 14:08 (084329)

John,
I think you and I agree putting someone to sleep should be left in the hands of a qualified anesthesiologist. When my children had their wisdom teeth pulled the Oral Surgeon's office had an anesthesiologist on staff to administer the anesthetic. Many Oral Surgeon offices have this choice available.

I felt more comfortable having an anesthesiologist monitoring them during the surgery. I think it's a good option to have.

Carmen on 5/17/02 at 15:10 (084339)

I think anyone would agree it should be a qualified anes.
My nurse was an anesthesiologist from the hospital across the street. I am pretty sure it's illegal to have anyone else do it...We were in a surgery center for foot and leg.

Re: An foot block is not a pain free guarantee

BrianG on 5/17/02 at 17:00 (084361)

Good thinking Carmen. The alternative is to have an ankle block, which may not work. This is what happened to me. Was Ellen Ray still talking about the poor guy at Dr Z's that took it like a man, no lidocaine on the right foot :*) John, I fully expect you to do the same. Get one foor numbed, and take the other Lidocaine free. If I can do it, it should be no problem for a manly man like yourself!! :*)

BrianG

Monte on 5/17/02 at 18:18 (084368)

brian...i seem to be having a problem with my left foot. When I got the ankle block, i felt the doctor hit the nerve in the ankle and it shot down to my toes. He said that is what he was looking for. But since then, my left foot has a pulling sensation underneath it and the nerve shoots to my big toe. I sounds like tarsal tunnel, but I never had this until i got this shot. Dr Z put me on Motrin for 10 days and said it will go away. Does this sound weird? It is painful and totally different from what my PF. I cannot even bend over at the waist because it affects the bottom of my foot.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 18:26 (084370)

Brian,

Do you remember if your pain was more on the outside of the foot during the treatment?

Re: It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow!

BrianG on 5/19/02 at 17:03 (084595)

Dr. Z, I wouldn't say the pain was just on the outside. I could feel the shocks all the way through my foot. To me, it felt like there was no Lidocaine. Why it didn't work in that foot, I don't thnk we'll ever know. The other foot was entirely numb, the Lidocaine worked perfectly.

Monte, I hope you doing better today. I didn't have any long term reactions from the Lidocaine injections. Just an occasional twinge at the insertion point of the Dornier. Even that is mostly gone now, for the past few days I've hardly even felt it. I think I'm almost back to where I was before the treatment. The damage from the shock waves seems to be about healed, now it's time for the PF to begin to heal!!!

BrianG

john h on 5/20/02 at 10:32 (084670)

Having not had any experience with the Dornier what I think I would do is have the treatment with no shots. If the pain became to much I would then ask the Doctor to administer shots.

dave on 5/20/02 at 10:56 (084671)

I wouldnt unless your spiderman or some kinda super hero

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:33 (084728)

No form of anethesia is complication free but I would tend to favor IV sedation that we are using with the Ossatron. It does add a bit more to the cost.

Low energy units such as the Siemens Sonocur require no anesthesia at all.
Ed

Re: Why interrupt treatment if foot block is recommended?

Pauline on 5/21/02 at 10:14 (084759)

John,
Why start and stop a treatment and how do you know an interruption of treatment wouldn't change the outcome. If a foot block is recommended I think that's the way to go.

I'm not sure they know the exact process that is taking place within the tissues that causes a healing action to occur. Why add another variable to the treatment?

Shane on 5/16/02 at 12:26 (084159)

Sedation? That seems a bit over kill. I just had my ESWT w/ DR. Z last week and all I needed was an ankle block, the pain during the procedure was not unbearable - it was more annoying than anything.It was nice because they can adjust the setting to your comfort level. Why aren't all Dornier procedures the same? It seems that they should have a standard protocol. Anyway, I was just curious. Good luck and let's hope we can both get some relief from this procedure, regardless of the way it was performed.

Shane

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 14:53 (084173)

I am not sure...this is the way they set it up. ALL patients had the same treatment.
Maybe the patients comfort level was extremely important being that Dornier is trying to promote their product tp this office? Not sure.
GLAD they did it though....I've had enough annoying pain in my last year.
:o)

Pauline on 5/16/02 at 15:25 (084175)

Carmen,
What I find amazing is that people were being put to sleep, and like you apparently not told ahead of time. To me being put to sleep is a big deal, and I'd want to know about the procedure, what I would be given, who would be providing it, and what emergency equipment was present should I have a reaction.

It doesn't sound like any of this information was provided to you, but I bet you got a release form to sign. I'm glad you had a chance for an inexpensive treatment and I hope it works, but because people can have serious reactions to various drugs I think you and the others had a right to know that anesthesia would be used well in advance of your treatment.

Good luck and a speedy cure.

Sharon W on 5/16/02 at 16:27 (084189)

Carmen,

I bet your 'sedation' was actually a hypnotic tranquillizer called 'Versed'. It allows you to interact with your doctor during a procedure and then completely forget about the whole thing afterwards. Very cool.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 17:40 (084208)

no...actually I was gone completely. Wasn't able to communicate at all.
That sounds cool though!!!

Carmen on 5/16/02 at 17:43 (084209)

I was told it would be twilight sleep.
and called the night before too...

DR Zuckerman on 5/16/02 at 17:50 (084210)

I use this mixture all the time at the surgical center for foot surgery.
Most patients are asleep or are somewhat awake but don't remember anything
at all.

wendyn on 5/16/02 at 20:22 (084224)

During a procedure I had a mix of valium and fentenyl (sp?) I don't remember a thing.

john h on 5/17/02 at 09:04 (084285)

I am with you on being put to sleep Pauline. It is much more of a big deal than the ESWT. I am still confounded as to why they do this when an ankle block would suffice.

john h on 5/17/02 at 09:05 (084286)

Dr. Z is your mixture called a 'double martini'? sure sounds like the same effects.

Pauline on 5/17/02 at 13:16 (084311)

Carmen,
Did you receive your ESWT treatment at a Surgical Center or the doctors office?

Carmen on 5/17/02 at 13:46 (084319)

My opinion on the put to sleep part is because everyone's pain threshold is different...this being a free trial by Dornier they probably wanted to make absolutely sure it was not an unpleasant experience in any way.
That's just my opnion.
It was fine though. either way.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 13:56 (084324)

Glad it over and you are moving in a postive direction which will be pain free.!! AS far as IV sedation. This is just one method of knocking you out for the procedure. This can only be done in a surgical center. There are some dornier groups setting up shop at the ASC and some in a mobile unit or office setting like me. The choice is going to be different for each and every group.

Pauline on 5/17/02 at 14:08 (084329)

John,
I think you and I agree putting someone to sleep should be left in the hands of a qualified anesthesiologist. When my children had their wisdom teeth pulled the Oral Surgeon's office had an anesthesiologist on staff to administer the anesthetic. Many Oral Surgeon offices have this choice available.

I felt more comfortable having an anesthesiologist monitoring them during the surgery. I think it's a good option to have.

Carmen on 5/17/02 at 15:10 (084339)

I think anyone would agree it should be a qualified anes.
My nurse was an anesthesiologist from the hospital across the street. I am pretty sure it's illegal to have anyone else do it...We were in a surgery center for foot and leg.

BrianG on 5/17/02 at 17:00 (084361)

Good thinking Carmen. The alternative is to have an ankle block, which may not work. This is what happened to me. Was Ellen Ray still talking about the poor guy at Dr Z's that took it like a man, no lidocaine on the right foot :*) John, I fully expect you to do the same. Get one foor numbed, and take the other Lidocaine free. If I can do it, it should be no problem for a manly man like yourself!! :*)

BrianG

Monte on 5/17/02 at 18:18 (084368)

brian...i seem to be having a problem with my left foot. When I got the ankle block, i felt the doctor hit the nerve in the ankle and it shot down to my toes. He said that is what he was looking for. But since then, my left foot has a pulling sensation underneath it and the nerve shoots to my big toe. I sounds like tarsal tunnel, but I never had this until i got this shot. Dr Z put me on Motrin for 10 days and said it will go away. Does this sound weird? It is painful and totally different from what my PF. I cannot even bend over at the waist because it affects the bottom of my foot.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 18:26 (084370)

Brian,

Do you remember if your pain was more on the outside of the foot during the treatment?

Re: It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow!

BrianG on 5/19/02 at 17:03 (084595)

Dr. Z, I wouldn't say the pain was just on the outside. I could feel the shocks all the way through my foot. To me, it felt like there was no Lidocaine. Why it didn't work in that foot, I don't thnk we'll ever know. The other foot was entirely numb, the Lidocaine worked perfectly.

Monte, I hope you doing better today. I didn't have any long term reactions from the Lidocaine injections. Just an occasional twinge at the insertion point of the Dornier. Even that is mostly gone now, for the past few days I've hardly even felt it. I think I'm almost back to where I was before the treatment. The damage from the shock waves seems to be about healed, now it's time for the PF to begin to heal!!!

BrianG

john h on 5/20/02 at 10:32 (084670)

Having not had any experience with the Dornier what I think I would do is have the treatment with no shots. If the pain became to much I would then ask the Doctor to administer shots.

dave on 5/20/02 at 10:56 (084671)

I wouldnt unless your spiderman or some kinda super hero

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:33 (084728)

No form of anethesia is complication free but I would tend to favor IV sedation that we are using with the Ossatron. It does add a bit more to the cost.

Low energy units such as the Siemens Sonocur require no anesthesia at all.
Ed

Re: Why interrupt treatment if foot block is recommended?

Pauline on 5/21/02 at 10:14 (084759)

John,
Why start and stop a treatment and how do you know an interruption of treatment wouldn't change the outcome. If a foot block is recommended I think that's the way to go.

I'm not sure they know the exact process that is taking place within the tissues that causes a healing action to occur. Why add another variable to the treatment?