Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole C............

Posted by Ashley S. on 5/16/02 at 12:17 (084156)

I see you are in NOLA. Is that New Orleans? If so, I am here too. What doctor did you go to?

Thanks,
Ashley

Re: Carole C............

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 13:56 (084167)

Ashley, yes I am in the New Orleans area (in River Ridge, out near Metairie). I was diagnosed by my rheumatologist and I've never been to a podiatrist. I'd be interested in knowing the name of a good podiatrist in our area, too, if you find one!

Carole C

Ashley S. on 5/16/02 at 20:42 (084227)

My husband works in Harahan (Intralox) so I am very familiar with the area - we shop lots in Elmwood. I am scheduled to see Dr. Coleman - a podiatrist at Ochsner. My internal med md recomended a orthopod, but finding this site, I made the appt with the pod. I am in the process of finding shoes that will help. Do you have Birks?? I would like to get a pair, but don't really know which ones to get. Thanks for letting me know where you are!!

Ashley

Re: Birkenstocks :)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 21:34 (084232)

I have five pairs of Birkenstocks. I have the Arizona (which is the best one for most people), the Florida, the Grenada, the Fulda, and the Amsterdam. At the moment I am wearing my Fuldas. The Fulda and Amsterdam are the high arch footbed, though, and it's best to start with the 'classic footbed' which my Arizonas, Floridas, and Grenadas have. I would suggest trying Arizonas if you can find them, and if not, then maybe Floridas. They make a 'soft footbed' Arizona which some people like, but many of us prefer the regular 'classic footbed'.

There's a Birkenstock store in Baton Rouge and it's worth the trip. Get off at the College exit, (I think that's about exit 258) and then take College towards the River. It turns into Lee, and gets narrower and more residential, and you just keep going. Just before you hit Highland there's a little strip mall on the right, and that's where it is. The people there were very helpful! And, they had a lot of the different styles there and let me try them on.

Thanks for the information, and I hope you have a terrific appointment with your pod!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 21:35 (084233)

obviously I meant exit 158, not 258 (duh!)

Carolyn F. on 5/17/02 at 11:55 (084301)

Hey Carole, i also just did some research on Birks yesterday. I was looking on the QVC website because they have great prices. However, I too have no idea which ones to get. I currently wear orthotics 24-7. I am unable to go without due to the PF. Maybe you can reccomend a pair. I suffer with the severe heal pain and pain in the arches constantly. I always wondered if the Birks would offer an equivelent amount of support. Any advice would be appreciated.
P.S. I will be scheduling an appointment with Dr. Zuckerman soon for the ESWT.

Ashley S. on 5/17/02 at 15:35 (084346)

The link to Birks here has pretty good prices....thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/17/02 at 18:20 (084369)

I think you should go to your local Birkenstock store and try some on. You need to be fitted so that you can know exactly what size you wear so that the orthotic footbed works for you. The Birkenstock stores seem to have salespeople that know how to do this pretty well. Once you know your size, you can order other styles with the same footbed online or elsewhere, and know you are getting the best size for you. I found the 'bumps' in the footbed of the Birkenstocks to be a nice change now and then from my custom orthotics. Most people like the 'classic footbed' Arizona the best.

Although my custom orthotics helped to heal my PF, the Birkenstock footbed gave me enough support that I could wear them around the house and occasionally elsewhere without having a setback. I have five pairs and I still wear them every day after work. I have my Fuldas on right now, and earlier this afternoon I was wearing my Arizonas.

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 5/17/02 at 22:22 (084408)

Hi Carolyn F. - Saw your quest. regarding Birks.....I found the Boston Birkenstock Clogs to be the most comfortable for me & I truly believe they aided me in my healing. They're the Classic footbed. Then, a few weeks ago, I purchased the Tatami Bridgets which are really summer-y & cute - 'A breath of fresh air' w/ this battle of PF! Anyway, they've the softer footbed which is nice also & particularly so if your feet are like mine....they sometimes want super firm & then, other times, they wish for just a touch of gentle-ness! Good luck in your shoe quest! I think that Birks will make you happy!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 13:56 (084167)

Ashley, yes I am in the New Orleans area (in River Ridge, out near Metairie). I was diagnosed by my rheumatologist and I've never been to a podiatrist. I'd be interested in knowing the name of a good podiatrist in our area, too, if you find one!

Carole C

Ashley S. on 5/16/02 at 20:42 (084227)

My husband works in Harahan (Intralox) so I am very familiar with the area - we shop lots in Elmwood. I am scheduled to see Dr. Coleman - a podiatrist at Ochsner. My internal med md recomended a orthopod, but finding this site, I made the appt with the pod. I am in the process of finding shoes that will help. Do you have Birks?? I would like to get a pair, but don't really know which ones to get. Thanks for letting me know where you are!!

Ashley

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 21:34 (084232)

I have five pairs of Birkenstocks. I have the Arizona (which is the best one for most people), the Florida, the Grenada, the Fulda, and the Amsterdam. At the moment I am wearing my Fuldas. The Fulda and Amsterdam are the high arch footbed, though, and it's best to start with the 'classic footbed' which my Arizonas, Floridas, and Grenadas have. I would suggest trying Arizonas if you can find them, and if not, then maybe Floridas. They make a 'soft footbed' Arizona which some people like, but many of us prefer the regular 'classic footbed'.

There's a Birkenstock store in Baton Rouge and it's worth the trip. Get off at the College exit, (I think that's about exit 258) and then take College towards the River. It turns into Lee, and gets narrower and more residential, and you just keep going. Just before you hit Highland there's a little strip mall on the right, and that's where it is. The people there were very helpful! And, they had a lot of the different styles there and let me try them on.

Thanks for the information, and I hope you have a terrific appointment with your pod!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/16/02 at 21:35 (084233)

obviously I meant exit 158, not 258 (duh!)

Carolyn F. on 5/17/02 at 11:55 (084301)

Hey Carole, i also just did some research on Birks yesterday. I was looking on the QVC website because they have great prices. However, I too have no idea which ones to get. I currently wear orthotics 24-7. I am unable to go without due to the PF. Maybe you can reccomend a pair. I suffer with the severe heal pain and pain in the arches constantly. I always wondered if the Birks would offer an equivelent amount of support. Any advice would be appreciated.
P.S. I will be scheduling an appointment with Dr. Zuckerman soon for the ESWT.

Ashley S. on 5/17/02 at 15:35 (084346)

The link to Birks here has pretty good prices....thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/17/02 at 18:20 (084369)

I think you should go to your local Birkenstock store and try some on. You need to be fitted so that you can know exactly what size you wear so that the orthotic footbed works for you. The Birkenstock stores seem to have salespeople that know how to do this pretty well. Once you know your size, you can order other styles with the same footbed online or elsewhere, and know you are getting the best size for you. I found the 'bumps' in the footbed of the Birkenstocks to be a nice change now and then from my custom orthotics. Most people like the 'classic footbed' Arizona the best.

Although my custom orthotics helped to heal my PF, the Birkenstock footbed gave me enough support that I could wear them around the house and occasionally elsewhere without having a setback. I have five pairs and I still wear them every day after work. I have my Fuldas on right now, and earlier this afternoon I was wearing my Arizonas.

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 5/17/02 at 22:22 (084408)

Hi Carolyn F. - Saw your quest. regarding Birks.....I found the Boston Birkenstock Clogs to be the most comfortable for me & I truly believe they aided me in my healing. They're the Classic footbed. Then, a few weeks ago, I purchased the Tatami Bridgets which are really summer-y & cute - 'A breath of fresh air' w/ this battle of PF! Anyway, they've the softer footbed which is nice also & particularly so if your feet are like mine....they sometimes want super firm & then, other times, they wish for just a touch of gentle-ness! Good luck in your shoe quest! I think that Birks will make you happy!