Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics for Supinators

Posted by Neil B. on 5/16/02 at 15:09 (084174)

I hear a lot about arch supports and orthotics for pronators, but little about supinators.

I battle extremely tight/knotted muscles in my hamstrings, gluteus, upper back and shoulders. These problems started with long-ago injuries, but have gotten much worse over the past 5 years. I'm about 50 pounds overweight, but losing weight weekly.

Many years ago, I used custom 'SporThotics' made by a DPM, and they helped with problems I had at the time. Recently, I tried the Sof-Sole Motion Control insert, which was of little help and feel a little awkward. I just purchased a pair of SuperFeet Synergizer inserts (DPM designed), which have great reviews, but haven't used them yet. I've considered custom orthotics; Dr. Kiper's Silicone Dynamic Orthotics look like a good option.

Are better over-the-counter orthotic inserts helpful for over-supinators? Should I try several more or just go with a custom orthotic? Any DPM advice or real-life experiences from other supinators? Thanks!

Re: Orthotics for Supinators

Ed DAvis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:39 (084390)

I think that overpronators with foot problems outnumber oversupinators. There are few, if any, prefabricated orthotics specifically designed to deal with oversupination. Superfeet are my favorite pre-fabs but they must be modified to help with 'oversupination.' The silicone dynamic orhtotics have excellent shock absorbtion qualities which is what a lot of oversupinators need, but, they do not lend much stability and if lateral instability is a problem, they should be avoided.
Ed

Wayne M on 5/19/02 at 23:24 (084638)

Hi Neil B.

I would like to start off by asking you some question? Do you have pes cavus feet? Do you hava a high and rigid arch? Do you have any callous on your first metatarsal? Do you have a lot of callous on your heels? Where does your show wear on the outsole? I would like to help you with your extremely tight/knotted muscles in my hamstrings, gluteus, upper back and shoulders.

OFF THE SHELF VS CUSTOM

Hands down, Custom is #1. The insert is made to match your foot. O.T.S. products are made for the massess and are not individual specific.
If you want to have complete happiness you need to go with a custom.

Supination is very rare in our population. About 90% of people pronate(the kinetic chain collapses and shock is transmitted up the kinetic chain in vary degrees of stress), and 5-10% Supinate(the are poor shock absorbers. Some supinators might as well be walking on stilts.)

If you are a true supinator we need to work fast. The most important thing for a supinator is cushion. Since the foot is so rigid we can't do a lot of correction but we can give you a lot of comfort and cushion.

I have access to the latest in custom orthotic therapy technology. I have access to orthotics that are manufactured using thermoplastics, and are designed to your prescription specifications?

If you would like to start a relationship I would be happy to assist you in your quest for a better quality of life.

Talk to you soon,

Wayne M.

Richard, C.Ped on 5/20/02 at 08:13 (084654)

Neil,
I think a good custom soft or semi rigid orthosis along with a lateral wedge could work. I do that for most of my patients that over supinate.

I don't know who Wanye M is, and I don't recall ever seeing any posts with that name, so please be very careful of any new posters claiming to have the answer.

Wayne M, I hope you understand where I am coming from, and please do not take offence.
Richard

Neil B. on 5/20/02 at 11:08 (084672)

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to try the Superfeet insert with some thin taping under the insole (outside edges) to help with supination. My long-ago DPM did this to tweak my custom Sporthotics. If this doesn't help much, I'll visit a local DPM to see about custom orthotics.

BGCPed on 5/24/02 at 15:12 (085121)

Well at the risk of being labeled a Meanie I will input my .02 I am not sure what training you have Wayne but you should do more research if you are going to state figures and make promises. I would welcome you to provide more information and back up your claims. There are several factual and statistical falacies in your post.

chrisc on 5/25/02 at 10:43 (085186)

I am in Gainesville, FL and I have had trouble with supination for years, and have tried several different orthotic devices. The most recent is made of a hard plastic, 3/4 length, with some spenco foam over the top. the spenco material is already coming loose, as it was simply glued on top. I have always wondered if something a bit more forgiving might be better. I have had trouble, though, finding the right help here.
Currently, my plantar fasciitis seems under control, but there is still a bit of pain on the outside of the heel, to the boney prominence outside, midfoot, which I attribute to perhaps a bit of peroneal tendonitis.

Do you have any feelings about all this and do you know any folks in this area that are good at working with the feet?

Thanks,

Chris

BGCPed on 5/26/02 at 13:20 (085294)

Chris the devices you have may be giving you too much/incorrect medial arch support. I often see a high arch foot that has a medial posted device with a big arch. It can fire up peroneal and or put pressure on the base of the 5th met (the bump you are talking about). Be careful with that, in extreme cases you can actually get a jones type fracture or the 'bump' can snap off.

You may want to try Richard, he is not in your backyard but he is down in one of the Calinkie states. Just a Northern cheapshot Richard.

Chris what your describing is very common and could be a result of the person not having a true understanding of a device for high arch cavus foot

Ed DAvis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:39 (084390)

I think that overpronators with foot problems outnumber oversupinators. There are few, if any, prefabricated orthotics specifically designed to deal with oversupination. Superfeet are my favorite pre-fabs but they must be modified to help with 'oversupination.' The silicone dynamic orhtotics have excellent shock absorbtion qualities which is what a lot of oversupinators need, but, they do not lend much stability and if lateral instability is a problem, they should be avoided.
Ed

Wayne M on 5/19/02 at 23:24 (084638)

Hi Neil B.

I would like to start off by asking you some question? Do you have pes cavus feet? Do you hava a high and rigid arch? Do you have any callous on your first metatarsal? Do you have a lot of callous on your heels? Where does your show wear on the outsole? I would like to help you with your extremely tight/knotted muscles in my hamstrings, gluteus, upper back and shoulders.

OFF THE SHELF VS CUSTOM

Hands down, Custom is #1. The insert is made to match your foot. O.T.S. products are made for the massess and are not individual specific.
If you want to have complete happiness you need to go with a custom.

Supination is very rare in our population. About 90% of people pronate(the kinetic chain collapses and shock is transmitted up the kinetic chain in vary degrees of stress), and 5-10% Supinate(the are poor shock absorbers. Some supinators might as well be walking on stilts.)

If you are a true supinator we need to work fast. The most important thing for a supinator is cushion. Since the foot is so rigid we can't do a lot of correction but we can give you a lot of comfort and cushion.

I have access to the latest in custom orthotic therapy technology. I have access to orthotics that are manufactured using thermoplastics, and are designed to your prescription specifications?

If you would like to start a relationship I would be happy to assist you in your quest for a better quality of life.

Talk to you soon,

Wayne M.

Richard, C.Ped on 5/20/02 at 08:13 (084654)

Neil,
I think a good custom soft or semi rigid orthosis along with a lateral wedge could work. I do that for most of my patients that over supinate.

I don't know who Wanye M is, and I don't recall ever seeing any posts with that name, so please be very careful of any new posters claiming to have the answer.

Wayne M, I hope you understand where I am coming from, and please do not take offence.
Richard

Neil B. on 5/20/02 at 11:08 (084672)

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to try the Superfeet insert with some thin taping under the insole (outside edges) to help with supination. My long-ago DPM did this to tweak my custom Sporthotics. If this doesn't help much, I'll visit a local DPM to see about custom orthotics.

BGCPed on 5/24/02 at 15:12 (085121)

Well at the risk of being labeled a Meanie I will input my .02 I am not sure what training you have Wayne but you should do more research if you are going to state figures and make promises. I would welcome you to provide more information and back up your claims. There are several factual and statistical falacies in your post.

chrisc on 5/25/02 at 10:43 (085186)

I am in Gainesville, FL and I have had trouble with supination for years, and have tried several different orthotic devices. The most recent is made of a hard plastic, 3/4 length, with some spenco foam over the top. the spenco material is already coming loose, as it was simply glued on top. I have always wondered if something a bit more forgiving might be better. I have had trouble, though, finding the right help here.
Currently, my plantar fasciitis seems under control, but there is still a bit of pain on the outside of the heel, to the boney prominence outside, midfoot, which I attribute to perhaps a bit of peroneal tendonitis.

Do you have any feelings about all this and do you know any folks in this area that are good at working with the feet?

Thanks,

Chris

BGCPed on 5/26/02 at 13:20 (085294)

Chris the devices you have may be giving you too much/incorrect medial arch support. I often see a high arch foot that has a medial posted device with a big arch. It can fire up peroneal and or put pressure on the base of the 5th met (the bump you are talking about). Be careful with that, in extreme cases you can actually get a jones type fracture or the 'bump' can snap off.

You may want to try Richard, he is not in your backyard but he is down in one of the Calinkie states. Just a Northern cheapshot Richard.

Chris what your describing is very common and could be a result of the person not having a true understanding of a device for high arch cavus foot