Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

knee surg scheduled

Posted by LisaG on 5/16/02 at 16:43 (084193)

hi ya'll...
my knee surg is scheduled for wed, may 29th...i'm not scared...YET...i'm sure i will be as the time draws closer...i know this board is for our feetsies...but i hope you all can understand me posting about my knee surg here...as all body parts are linked...i'm afraid what being on crutches for an extended period of time will do to my left foot...and i won't be able to do my stretching...or the little bit of exercising i can do now...keeping my legs somewhat loose...oh no...starting to freak myself out...ok...don't want to end up back in the hospital with a migraine like yesterday...so going to end this and crawl back into bed for a bit...

hugggs and happy walking
lisa

Re: knee surg scheduled

Suzanne D on 5/16/02 at 19:56 (084222)

Hi, Lisa. I do hope the surgery will help you! Maybe you can talk to your doctor about those concerns that you have, and that can relieve your mind.

I DO understand about migraines as I suffer from them myself. That pain is hard to take. Sometimes being able to rest in bed and then go to sleep is the best medicine.

You take care, and keep us posted!

Suzanne :-)

Rich on 5/17/02 at 08:02 (084272)

Hi Lisa...try talking to your doctor about any concerns you have. It's his job to put you at ease (or should be!).

I recommend doing an online search on how to properly use crutches so you will be prepared. I didn't do this till John H suggested it and this was after several days of complaining on my part.

At first, I thought is was just my 'natural gracefulness', then discovered I plain old didn't know what I was doing! LOL Easy to laugh about it now!!

Hugs back to you!

Richelle

Kathy G on 5/17/02 at 08:34 (084280)

Lisa,

Make sure that you have a Physical Therapist show you how to correctly use your crutches. My son broke his leg when he was eight years old and they send home from the hospital without having fully instructed him on the use of the crutches and he was terrified. This was a feisty, extremely athletic kid! I called the doctor and he set up an appointment with a Physical Therapist and he showed my son the correct way to use the crutches so that he wouldn't hurt his shoulders, etc. Actually, my son went to extremes and was able to kick a soccer ball and play football (supposedly as the designated quarterback) at recess much to the alarm of his teachers! I don't suggest you pursue those activities when you're on crutches but hopefully they can help you with your legitimate fears about your foot!

Good luck and try not to worry. I know that's easy for me to say but the stress of the worry is surely contributing to those migraines! Keep on posting and remember we're all here for you!

Suzanne D on 5/16/02 at 19:56 (084222)

Hi, Lisa. I do hope the surgery will help you! Maybe you can talk to your doctor about those concerns that you have, and that can relieve your mind.

I DO understand about migraines as I suffer from them myself. That pain is hard to take. Sometimes being able to rest in bed and then go to sleep is the best medicine.

You take care, and keep us posted!

Suzanne :-)

Rich on 5/17/02 at 08:02 (084272)

Hi Lisa...try talking to your doctor about any concerns you have. It's his job to put you at ease (or should be!).

I recommend doing an online search on how to properly use crutches so you will be prepared. I didn't do this till John H suggested it and this was after several days of complaining on my part.

At first, I thought is was just my 'natural gracefulness', then discovered I plain old didn't know what I was doing! LOL Easy to laugh about it now!!

Hugs back to you!

Richelle

Kathy G on 5/17/02 at 08:34 (084280)

Lisa,

Make sure that you have a Physical Therapist show you how to correctly use your crutches. My son broke his leg when he was eight years old and they send home from the hospital without having fully instructed him on the use of the crutches and he was terrified. This was a feisty, extremely athletic kid! I called the doctor and he set up an appointment with a Physical Therapist and he showed my son the correct way to use the crutches so that he wouldn't hurt his shoulders, etc. Actually, my son went to extremes and was able to kick a soccer ball and play football (supposedly as the designated quarterback) at recess much to the alarm of his teachers! I don't suggest you pursue those activities when you're on crutches but hopefully they can help you with your legitimate fears about your foot!

Good luck and try not to worry. I know that's easy for me to say but the stress of the worry is surely contributing to those migraines! Keep on posting and remember we're all here for you!