Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rachel and anyone else with multiple symptoms..and JULIE

Posted by Carmen on 5/16/02 at 17:40 (084207)

http://members.aol.com/fibroworld/mps.htm

I posted for Nancy on the social board...but now I am thinking the symptom board might be more appropriate. Please take a look at this link if you have any 'multiple' unexplained symptoms that may be muscular or musculoskeletal. This is a new thing for me...a new discovery I think I nailed my problem on the head this time.
Julie~remember all the thngs I was tested for...all the negative test results and me whining 'What could this possibly be if everything is negative!!!???' Well..besides PF and PF included..I believe everything comes from RSI (due to sports nad sitting job)and my condition is 'Myofascial Pain Syndrome'.
I went to the bookstore today and read up on it and I swear...my picture should be right next to the symptoms pages....

I completely believe ruling out all serious things is a MUST first but this is truly as close as I can get to an explanation of what I go through on a daily basis.
I am relieved to say the least, Still in pain with hamstrings, glutes lower back etc...but ART is doing wonders. Totally explains why the massage and NST and ART helps me. I just sighed with relief when I found the book at the book store.

Re: Rachel and anyone else with multiple symptoms..and JULIE

Julie on 5/17/02 at 01:08 (084253)

Carmen, this has long been reading as a detective story, and if you really have found The Crucial Clue, that's great. I'll have to find out more about myofascial pain syndrome. Presumably it's when the fascia that encloses a muscle sticks to it instead of allowing it to glide freely? In which case of course the various massage and releasing techniques would be the helpful ones. It sounds as though you're on the right track. Do you or does anyone (Donna?) know if ART can be a lasting 'cure', or is MPS a condition that will always need treatment?

Carmen on 5/17/02 at 07:27 (084261)

ART is supposed to be a permanent fix once things are back in place....MPS has a POSITIVE prognosis....as long as you are treated by docs that know what it is and how important it is to treat it as a team.

I'll tell you....I was at my wits end when my physiatrist called the other day.....He had reviewed ALL mri's, xrays, blood work...etc. and called and said 'I am stumped. Totally stumped. Nothing fits into this pain cycle....you're definitely not a fibro candidate...your symptoms are no indicative of arthritis...'
So he mentioned MPS kind of on the sly in conversation. The minutes we hung up...I recalled a site I had seen this on before...read about it, went to the bookstore and read on it some more. It makes perfect sense.

Kathy G on 5/17/02 at 08:13 (084276)

Carmen,

I'm so happy that the ESWT went well and hope that you are on to something with the MPS. It's nice that it's a condition that can be cured!

Have a happy time with your nieces this weekend!

Sharon W on 5/17/02 at 08:17 (084278)

Carmen,

It really sounds like you are onto something with the MPS. You know how I am about intuition - well, if everything fits, if this just 'seems' like the right diagnosis to you, it probably is! :)

-- Sharon

Julie on 5/17/02 at 01:08 (084253)

Carmen, this has long been reading as a detective story, and if you really have found The Crucial Clue, that's great. I'll have to find out more about myofascial pain syndrome. Presumably it's when the fascia that encloses a muscle sticks to it instead of allowing it to glide freely? In which case of course the various massage and releasing techniques would be the helpful ones. It sounds as though you're on the right track. Do you or does anyone (Donna?) know if ART can be a lasting 'cure', or is MPS a condition that will always need treatment?

Carmen on 5/17/02 at 07:27 (084261)

ART is supposed to be a permanent fix once things are back in place....MPS has a POSITIVE prognosis....as long as you are treated by docs that know what it is and how important it is to treat it as a team.

I'll tell you....I was at my wits end when my physiatrist called the other day.....He had reviewed ALL mri's, xrays, blood work...etc. and called and said 'I am stumped. Totally stumped. Nothing fits into this pain cycle....you're definitely not a fibro candidate...your symptoms are no indicative of arthritis...'
So he mentioned MPS kind of on the sly in conversation. The minutes we hung up...I recalled a site I had seen this on before...read about it, went to the bookstore and read on it some more. It makes perfect sense.

Kathy G on 5/17/02 at 08:13 (084276)

Carmen,

I'm so happy that the ESWT went well and hope that you are on to something with the MPS. It's nice that it's a condition that can be cured!

Have a happy time with your nieces this weekend!

Sharon W on 5/17/02 at 08:17 (084278)

Carmen,

It really sounds like you are onto something with the MPS. You know how I am about intuition - well, if everything fits, if this just 'seems' like the right diagnosis to you, it probably is! :)

-- Sharon