Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

traveling Vietnam Vet memorial...

Posted by Suzanne D on 5/16/02 at 18:59 (084219)

Hello, everyone! I read in our local paper that a half-scale replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial will be near us this weekend. It is known as The Wall That Heals and has been to KY three times, but this will be the closest it has been to where I live.

I hope to go tomorrow evening and will honor John H. in my thoughts as I have read here of his service in the Vietnam War. I wonder if there are other posters who are Vietnam Vets (or wives of Vets)? I would like to remember you as well.

My first memory of that war was sitting in a junior high social studies class and being told that we would have a debate on whether the US should be involved in the conflict. I remember feeling confused about it all. Then we ate supper every night watching the news told to us by Walter Cronkite. My daddy thought it was our duty to always know what was happening each day. He said that was the least we could do. So my sister and I vied for talking time during the commercials! (Good thing that was before cable and satellite dishes! We never would have gotten to talk!):-)

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Suzanne :-)

Re: traveling Vietnam Vet memorial...

BrianG on 5/16/02 at 22:09 (084241)

Hi Suzanne,

Get ready for a very powerful experience. I was lucky enough to get to Washington DC a few years ago to see The Wall. It had been up for years, and yet there was a steady group of mourners, many leavng mementos of all types. I hear most are saved each day, and stored in one of the Smithsonian buildings. I happed to go with a woman, whose father was killed over there, before she was born, bad deal.....
If you can find my classmate, David A. Hill, from MA. tell him the class of '66' is still very proud of him. He was one of 7, from our small city.
But, one of the worst results to happen, is that we lost many more than the 7 who are on the monument in town. They died later from PTSD and Agent Orange poisening!!!!

Thanks for going, and remembering.
BrianG

Kathy G on 5/17/02 at 08:25 (084279)

Hi Suzanne,

I haven't seen the traveling monument but did get to see the real Wall in Washington and it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. My daughter was only around five at the time but even she was affected by the somber, respectful mood that permeated the area. It wasn't necessary to tell her to curb her typical five-year-old exuberance. To this day, she says that it is one of the things she remembers most about the visit to the city.

For me, it was especially emotional to look up the name of one of my best childhood friends in the book and then see it on the Wall. We had been friends until I moved when I was sixteen and in my mind, that's how old he always will be. It was a painful time in our history and I have the utmost respect for John H and all the others who gave their time only to come back to a country so divided that they were never given their due recognition.

Sorry to ramble on.......

john h on 5/17/02 at 08:55 (084283)

Brian: A close friend and roommate in college was Commander of the squadron of C-130's that dropped agent orange. On occasion I had to fly directly behind these aircraft as they dispensed their deadly product. I have never seen any data on the guys who had to fly the aircraft and handle the product. It must not be good. I have landed in areas cleared by agent orange and it's effects has always been somewhere in the back of my mind.

BrianG on 5/17/02 at 14:44 (084334)

I've worried too John. In fact I had my Neurologist test me to see if I had any A.O. in my system. I'm pretty sure that was the 24 hour urine test, that also tested for heavy metals. This was while I was still in severe denial that all my pain could be coming from something as simple as PF. In my mind, there had to be something else. I drove my doctors crazy!!!!!

You should probably have yourself tested, John. 58,000 names on the wall, not nearly the total that should be there, but I guess they had to draw the line some where.

BrianG

john h on 5/17/02 at 18:54 (084372)

Thank you Suzanne!

john h on 5/17/02 at 19:11 (084379)

Brian: I have not made the Wall in Washington but only the traveling wall on two occasions. I have at least 15 buddies names on that wall. No I have not been tested for heavy metal and you are correct I probably should have done that long ago. When you land a helicopter in an area defoliated by agent orange you are blowing up a dust storm all around you so all of us had to injest the stuff. Flying behind the C-130's when they were dispensing it we were slightly higher than the C-130 so that should not have been a problem. The C-130's would sometimes fly 3 in a V formation so a lot of that stuff was going down there. Talking to some of my friends who have been back I am happy to hear the jungle has reclaimed the land. I was fortunate one year when I was supposed to fly a helicopter in an area as they exploded a nuclear bomb for 'TEST' purposes. They were to see what effect it had on the helcopter and we were to take picutres. On my way to the project my helicopter broke down and another had to replace me or else i am sure I would have a little radiation to deal with.

J. King on 5/18/02 at 20:33 (084516)

John H

I did not know you were a Vietnam Vet. I am a Vietnam Vet and my wife lost a brother over there in 1967. I don't know how much Agent Orange I was exposed to but it was probably in everything I touched or ate.
I was at the Wall when it was dedicated. The Vet Center counselor says I have PTSD. Who the hell knows? Anyway most of the Vets I have known have had all kinds of medical problems. Adult diabetes is now accepted as service connected. I am on the Agent Orange registry in case I develop some of that stuff. I am trying to get 100% disability from the V.A. but I have a ways to go. I will not give up until I get it. Persistence is the main thing.

BrianG on 5/18/02 at 21:44 (084526)

Hey John,

I have no doubt that if you had taken those photo's of the nuke, we wouldn't be having this conversation!!! Another symptom of A.O. is birth defects in your childern. The jungle may have grown back, but I'd hate to see what the locals look like!

BrianG

john h on 5/19/02 at 11:56 (084577)

J. King: where were you and what branch of service? I was in the Air Force and one tour in Air Rescue (helicopter) and one tour Special Ops (Long range patrol teams). Saigon,Dong Ha, NKP, Ubon. 68-69 71-72.

john h on 5/19/02 at 11:58 (084578)

I can send you a picture of one of the early nukes Brian but not the new babies.

J. King on 5/19/02 at 12:41 (084583)

John H

I was in the Army and was at Bearcat with the First aviation Brigade. I was there during 1970 from Jan-Dec. There is a good website you might want to check out. http://www.Hadit.com . They have a good discussion group and can help vets get disability compensation and things like that. I saw the traveling Wall a few weeks ago. There is some group named Firebase Phoenix, I think, that is having a rally in Wash. D.C. on May 24 regarding Veterans and V.A. claims backlog.

John K

BrianG on 5/16/02 at 22:09 (084241)

Hi Suzanne,

Get ready for a very powerful experience. I was lucky enough to get to Washington DC a few years ago to see The Wall. It had been up for years, and yet there was a steady group of mourners, many leavng mementos of all types. I hear most are saved each day, and stored in one of the Smithsonian buildings. I happed to go with a woman, whose father was killed over there, before she was born, bad deal.....
If you can find my classmate, David A. Hill, from MA. tell him the class of '66' is still very proud of him. He was one of 7, from our small city.
But, one of the worst results to happen, is that we lost many more than the 7 who are on the monument in town. They died later from PTSD and Agent Orange poisening!!!!

Thanks for going, and remembering.
BrianG

Kathy G on 5/17/02 at 08:25 (084279)

Hi Suzanne,

I haven't seen the traveling monument but did get to see the real Wall in Washington and it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. My daughter was only around five at the time but even she was affected by the somber, respectful mood that permeated the area. It wasn't necessary to tell her to curb her typical five-year-old exuberance. To this day, she says that it is one of the things she remembers most about the visit to the city.

For me, it was especially emotional to look up the name of one of my best childhood friends in the book and then see it on the Wall. We had been friends until I moved when I was sixteen and in my mind, that's how old he always will be. It was a painful time in our history and I have the utmost respect for John H and all the others who gave their time only to come back to a country so divided that they were never given their due recognition.

Sorry to ramble on.......

john h on 5/17/02 at 08:55 (084283)

Brian: A close friend and roommate in college was Commander of the squadron of C-130's that dropped agent orange. On occasion I had to fly directly behind these aircraft as they dispensed their deadly product. I have never seen any data on the guys who had to fly the aircraft and handle the product. It must not be good. I have landed in areas cleared by agent orange and it's effects has always been somewhere in the back of my mind.

BrianG on 5/17/02 at 14:44 (084334)

I've worried too John. In fact I had my Neurologist test me to see if I had any A.O. in my system. I'm pretty sure that was the 24 hour urine test, that also tested for heavy metals. This was while I was still in severe denial that all my pain could be coming from something as simple as PF. In my mind, there had to be something else. I drove my doctors crazy!!!!!

You should probably have yourself tested, John. 58,000 names on the wall, not nearly the total that should be there, but I guess they had to draw the line some where.

BrianG

john h on 5/17/02 at 18:54 (084372)

Thank you Suzanne!

john h on 5/17/02 at 19:11 (084379)

Brian: I have not made the Wall in Washington but only the traveling wall on two occasions. I have at least 15 buddies names on that wall. No I have not been tested for heavy metal and you are correct I probably should have done that long ago. When you land a helicopter in an area defoliated by agent orange you are blowing up a dust storm all around you so all of us had to injest the stuff. Flying behind the C-130's when they were dispensing it we were slightly higher than the C-130 so that should not have been a problem. The C-130's would sometimes fly 3 in a V formation so a lot of that stuff was going down there. Talking to some of my friends who have been back I am happy to hear the jungle has reclaimed the land. I was fortunate one year when I was supposed to fly a helicopter in an area as they exploded a nuclear bomb for 'TEST' purposes. They were to see what effect it had on the helcopter and we were to take picutres. On my way to the project my helicopter broke down and another had to replace me or else i am sure I would have a little radiation to deal with.

J. King on 5/18/02 at 20:33 (084516)

John H

I did not know you were a Vietnam Vet. I am a Vietnam Vet and my wife lost a brother over there in 1967. I don't know how much Agent Orange I was exposed to but it was probably in everything I touched or ate.
I was at the Wall when it was dedicated. The Vet Center counselor says I have PTSD. Who the hell knows? Anyway most of the Vets I have known have had all kinds of medical problems. Adult diabetes is now accepted as service connected. I am on the Agent Orange registry in case I develop some of that stuff. I am trying to get 100% disability from the V.A. but I have a ways to go. I will not give up until I get it. Persistence is the main thing.

BrianG on 5/18/02 at 21:44 (084526)

Hey John,

I have no doubt that if you had taken those photo's of the nuke, we wouldn't be having this conversation!!! Another symptom of A.O. is birth defects in your childern. The jungle may have grown back, but I'd hate to see what the locals look like!

BrianG

john h on 5/19/02 at 11:56 (084577)

J. King: where were you and what branch of service? I was in the Air Force and one tour in Air Rescue (helicopter) and one tour Special Ops (Long range patrol teams). Saigon,Dong Ha, NKP, Ubon. 68-69 71-72.

john h on 5/19/02 at 11:58 (084578)

I can send you a picture of one of the early nukes Brian but not the new babies.

J. King on 5/19/02 at 12:41 (084583)

John H

I was in the Army and was at Bearcat with the First aviation Brigade. I was there during 1970 from Jan-Dec. There is a good website you might want to check out. http://www.Hadit.com . They have a good discussion group and can help vets get disability compensation and things like that. I saw the traveling Wall a few weeks ago. There is some group named Firebase Phoenix, I think, that is having a rally in Wash. D.C. on May 24 regarding Veterans and V.A. claims backlog.

John K