Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re;endo planta release surgery due to tear infection?help

Posted by lisa k on 5/16/02 at 23:24 (084244)

i have changed pods, new one can communicate much better with,..well my question -after doing nothing but 24/7camwalker and no real relief or healing ,new pod put me in aircast and rxd very light pt for almost spasmodic calf muscles from the confinment to cam walker ,......what is difference in these 2walking casts,?

2nd he requested the mri images themselves ,and has gone over them in great detail(couldnt believe i actually had a tear w/o terrific force injury)-he consulted back and forth with radiologist, and he says tear is ragged just a strand hanging on and inflamed injury at insertion point? infection possible (still pain 9 to walk)- after legenthning calf musceles backw 2weeks gentle pt..... he reccomended surgery ,to go in and release the strand hanging on not healing and possibly shave boney spur at insertion point-clean up the mess(he has been in practice since 1970 and certified in all areas including foot and ankle surgery-says ossatron- for this rare tear- w/not healig problem would not be helpful ,best way to get back to healed foot, is cut and open it up via surgery

what would be the percent or odds of a good outcome?....and ive been told 12 weeks down time do you agree?

Re: re;endo planta release surgery due to tear infection?help

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 21:08 (084401)

Lisa:

I am not sure I understand the full story. Posts from individuals get 'scattered' over a large are of this site so we don't always have the time to collect them and piece the story together. It seems, based on your description, that you have a tear of the plantar fascia. Unsure if you are stating that you have already had surgery or are listing the surgery that is being planned.
Ed

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 00:57 (084410)

surgery,as being planned ,8weeks ago tore it - did camwalker24/7still pain just straand left ,but scared of open surgery to release it fully,IM ONLY 37, any thought Dr. is an air pump type cast appropiate for stabilization while im waiting? thanks

DR Zuckerman on 5/19/02 at 06:56 (084552)

So you have had no surgery. There are alot of other types of treatment before foot surgery. The mri can help to evaluate a tear but not showing just one strain of plantar fascia fiber hanging on for dear life. IF the area of pain is pin point descrete at or near the inserion of the plantar fascia then ESWT is an option. Phyicial therapy is an option. A hard fiber glass cast is an option

lisa k on 5/24/02 at 03:04 (085058)

thank you Dr. Z.,could it tear and detach completely- now just a few days ago feel no pain or tension at the inside medial arch, my big toe seems to not 'go with the rest' ,and i now have LATERAL pain for the first time ever (sounds similar to fasciotomy(excuse my spelling)
Im in PT started last week, have worn the cam walker 6wks and air cast2 weeks. The PT is involing deep muscle massage and lengthening of the calf muscle(one time the massage hurt so bad only on the inside while he was doing this therapy)

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 21:08 (084401)

Lisa:

I am not sure I understand the full story. Posts from individuals get 'scattered' over a large are of this site so we don't always have the time to collect them and piece the story together. It seems, based on your description, that you have a tear of the plantar fascia. Unsure if you are stating that you have already had surgery or are listing the surgery that is being planned.
Ed

lisa k on 5/18/02 at 00:57 (084410)

surgery,as being planned ,8weeks ago tore it - did camwalker24/7still pain just straand left ,but scared of open surgery to release it fully,IM ONLY 37, any thought Dr. is an air pump type cast appropiate for stabilization while im waiting? thanks

DR Zuckerman on 5/19/02 at 06:56 (084552)

So you have had no surgery. There are alot of other types of treatment before foot surgery. The mri can help to evaluate a tear but not showing just one strain of plantar fascia fiber hanging on for dear life. IF the area of pain is pin point descrete at or near the inserion of the plantar fascia then ESWT is an option. Phyicial therapy is an option. A hard fiber glass cast is an option

lisa k on 5/24/02 at 03:04 (085058)

thank you Dr. Z.,could it tear and detach completely- now just a few days ago feel no pain or tension at the inside medial arch, my big toe seems to not 'go with the rest' ,and i now have LATERAL pain for the first time ever (sounds similar to fasciotomy(excuse my spelling)
Im in PT started last week, have worn the cam walker 6wks and air cast2 weeks. The PT is involing deep muscle massage and lengthening of the calf muscle(one time the massage hurt so bad only on the inside while he was doing this therapy)