Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nurse and Pod blew me off

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 5/16/02 at 23:40 (084247)

I didn't go to Star Wars today with my work to make my pod appt.

I get there and the nurse says 'why are you here?' I said I had an appt...that I was supposed to have my new orthodics ... but didn't get them to just recently and ordered shoes for them. She them tried to talk me out of my appt since she couldn't see why I was there if I had not been trying the new orthodics. I finally said 'I want more PT...it is running out (I have one more appt)...' I was also looking at her with a LOOK. She said when she saw THE LOOK 'I was just making sure that YOUR TIME wouldn't be wasted..' YEAH RIGHT! I went out to my car to get my orthodics.

My pod come in the room. My previous pod is out since she just had a baby. He and I meet for the first time. He introduces himself...I tell him about my store made computer scan orthodics and asked WHY the previous pod ordered such hard rigid ortodics? He explains why he feels they are better.

I ask questions...he looks like he is cornered at a dinner party by some nut case and must get away. He nods...says 'ok' and tries to escape. I DON'T LET HIM. I persist and ask all my questions. I find out HE HAS PF! He wears orthodics!

I CORNOR HIM about PT...Sir, may I have some more? He says 'PT won't help me more. I need to keep on stretching.'

I ask...'should I make another appt?' He says...'Sure if you want...in about 4 weeks...we can see if your orthodics need adjusting...'

I made my appt and left in total disgust. I prayed for God to make him realise how much he should he didn't care...and was in a hurry to get rid of me. Perhaps he had diarehha...perhaps he just wanted to make up for lost time with a late patient...I dunno.

I needed to tell this story. Thanks for listening.

Re: Nurse and Pod blew me off

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 00:55 (084250)

m, this sounds an awful lot like my first pod. are you sure you don't live near portland, maine?

i think you handled him well -- but keep on pushing for that pt if you feel you need it.

it took me 8 MONTHS to realize my first pod was being a jerk when he didn't analyze my gait, didn't look at my shoes, didn't recommend any stretching or rest, blew off my question about pt ('might make it worse'), and tried to hurry me into EPF surgery.

it was only after i found heelspurs.com that the obvious became clear to me: my pod was not the least bit interested in dealing with a pf case that hadn't cleared up in 3 months.

i hope your regular pod is better than this replacement you saw.

nancy

Re: Boston

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 07:37 (084267)

Nancy N and Nancy S (and anyone else) how far are you from Cambridge Mass? There is a possibility (a remote one at this point) that I may be there some time in the fall.

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 07:39 (084268)

Mahatmelissama, your story sounds all too common...when will your other pod be back?

Rich on 5/17/02 at 07:50 (084270)

After sixteen years in management...I know that attitude look too! I can't stand it when medical personnel pull it! It's bad enough when a salesperson tries to pretend that you the customer is important. But in your doctor's office, you really are the customer!

I can't believe he has pf and still blew you off....must be one of those 'barely hurts' stages? LOL

Richelle

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 07:51 (084271)

wendy! i'm only two hours from cambridge! want to come up and spend some time by the ocean in a historic, seedy resort town? if not, i'll gladly hop a train.

nancy

Re: My pod had a baby...

Mahatmelissama on 5/17/02 at 09:49 (084292)

and God only knows when she will want to come back. She IS WAY BETTER cause at least she cares! The sad thing is yeah, my story is way too common. Medical Care in the USA is going down hill since the HMOs make the docs crank out patients.

Re: Sounds like your pod and this one are brothers...

Mahatmelissama on 5/17/02 at 09:56 (084293)

They must hang out at the country club, having gin tonics and writing up lists of 'ways to blow your customers out of your office'.

I was able to not cry this time since I knew I know that only God can heal me through time, stretching, losing weight...mostly time in orthodics. My body has to heal itself. I also take vitamins...minerals and 2 aleve 2 times a day. I also ice...

If I was dependent on this doctor to get better, I would have probably lost it like I did once in the past. You DO NOT WANT ME TO GO OFF ON YOU...I may look like a pushover (and am most of the time) but I have a lot of pent up frustration with the system....and have a forked tongue. I have learned in the past though it is useless...you just look foolish to them and they congradulate themselves...pat themselves on the back for getting rid of you anyway since you are 'bad tempered'.

I hope I never grow so cold in my heart for people who have PF if I am ever cured. I would rather have PF than a cold heart like that!

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 12:37 (084309)

Nancy - how far are you from Manchester - are you the same direction away from Boston?

If I do go, it will be on a training course for work. The course would be 2 to 4 days, but I would try to tack on a few more to visit relatives in Manchester. I also have a cousin who lives right in Boston.

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 15:48 (084349)

yes, wendy, i'm the same direction away from boston as manchester. manchester is right on the coast (as you know, remember we discussed Singing Beach long ago?), so the route is a bit different, but the direction is basically the same, and the time probably a bit shorter from here to manchester.

when it comes to boston and cambridge, boston is more a straight shot for me. i can just get on the train or bus and land right in the middle of it. cambridge requires that, plus a few T (subway) changes. but not a big deal.

n.

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 20:50 (084395)

Sounds promising Nancy....if and when I get the official word that we're going...I will let you know.

I have not mentioned my 'little' flying phobia to my new boss.

Oh well. I'm afraid of public speaking and they make me do that too.

It would be AWESOME to finally meet you!

Re: fear of public speaking

Carole C in NOLA on 5/18/02 at 07:04 (084427)

I think most people feel the same way as you do about public speaking. I joined Toastmasters and it really helps. The more you speak, the easier it becomes. Besides, the other people are nice and it's fun; people give you only positive, constructive feedback and they aren't negative so that helps. You get ribbons and trophies to display in your office. It's something to keep in mind, if sometime in your life you have the time for it.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/18/02 at 07:38 (084432)

Thanks Carole - the public speaking I'm learning to deal with, it's that little flying thing that's a problem.

However, I have a another thing about not letting this phobia run my life - if I have to go somewhere - I go. This time it would make a difference in my career, so turning it down will not be an option.

Re: fear of flying

Carole C in NOLA on 5/18/02 at 07:53 (084434)

I've got no suggestions regarding fear of flying. It doesn't bother me although I was terrified when I had to fly right after Sept 11th. I guess that's the terrorists' objective: to terrify.

My own phobia is fear of heights (other than in planes, which don't seem to trigger it). I don't like being near the windows in tall buildings, and so on. It hasn't really affected my life very much, so I haven't tried to deal with it. I does help me understand phobias, though.

My dissertation defense some years ago was to include an hour talking about my research, that anyone could attend. There was only one time during the whole semester that my esteemed committee could all be there, and at that time the only room available was on the 10th floor in a corner. So, I had no choice; I had to do it then, and there.

Two of the four walls were glass from floor to ceiling which was terrifying to me. I might as well have been standing on the edge of a cliff, but I knew that I just HAD to do it. I was so 'pumped' that the fear of heights in addition to the fear of public speaking just heightened my state of alertness and slowed down time a bit. I did a lot better than I thought I could. So in that case, my phobias actually helped.

Carole C

nancy s. on 5/18/02 at 09:07 (084435)

it'd be awesome for me, too, wendy! keep me posted.

i still won't fly without general anesthesia. that means, of course, that i don't fly. but more power to YOU!

nancy

JudyS on 5/18/02 at 11:31 (084444)

Geez Melissa - and to think that you missed Star Wars for that guy! Your visit sounds much like a couple that I've had with Pods in my HMO - the fact is that they're out of answers for you, as far as they're concerned, so they're frustrated and want to just get rid of you. Well, the other fact is that there is always an answer even if it takes time to find it.
The most frustrating moment I had was when one of my HMO Pods looked at me and said 'I guess you'll just have to learn to live with it.'
Well, that was akin to waving a red flag in front of a bull!

Re: "I guess you'll have to learn to live with it"

Sharon W on 5/18/02 at 11:36 (084446)

Judy,

When your HMO pod said that, what did you DO?

-- Sharon

Re: Flying and Public Speaking...

Rich on 5/18/02 at 15:24 (084460)

Wendy...all I can say is Good Luck! LOL, been there and done that!

I went to work for a very large local jewelry manufacturer and started climbing the corporate ladder. Not long after I landed in a management position I found out I had to attend a trade show...in Nashville!

Well, this little girl from Louisiana had never been away from home before, much less fly!! I was terrified but didn't want to admit it to my boss. I was partnered with a company director and the first thing he did once we were on this huge jet in New Orleans was make the sign of the cross and start praying! I was ready to get off right then and there!!

I made it to the show and did my job...the bonus? Our accomodations were the OpryLand Hotel for a week. I swear I never left the hotel and never ate in the same place more than twice! I had a wonderful atrium room and really enjoyed myself. During my employment there I flew several times and got to see places I know I never would have....Beale Street, the Peabody Hotel, Memphis....St. Louis (same time as the Pope's visit), Nashville...to name a few.

As for public speaking...that did come out with my boss. His solution? I had to develop and host with another Public Speaker Scaredy, a game show during our monthly sales meetings based upon our products and services. We had to motivate our sales employees to participate to win Friday afternoons off with pay! That sure cured me....I'll never again tell anyone voluntarily that I am afraid of public speaking!

My pastor even got in on this and asked/volunteered me to say the weekly announcements at church....using a microphone, in front of the congregation! That was even harder!! LOL

We were scared to fly after 9/11 but had a scheduled trip to Puerto Vallarta through our family business. My mother wouldn't even speak to me about it, but we went anyway. Security was so tight that our nerves were put at ease and we had a great trip. Airline personnel were very friendly and working hard to ease our fears.

Sorry this was so long...I got carried away. Anyway...good luck and just picture your audience in their underwear! LOL

Richelle

Julie on 5/18/02 at 16:35 (084471)

Hey, Wendy - maybe you'll get to Cambridge, England some other day? That's only 50 miles from me.

wendyn on 5/18/02 at 18:26 (084492)

Actually - the public speaking thing is really coming along.

I was afraid of it before I did it. For the last two years I've had to teach the odd course to employees..and it's really not so bad. I'm a pretty yappy person (ya think?), and I like to help people learn...so it's really okay.

For me, I believe that I can have all the little fears and phobias I want...but I won't allow them to interfere with my life (or my career). I can't. So, if I need to fly - I will fly. My new boss has no idea that I have this 'little' problem...I don't intend to mention it but I'm sure someone will if they hear I'm going.

I teach the classes, so I guess that's why she assumed I was okay with public speaking. Part of my new job will be giving presentations to groups...so I guess I'm no longer afraid of public speaking (simply wouldn't work would it?)

I have family in Boston and Manchester - and I may just get a chance to meet some of our famous heelspurs.com addicts. That alone would make the trip worth it. There I go getting my hopes up!

On a different note, my ankle and foot are killing me today. Too many days spent standing - and walking on that stupid concrete floor (although I did have the mat for the second day).

I considered mentioning to the training coordinator that she might ponder the potential worker's compensation repercussions of knowingly putting an employee in a situation that you fully realize could have impacts on their health and well being. Especially when the employee requests accommodations to mitigate the risk - and those measures aren't followed up.

There, I'll get off my soap box now - feels better to vent!

wendyn on 5/18/02 at 18:38 (084495)

I would love to go Julie, but that whole overseas flying thing is a whole new issue. One day!

Re: Soap boxes and all....

Rich on 5/18/02 at 21:08 (084524)

When I went into the jewelry manufacturing, my trainer was the absolute best! Thanks to her, I was able to step into management (my background) within six months! But, they do run back and forth!!

Do you have access to ice during the day? Keep a gel pack handy if you can! We have a local tv celebrity here that is extremly short. She carries around her own box for speaking engagements! Wonderful lady. I can see you carrying around your own mat! Picture that!!

Soap boxes are okay, but please, why don't you sit? LOL

Richelle

Julie on 5/19/02 at 05:49 (084547)

Wendy, I know exactly what you mean. Time certainly makes a difference with these public speaking fears - time, and the appreciation we -hopefully - get when we've done a good job of it. I used to be terrified when I was still in publishing and had to make presentations at sales conferences. I encouraged myself by telling myself that however scared I was, I knew more about what I was talking about than the sales reps, and that they were there because they needed to know what I knew. The same applies to your training courses, and I'm sure that everyone who attends them gets a lot out of them!

wendyn on 5/19/02 at 09:13 (084562)

Thanks Julie, actually I do remind myself that if I get a little lost with what I'm saying - they (the students) really have no idea. As long as I figure it out and get things back on track, it's okay.

The hardest thing for me is that I can't really speak with notes. I do much better off the top of my head, but I try to use notes to make sure I haven't missed anything.

We are studying rhetoric in a communications class I'm taking, it's quite fascinating. I think I'd like to take a class strictly on that.

wendyn on 5/19/02 at 09:21 (084565)

I should always sit on that soap box...I do tend to forget. Thanks for the reminder!!! Actually, with my coordination I would fall OFF a soap box if I every tried to physically stand on one.

My legs and feet hurt an awful lot today. It feels like I have glass inside my bunions, and my shins feel like someone whacked them with a baseball bat.

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 00:55 (084250)

m, this sounds an awful lot like my first pod. are you sure you don't live near portland, maine?

i think you handled him well -- but keep on pushing for that pt if you feel you need it.

it took me 8 MONTHS to realize my first pod was being a jerk when he didn't analyze my gait, didn't look at my shoes, didn't recommend any stretching or rest, blew off my question about pt ('might make it worse'), and tried to hurry me into EPF surgery.

it was only after i found heelspurs.com that the obvious became clear to me: my pod was not the least bit interested in dealing with a pf case that hadn't cleared up in 3 months.

i hope your regular pod is better than this replacement you saw.

nancy

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 07:37 (084267)

Nancy N and Nancy S (and anyone else) how far are you from Cambridge Mass? There is a possibility (a remote one at this point) that I may be there some time in the fall.

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 07:39 (084268)

Mahatmelissama, your story sounds all too common...when will your other pod be back?

Rich on 5/17/02 at 07:50 (084270)

After sixteen years in management...I know that attitude look too! I can't stand it when medical personnel pull it! It's bad enough when a salesperson tries to pretend that you the customer is important. But in your doctor's office, you really are the customer!

I can't believe he has pf and still blew you off....must be one of those 'barely hurts' stages? LOL

Richelle

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 07:51 (084271)

wendy! i'm only two hours from cambridge! want to come up and spend some time by the ocean in a historic, seedy resort town? if not, i'll gladly hop a train.

nancy

Re: My pod had a baby...

Mahatmelissama on 5/17/02 at 09:49 (084292)

and God only knows when she will want to come back. She IS WAY BETTER cause at least she cares! The sad thing is yeah, my story is way too common. Medical Care in the USA is going down hill since the HMOs make the docs crank out patients.

Re: Sounds like your pod and this one are brothers...

Mahatmelissama on 5/17/02 at 09:56 (084293)

They must hang out at the country club, having gin tonics and writing up lists of 'ways to blow your customers out of your office'.

I was able to not cry this time since I knew I know that only God can heal me through time, stretching, losing weight...mostly time in orthodics. My body has to heal itself. I also take vitamins...minerals and 2 aleve 2 times a day. I also ice...

If I was dependent on this doctor to get better, I would have probably lost it like I did once in the past. You DO NOT WANT ME TO GO OFF ON YOU...I may look like a pushover (and am most of the time) but I have a lot of pent up frustration with the system....and have a forked tongue. I have learned in the past though it is useless...you just look foolish to them and they congradulate themselves...pat themselves on the back for getting rid of you anyway since you are 'bad tempered'.

I hope I never grow so cold in my heart for people who have PF if I am ever cured. I would rather have PF than a cold heart like that!

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 12:37 (084309)

Nancy - how far are you from Manchester - are you the same direction away from Boston?

If I do go, it will be on a training course for work. The course would be 2 to 4 days, but I would try to tack on a few more to visit relatives in Manchester. I also have a cousin who lives right in Boston.

nancy s. on 5/17/02 at 15:48 (084349)

yes, wendy, i'm the same direction away from boston as manchester. manchester is right on the coast (as you know, remember we discussed Singing Beach long ago?), so the route is a bit different, but the direction is basically the same, and the time probably a bit shorter from here to manchester.

when it comes to boston and cambridge, boston is more a straight shot for me. i can just get on the train or bus and land right in the middle of it. cambridge requires that, plus a few T (subway) changes. but not a big deal.

n.

wendyn on 5/17/02 at 20:50 (084395)

Sounds promising Nancy....if and when I get the official word that we're going...I will let you know.

I have not mentioned my 'little' flying phobia to my new boss.

Oh well. I'm afraid of public speaking and they make me do that too.

It would be AWESOME to finally meet you!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/18/02 at 07:04 (084427)

I think most people feel the same way as you do about public speaking. I joined Toastmasters and it really helps. The more you speak, the easier it becomes. Besides, the other people are nice and it's fun; people give you only positive, constructive feedback and they aren't negative so that helps. You get ribbons and trophies to display in your office. It's something to keep in mind, if sometime in your life you have the time for it.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/18/02 at 07:38 (084432)

Thanks Carole - the public speaking I'm learning to deal with, it's that little flying thing that's a problem.

However, I have a another thing about not letting this phobia run my life - if I have to go somewhere - I go. This time it would make a difference in my career, so turning it down will not be an option.

Re: fear of flying

Carole C in NOLA on 5/18/02 at 07:53 (084434)

I've got no suggestions regarding fear of flying. It doesn't bother me although I was terrified when I had to fly right after Sept 11th. I guess that's the terrorists' objective: to terrify.

My own phobia is fear of heights (other than in planes, which don't seem to trigger it). I don't like being near the windows in tall buildings, and so on. It hasn't really affected my life very much, so I haven't tried to deal with it. I does help me understand phobias, though.

My dissertation defense some years ago was to include an hour talking about my research, that anyone could attend. There was only one time during the whole semester that my esteemed committee could all be there, and at that time the only room available was on the 10th floor in a corner. So, I had no choice; I had to do it then, and there.

Two of the four walls were glass from floor to ceiling which was terrifying to me. I might as well have been standing on the edge of a cliff, but I knew that I just HAD to do it. I was so 'pumped' that the fear of heights in addition to the fear of public speaking just heightened my state of alertness and slowed down time a bit. I did a lot better than I thought I could. So in that case, my phobias actually helped.

Carole C

nancy s. on 5/18/02 at 09:07 (084435)

it'd be awesome for me, too, wendy! keep me posted.

i still won't fly without general anesthesia. that means, of course, that i don't fly. but more power to YOU!

nancy

JudyS on 5/18/02 at 11:31 (084444)

Geez Melissa - and to think that you missed Star Wars for that guy! Your visit sounds much like a couple that I've had with Pods in my HMO - the fact is that they're out of answers for you, as far as they're concerned, so they're frustrated and want to just get rid of you. Well, the other fact is that there is always an answer even if it takes time to find it.
The most frustrating moment I had was when one of my HMO Pods looked at me and said 'I guess you'll just have to learn to live with it.'
Well, that was akin to waving a red flag in front of a bull!

Re: "I guess you'll have to learn to live with it"

Sharon W on 5/18/02 at 11:36 (084446)

Judy,

When your HMO pod said that, what did you DO?

-- Sharon

Rich on 5/18/02 at 15:24 (084460)

Wendy...all I can say is Good Luck! LOL, been there and done that!

I went to work for a very large local jewelry manufacturer and started climbing the corporate ladder. Not long after I landed in a management position I found out I had to attend a trade show...in Nashville!

Well, this little girl from Louisiana had never been away from home before, much less fly!! I was terrified but didn't want to admit it to my boss. I was partnered with a company director and the first thing he did once we were on this huge jet in New Orleans was make the sign of the cross and start praying! I was ready to get off right then and there!!

I made it to the show and did my job...the bonus? Our accomodations were the OpryLand Hotel for a week. I swear I never left the hotel and never ate in the same place more than twice! I had a wonderful atrium room and really enjoyed myself. During my employment there I flew several times and got to see places I know I never would have....Beale Street, the Peabody Hotel, Memphis....St. Louis (same time as the Pope's visit), Nashville...to name a few.

As for public speaking...that did come out with my boss. His solution? I had to develop and host with another Public Speaker Scaredy, a game show during our monthly sales meetings based upon our products and services. We had to motivate our sales employees to participate to win Friday afternoons off with pay! That sure cured me....I'll never again tell anyone voluntarily that I am afraid of public speaking!

My pastor even got in on this and asked/volunteered me to say the weekly announcements at church....using a microphone, in front of the congregation! That was even harder!! LOL

We were scared to fly after 9/11 but had a scheduled trip to Puerto Vallarta through our family business. My mother wouldn't even speak to me about it, but we went anyway. Security was so tight that our nerves were put at ease and we had a great trip. Airline personnel were very friendly and working hard to ease our fears.

Sorry this was so long...I got carried away. Anyway...good luck and just picture your audience in their underwear! LOL

Richelle

Julie on 5/18/02 at 16:35 (084471)

Hey, Wendy - maybe you'll get to Cambridge, England some other day? That's only 50 miles from me.

wendyn on 5/18/02 at 18:26 (084492)

Actually - the public speaking thing is really coming along.

I was afraid of it before I did it. For the last two years I've had to teach the odd course to employees..and it's really not so bad. I'm a pretty yappy person (ya think?), and I like to help people learn...so it's really okay.

For me, I believe that I can have all the little fears and phobias I want...but I won't allow them to interfere with my life (or my career). I can't. So, if I need to fly - I will fly. My new boss has no idea that I have this 'little' problem...I don't intend to mention it but I'm sure someone will if they hear I'm going.

I teach the classes, so I guess that's why she assumed I was okay with public speaking. Part of my new job will be giving presentations to groups...so I guess I'm no longer afraid of public speaking (simply wouldn't work would it?)

I have family in Boston and Manchester - and I may just get a chance to meet some of our famous heelspurs.com addicts. That alone would make the trip worth it. There I go getting my hopes up!

On a different note, my ankle and foot are killing me today. Too many days spent standing - and walking on that stupid concrete floor (although I did have the mat for the second day).

I considered mentioning to the training coordinator that she might ponder the potential worker's compensation repercussions of knowingly putting an employee in a situation that you fully realize could have impacts on their health and well being. Especially when the employee requests accommodations to mitigate the risk - and those measures aren't followed up.

There, I'll get off my soap box now - feels better to vent!

wendyn on 5/18/02 at 18:38 (084495)

I would love to go Julie, but that whole overseas flying thing is a whole new issue. One day!

Rich on 5/18/02 at 21:08 (084524)

When I went into the jewelry manufacturing, my trainer was the absolute best! Thanks to her, I was able to step into management (my background) within six months! But, they do run back and forth!!

Do you have access to ice during the day? Keep a gel pack handy if you can! We have a local tv celebrity here that is extremly short. She carries around her own box for speaking engagements! Wonderful lady. I can see you carrying around your own mat! Picture that!!

Soap boxes are okay, but please, why don't you sit? LOL

Richelle

Julie on 5/19/02 at 05:49 (084547)

Wendy, I know exactly what you mean. Time certainly makes a difference with these public speaking fears - time, and the appreciation we -hopefully - get when we've done a good job of it. I used to be terrified when I was still in publishing and had to make presentations at sales conferences. I encouraged myself by telling myself that however scared I was, I knew more about what I was talking about than the sales reps, and that they were there because they needed to know what I knew. The same applies to your training courses, and I'm sure that everyone who attends them gets a lot out of them!

wendyn on 5/19/02 at 09:13 (084562)

Thanks Julie, actually I do remind myself that if I get a little lost with what I'm saying - they (the students) really have no idea. As long as I figure it out and get things back on track, it's okay.

The hardest thing for me is that I can't really speak with notes. I do much better off the top of my head, but I try to use notes to make sure I haven't missed anything.

We are studying rhetoric in a communications class I'm taking, it's quite fascinating. I think I'd like to take a class strictly on that.

wendyn on 5/19/02 at 09:21 (084565)

I should always sit on that soap box...I do tend to forget. Thanks for the reminder!!! Actually, with my coordination I would fall OFF a soap box if I every tried to physically stand on one.

My legs and feet hurt an awful lot today. It feels like I have glass inside my bunions, and my shins feel like someone whacked them with a baseball bat.