Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

be careful/get the right diagnosis

Posted by Betty S. on 5/17/02 at 12:06 (084303)

I live in the boston area, good medical care is thought to be one of our industries. I have struggled with foot pain and to this date over a few years I have seen 5 foot doctors, my internist and by this week three orthopedists. The last stop was Dr.George Theodore at the Mass General Hospital ,who was on the Today Show ,as he is doing the ESWT in Boston, private pay, 6000 dollars. It was between hiim and Canada . To my shock he said he doesnt believe I have pf at all!!! that he thinks it is maybe peripheral neuropathy. He says ESWt would not work, due to the distribution of my pain, which is more on the upper part of the foot near the toes . To think that all the foot doctors wanted to do a plantar fascia release is so scarey if this man is right. Next step is a neurologist apparently . But the message is: see someone really ethical and keep getting opinions before anything invasive is considered. I have a feeling PN is worse for me in general than PF but I learned a lot .

Re: be careful/get the right diagnosis

Pauline on 5/17/02 at 13:41 (084314)

Betty,
You make a very good case for someone not jumping into surgery as a quick solution to Plantar Fasciitis pain or any other foot pain. I sometimes think people take the workings of their feet for granted and don't realize the complexity of the structures they walk on.

Best of luck.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 13:51 (084322)

Hi

Glad you got the right dx. It is very important to rule out peripheral neuropathy . ESWT is generally for pf at the proximal insertion point of insertion. There needs to be discrete pain the insertion.

BrianG on 5/17/02 at 16:32 (084356)

Hi Betty,

Thank god you finally found someone with ethics! PN is not the worst thing that can happen to you. For a lot of people, it can be kept under control with meds, usually dispensed by a neurologist. Consider yourself a very lucky person today!!!

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:29 (084725)

Incredible!

Neurologist referral is a good idea. Consider a nerve conduction velocity test.
Ed

Pauline on 5/17/02 at 13:41 (084314)

Betty,
You make a very good case for someone not jumping into surgery as a quick solution to Plantar Fasciitis pain or any other foot pain. I sometimes think people take the workings of their feet for granted and don't realize the complexity of the structures they walk on.

Best of luck.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 13:51 (084322)

Hi

Glad you got the right dx. It is very important to rule out peripheral neuropathy . ESWT is generally for pf at the proximal insertion point of insertion. There needs to be discrete pain the insertion.

BrianG on 5/17/02 at 16:32 (084356)

Hi Betty,

Thank god you finally found someone with ethics! PN is not the worst thing that can happen to you. For a lot of people, it can be kept under control with meds, usually dispensed by a neurologist. Consider yourself a very lucky person today!!!

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:29 (084725)

Incredible!

Neurologist referral is a good idea. Consider a nerve conduction velocity test.
Ed