Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Pain

Posted by Monte on 5/17/02 at 20:19 (084389)

I am one week post ESWT with the Donier. I have developed a pulling pain under my left foot when ever I raise my leg or bend over at the waist. I never had this problem before. I also feel a jolt down to the big toe. I also felt that jolt when I got the ankle block for the procedure. Now, my left foot feels like a bad cramp slicing down the middle of the foot (on the sole). It hurts very bad. I am taking 800MG of Motrin 2x a daily. Just started that. The right foot has no bad after effect from the ESWT treatment. Just the normal post treatment flare up. I need to know what this is because it is making me nervous and scared. It hurts more than my normal PF. I had the treatment in my heel and along the arch. COuld it be a combination of irritation from the nerve block injection and bruising from the shock waves? The injection site is also sore. Should I be icing the bottom of the foot and the ankle? Please help soon. Thanks

Re: New Pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:59 (084399)

Contact your doc to discuss the symptoms.

One possibility is some bruising or irritation of the posterior tibial nerve, provided that a posterior tibial block was done. That may pass with time but could be treated with muscle relaxers and physical therapy modalities such as iontophoresis.
Ed

Monte on 5/17/02 at 21:35 (084404)

Yes...the injection was into the tarsal nerve (post tibial nerve) that is what the doctor called it. Thanks for the response.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 21:52 (084405)

Hi

I think it could be a combination of the treatment. nerve block . ICe if the pain is bad. Take the motrin and give this some time. I wish I come tell you exactly when this will go away. If it is from the nerve block, should be gone within 10-14 days.

Try not to bend the foot.

Carmen on 5/18/02 at 20:16 (084512)

Just curious...if he's not supposed to bend how can he stretch the fascia?
Just wondering if this is normal?

DR Zuckerman on 5/18/02 at 20:34 (084517)

Hi

You can't stretch the fascia. It is impossible. You want to eliminate the pull while it is healing and not bending will do this

Carmen on 5/19/02 at 18:55 (084610)

Gotcha! I forgot about the earlier discussion about the fascia not stretching...my bad. :o)

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/17/02 at 20:59 (084399)

Contact your doc to discuss the symptoms.

One possibility is some bruising or irritation of the posterior tibial nerve, provided that a posterior tibial block was done. That may pass with time but could be treated with muscle relaxers and physical therapy modalities such as iontophoresis.
Ed

Monte on 5/17/02 at 21:35 (084404)

Yes...the injection was into the tarsal nerve (post tibial nerve) that is what the doctor called it. Thanks for the response.

DR Zuckerman on 5/17/02 at 21:52 (084405)

Hi

I think it could be a combination of the treatment. nerve block . ICe if the pain is bad. Take the motrin and give this some time. I wish I come tell you exactly when this will go away. If it is from the nerve block, should be gone within 10-14 days.

Try not to bend the foot.

Carmen on 5/18/02 at 20:16 (084512)

Just curious...if he's not supposed to bend how can he stretch the fascia?
Just wondering if this is normal?

DR Zuckerman on 5/18/02 at 20:34 (084517)

Hi

You can't stretch the fascia. It is impossible. You want to eliminate the pull while it is healing and not bending will do this

Carmen on 5/19/02 at 18:55 (084610)

Gotcha! I forgot about the earlier discussion about the fascia not stretching...my bad. :o)