Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about post PF release surgery

Posted by Tony S. on 5/17/02 at 22:13 (084407)

I was diagnosed with bi-lateral PF last year and had surgery on my right foot this past Feb. 7th. Canceled surgery on the left because I couldn't tell any difference after surgery in my right foot. Both feet still feel exactly the same. MY QUESTION: Does this suggest that plantar faciattis is not my problem. My symptoms and pain change often, but never from one foot to the other. They BOTH either feel decent, or they BOTH hurt, or they BOTH feel fine. A neurologist said I have Mild Perip. Neuropathy. Can this cause same symptoms as PF ??

Re: Question about post PF release surgery

Lara T on 5/19/02 at 09:59 (084567)

I have bilateral PF also. And the symptoms and discomfort change together just as you describe (there is a thread in the archives about (curious) bilateral symptoms that might be of interest). I asked a doctor about this (actually a few) and was told 1) it's in your head, 2) you aren't recognizing what is happening, and the one I believe and like best 3) who knows - the body is a complicated computer.

I have had my symptoms labeled as PF and PN (I think because it has lasted so long, and perhaps also because at it's worse I have dorsal nevre pain to add to the PF), and whatever the label, I believe the symptoms are caused by TTS. I have been offered TTS release surgery - which I have not yet chosen as I get sufficient relief from rest, compression socks, occasional foot soaks when it is at it's worst, and changing my lifestyle (to eliminate tennis, karate, walks in the woods & malls, etc and replace it with more sedentary interests) that I have a nice life.

Looking up the definition of PN in a Merck Manual:
'A syndrome of senory, motor, reflex and vasomator symptoms, singly or in any combination, produced by disease of a single nerve (. . ) two or more nerves in separate areas, or many nerves similtaneously. . . .There are numerous causes, from illness to injury, including compression and entrapment neuropathies. . . . . Neuropathy is a symptom complex, rather than a disease entity, and the cause must be sought. . . . '

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 15:16 (084688)

You are posting on the TTS board but assume your surgery was for PF? Peripheral neuropathy generally will not mimic PF pain but TT can.
Ed

Lara T on 5/19/02 at 09:59 (084567)

I have bilateral PF also. And the symptoms and discomfort change together just as you describe (there is a thread in the archives about (curious) bilateral symptoms that might be of interest). I asked a doctor about this (actually a few) and was told 1) it's in your head, 2) you aren't recognizing what is happening, and the one I believe and like best 3) who knows - the body is a complicated computer.

I have had my symptoms labeled as PF and PN (I think because it has lasted so long, and perhaps also because at it's worse I have dorsal nevre pain to add to the PF), and whatever the label, I believe the symptoms are caused by TTS. I have been offered TTS release surgery - which I have not yet chosen as I get sufficient relief from rest, compression socks, occasional foot soaks when it is at it's worst, and changing my lifestyle (to eliminate tennis, karate, walks in the woods & malls, etc and replace it with more sedentary interests) that I have a nice life.

Looking up the definition of PN in a Merck Manual:
'A syndrome of senory, motor, reflex and vasomator symptoms, singly or in any combination, produced by disease of a single nerve (. . ) two or more nerves in separate areas, or many nerves similtaneously. . . .There are numerous causes, from illness to injury, including compression and entrapment neuropathies. . . . . Neuropathy is a symptom complex, rather than a disease entity, and the cause must be sought. . . . '

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 15:16 (084688)

You are posting on the TTS board but assume your surgery was for PF? Peripheral neuropathy generally will not mimic PF pain but TT can.
Ed