Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantars Wart or Callus?

Posted by Connie P on 5/18/02 at 10:07 (084437)

I have had a spot on the bottom of my foot since 1974. It gets a thick callus on it, when i cut it down, there is a very white circle there. I figure this must be the seed of the wart. I have tried everything, and can't get anything to take it away.
The pain is unbearable at times.
have any suggestions?
Thanks

Re: Plantars Wart or Callus?

kay on 5/18/02 at 18:58 (084496)

1974??? if it hurts that bad why don't you go to the doc and get rid of it?

kay

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/19/02 at 15:06 (084591)

Kay is 100% correct. If you've had a problem since 1974 you should certainly see a podiatrist or dermatologist to have the problem evaluated. There are many ways a doctor determines whether a lesion is a wart or something else, and providing that information on-line would be an injustice, since the docs on this site don't have your foot to examine. By the way, warts do not have 'seeds', so take the smartest approach and get advice from a doctor that can examine your foot.

Kevin I on 5/19/02 at 19:00 (084612)

Connie,
Hard to imagine you lived w/ this for 28 years. Most definitely sounds like a wart. I had 2 treatments w/ a laser and gone for good. You must keep the people at Gillete and Bic happy. Feels great for a few days after you shave it down but comes back with a vengeance.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/20/02 at 07:50 (084653)

It is very unusual for a wart to be present for 20+ years. The average wart will resolve on it's own, with no treatment in approximately 18 months. Obviously this is a general statement and there are always exceptions. The bottom line is that Connie must be evaluated by a doctor to allow a correct treatment plan to be initiated.

kay on 5/18/02 at 18:58 (084496)

1974??? if it hurts that bad why don't you go to the doc and get rid of it?

kay

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/19/02 at 15:06 (084591)

Kay is 100% correct. If you've had a problem since 1974 you should certainly see a podiatrist or dermatologist to have the problem evaluated. There are many ways a doctor determines whether a lesion is a wart or something else, and providing that information on-line would be an injustice, since the docs on this site don't have your foot to examine. By the way, warts do not have 'seeds', so take the smartest approach and get advice from a doctor that can examine your foot.

Kevin I on 5/19/02 at 19:00 (084612)

Connie,
Hard to imagine you lived w/ this for 28 years. Most definitely sounds like a wart. I had 2 treatments w/ a laser and gone for good. You must keep the people at Gillete and Bic happy. Feels great for a few days after you shave it down but comes back with a vengeance.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/20/02 at 07:50 (084653)

It is very unusual for a wart to be present for 20+ years. The average wart will resolve on it's own, with no treatment in approximately 18 months. Obviously this is a general statement and there are always exceptions. The bottom line is that Connie must be evaluated by a doctor to allow a correct treatment plan to be initiated.