Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Timing for 2nd ESWT for plantar fasciitis

Posted by PaulF on 5/18/02 at 23:01 (084532)

Hi Dr Z or other Dr's,

I posted this a while ago, and I read Dr Z's response about having a second ESWT, but I wanted to find out if there is any benefit to waiting longer than the current 9-1/2 months before having another go. I've heard that the longer you've had PF, the better the success rates for ESWT. Should I postpone ESWT?

I had ESWT with the Siemens Sonocur last May for PF on the medial insertion point of the plantar fascia (both feet). The results were great, and my pain in that area is gone.

Two months after my ESWT, as I started to increase my activity levels, I noticed pain and tenderness at the middle insertion point of the plantar fascia. I was then treated at that spot with ESWT, but the ESWT made it worse for the next three months, and although it has settled down, nine months laster it is still painful when I'm on my feet for more than three or four hours a day. I went in for an exam in February, and the explanation was that the ESWT treatment for the middle insertion point should not have been done right away. It was done when the area was still inflamed and did not have enough scar tissue. An ultrasound in February showed that there was additional scar tissue in that area.

Re: Timing for 2nd ESWT for plantar fasciitis

DR Zuckerman on 5/19/02 at 06:51 (084550)

Hi

I would go for the second treatment at the middle insertion. Time sure has passed long enough.

Re: Timing for 2nd ESWT for plantar fasciitis

DR Zuckerman on 5/19/02 at 06:51 (084550)

Hi

I would go for the second treatment at the middle insertion. Time sure has passed long enough.