Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Found a 'proper' podiatrist in the UK

Posted by Andrue on 5/19/02 at 04:35 (084540)

For anyone living in the Banbury area of the UK:

http://www.ashcroftclinic.com

But this only gives contact details, no info.

Seemed to know what she was doing and she's confirmed that my problem is inflamation but that I do appear to be in the final stages of recovery. She recommended rest, ice, anti-inflamatory gel and provided me with some soft, rubbery heel cups. I'm going back in a month's time and if there's not much change they can give me some laser treatment to promote healing.

Re: Found a 'proper' podiatrist in the UK

Andrue on 5/19/02 at 04:39 (084543)

Oh, I forgot to mention that she recommended Ecco shoes.

http://www.ecco-shoes.co.uk

A bit pricey but worth a look.

Julie on 5/19/02 at 04:54 (084544)

Hi Andrue

Thanks for posting the information about your podiatrist. Banbury isn't all that far from Watford, where Rachel lives, so perhaps this is someone she might see if she doesn't want to trek to London to visit mine, and can't find anyone good locally?

Rachel, if you're reading this...

I'd be careful about the Eccos, though. Some of their styles, including the basic Ecco that I wore for years, are much too soft: they bend at the arch, whereas a shoe for PF should bend only at the metatarsal.

Donna SL posted awhile back about an Ecco that IS all right, but I'm afraid I can't remember it's name.

Donna?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/19/02 at 07:13 (084553)

Here's the thread where DonnaSL talks about Ecco shoes:

bbv.cgi?n=81675

I hope that link works. Basically she says that Ecco Receptors are good, and that Ecco 'soft sneakers' are not too bad and there are some other Ecco shoes that are ok, but that one should be careful about Ecco shoes in general because many of them bend too much in the arch area.

If you do a search on Ecco, putting a space before and after the word so that you don't get every post with the word 'reccomend' in it, you will find a lot to read about Ecco shoes. :)

Carole C

Julie on 5/19/02 at 09:13 (084561)

Thanks, Carole. Receptors! That's the one.

Pete R on 5/19/02 at 13:28 (084585)

By laser treatment you mean ESWT ?

How bad is your condition, can you stand for an hour ?

Re: Julie - Please help!!

Yasmin on 5/19/02 at 18:39 (084605)

Julie,

I live in London, and I had PF for year, you mentioned a podartist in London thats good, that u have used, can u give some contact details for them - I would greatly apperciate it!

Thanks
Yasmin

Sandy H. on 5/19/02 at 20:34 (084620)

(email removed) Ron McCulloch. I got his name from Julie and saw him in December. Didn't try to foist orthotics on me, let me try out running shoes including NB854s which I wear now and referred me to a chiropractor which I think has helped me. You can try on shoes at Run&Become on their treadmill and return ones you don't like. He said leg length discrpency is a bit of a problem which subsequent people agreed with but said wasn't sure whether I needed a heel lift which subsequent people agreed may not be a good idea. Very refreshing after other people tell you that you overpronate and he says 'no I'd say there's nothing very wrong biomechanically with your foot (except for the results of the injury).' His orthotics seem very pricey at 200 pounds. I haven't decided whether to try them yet after my nightmare with about three types of orthotics.

Julie on 5/20/02 at 00:52 (084642)

Yasmin, his name is Ron McCulloch. His website: http://www.londonpodiatry.com .

john h on 5/20/02 at 09:45 (084659)

I also have some Eccos. They have a great built in arch support sort of like the Birk. As Julie says the sole tends to be to flexable which is probably not very good for PF. They may have some with stiffer soles that I have not seen.

Re: Sandie and Julie

yasmin on 5/20/02 at 16:45 (084697)

Thanks for the information, much appericiated!

Yasmin

Andrue on 5/21/02 at 12:56 (084774)

No, not ESWT. She didn't offer it then and there so I didn't enquire into it but I think it's just a system for heating up the tissues to promote blood flow. I've heard of physio. therapists using it.

Andrue on 5/19/02 at 04:39 (084543)

Oh, I forgot to mention that she recommended Ecco shoes.

http://www.ecco-shoes.co.uk

A bit pricey but worth a look.

Julie on 5/19/02 at 04:54 (084544)

Hi Andrue

Thanks for posting the information about your podiatrist. Banbury isn't all that far from Watford, where Rachel lives, so perhaps this is someone she might see if she doesn't want to trek to London to visit mine, and can't find anyone good locally?

Rachel, if you're reading this...

I'd be careful about the Eccos, though. Some of their styles, including the basic Ecco that I wore for years, are much too soft: they bend at the arch, whereas a shoe for PF should bend only at the metatarsal.

Donna SL posted awhile back about an Ecco that IS all right, but I'm afraid I can't remember it's name.

Donna?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/19/02 at 07:13 (084553)

Here's the thread where DonnaSL talks about Ecco shoes:

bbv.cgi?n=81675

I hope that link works. Basically she says that Ecco Receptors are good, and that Ecco 'soft sneakers' are not too bad and there are some other Ecco shoes that are ok, but that one should be careful about Ecco shoes in general because many of them bend too much in the arch area.

If you do a search on Ecco, putting a space before and after the word so that you don't get every post with the word 'reccomend' in it, you will find a lot to read about Ecco shoes. :)

Carole C

Julie on 5/19/02 at 09:13 (084561)

Thanks, Carole. Receptors! That's the one.

Pete R on 5/19/02 at 13:28 (084585)

By laser treatment you mean ESWT ?

How bad is your condition, can you stand for an hour ?

Yasmin on 5/19/02 at 18:39 (084605)

Julie,

I live in London, and I had PF for year, you mentioned a podartist in London thats good, that u have used, can u give some contact details for them - I would greatly apperciate it!

Thanks
Yasmin

Sandy H. on 5/19/02 at 20:34 (084620)

(email removed) Ron McCulloch. I got his name from Julie and saw him in December. Didn't try to foist orthotics on me, let me try out running shoes including NB854s which I wear now and referred me to a chiropractor which I think has helped me. You can try on shoes at Run&Become on their treadmill and return ones you don't like. He said leg length discrpency is a bit of a problem which subsequent people agreed with but said wasn't sure whether I needed a heel lift which subsequent people agreed may not be a good idea. Very refreshing after other people tell you that you overpronate and he says 'no I'd say there's nothing very wrong biomechanically with your foot (except for the results of the injury).' His orthotics seem very pricey at 200 pounds. I haven't decided whether to try them yet after my nightmare with about three types of orthotics.

Julie on 5/20/02 at 00:52 (084642)

Yasmin, his name is Ron McCulloch. His website: http://www.londonpodiatry.com .

john h on 5/20/02 at 09:45 (084659)

I also have some Eccos. They have a great built in arch support sort of like the Birk. As Julie says the sole tends to be to flexable which is probably not very good for PF. They may have some with stiffer soles that I have not seen.

Re: Sandie and Julie

yasmin on 5/20/02 at 16:45 (084697)

Thanks for the information, much appericiated!

Yasmin

Andrue on 5/21/02 at 12:56 (084774)

No, not ESWT. She didn't offer it then and there so I didn't enquire into it but I think it's just a system for heating up the tissues to promote blood flow. I've heard of physio. therapists using it.