Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Comeback?

Posted by Ray H. on 5/19/02 at 12:49 (084584)

I suffered a partially torn achilles tendon back in September of 2001. I was cleared several months ago to resume light activity. I have shot some basketball and walked as well as biked but am missing the competition of our weekly basketball game. My pod told me that there is a significant risk of rupturing my achilles should I go back to the running and jumping of competitive basketball. I am 46 but he said that my feet look like the feet of an 85 year old man. Any older guys or girls out there who have came fully back from this type of injury? Is it worth the gamble to try basketball again or should I resolve myself to activity that puts less strain on the achilles?

Re: Comeback?

J. King on 5/19/02 at 14:50 (084589)

Considering the risks it might be wise to do something that is not going to hurt your ankles and feet anymore. I am 52 and my feet are shot. I am disabled to an extent. I don't even dream about running or jumping. I dream about walking. I don't think it is worth the risk of being crippled up to shoot baskets. I lost my job over my feet. Now I am sitting at home on disability. Not good. You don't know what you have until it is gone.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 15:10 (084685)

I have MANY patients who have completely recovered from such injuries and are back to their normal activities. Be sure that you have normal (or even better than normal) ankle dorsiflexion as a tight achilles can predispose one to tears. Also, learn protective taping techniques to prevent re-injury.
Ed

J. King on 5/19/02 at 14:50 (084589)

Considering the risks it might be wise to do something that is not going to hurt your ankles and feet anymore. I am 52 and my feet are shot. I am disabled to an extent. I don't even dream about running or jumping. I dream about walking. I don't think it is worth the risk of being crippled up to shoot baskets. I lost my job over my feet. Now I am sitting at home on disability. Not good. You don't know what you have until it is gone.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 15:10 (084685)

I have MANY patients who have completely recovered from such injuries and are back to their normal activities. Be sure that you have normal (or even better than normal) ankle dorsiflexion as a tight achilles can predispose one to tears. Also, learn protective taping techniques to prevent re-injury.
Ed