Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

compounding ibuprofen question to the Docs

Posted by Carolyn F. on 5/20/02 at 01:46 (084643)

What do you think would happen if I powderized some Ibuprofen and then mixed it with some foot lotion. Safe to try for the heck of it?

Re: compounding ibuprofen question to the Docs

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 14:58 (084680)

It is a possibility but topical ibuprofen already exists as Dolgit cream.
It is on this site.
Ed

Ellen J. on 5/20/02 at 17:52 (084703)

I called around to different pharmacies until I found one that did compounding. I then asked them if they could compound an anti-inflammatory/cream or gel combination. They said yes, and what they suggested was something like Piroxican or some such name (I wrote it down and then lost it) combined with cream or gel. They said I would need a doctor's prescription for it.
Just a thought if you decide not to try the Dolgit, though the Dolgit might be made to penetrate better, I don't know.
Ellen

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:03 (084717)

Dolgit works well. I have had compounding pharmacists make stronger stuff than Dolgit but the pharmacists work makes the price considerably higher.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 14:58 (084680)

It is a possibility but topical ibuprofen already exists as Dolgit cream.
It is on this site.
Ed

Ellen J. on 5/20/02 at 17:52 (084703)

I called around to different pharmacies until I found one that did compounding. I then asked them if they could compound an anti-inflammatory/cream or gel combination. They said yes, and what they suggested was something like Piroxican or some such name (I wrote it down and then lost it) combined with cream or gel. They said I would need a doctor's prescription for it.
Just a thought if you decide not to try the Dolgit, though the Dolgit might be made to penetrate better, I don't know.
Ellen

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:03 (084717)

Dolgit works well. I have had compounding pharmacists make stronger stuff than Dolgit but the pharmacists work makes the price considerably higher.
Ed