Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ultrasound

Posted by Pete R on 5/20/02 at 05:01 (084645)

Will an ultrasound done as part of an ESWT treatment show the exact point of inflammation ? Will it show a plantar tear ?

Re: Ultrasound

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 14:58 (084681)

It can show both.
Ed

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/21/02 at 05:36 (084748)

Hi Pete:

I teach ultrasound imaging to doctors. The ultrasound uses sound to image the soft tissue. It ill show tears, inflammation, blood clots, benign soft tissue growthsand anything else that may be involved with the soft tissue. We can even measure the exact area where the inflammation or tear is.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/02 at 18:57 (084805)

John:

Which unit are you currently using in your office?

Ed

Dr. J. Cione on 5/22/02 at 20:09 (084929)

Yes, that is why the succes rate for ESWT on the DOrnier Unit, which has the ultrasound unit attached to the shock wave unit, is over 90% in the most recent studies. I have found my patients have been responding much more positively with the Dornier Unit overall.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/23/02 at 20:28 (085036)

Hi Ed:

I have a Medison Sonoace. I have also used the Shimazdu 350XL. The linear transducer on the Shimazdu does produce a clearer image. I love imaging.

Dr. john Cozzarelli

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/02 at 20:30 (085154)

Thanks. I have the Universal SA-600. I saw some new units at the ACFAS convention this February. The prices keep coming down-- there really is no reason why every podiatrist should not consider owning one. It is a great modality.

Just had a referral today on a 20 year old with an eversion sprain, treated by his PCP with NSAIDs without results. I immediately reached for my ultrasound to find TPD with a tib. posterior tendon severely attenuated near the navicular, casted him in inversion. Much better than having to send him out for an MRI and wait for results...
Regards,
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/02 at 20:31 (085155)

Which unit are you comparing the Dornier to -- the Ossatron?
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 14:58 (084681)

It can show both.
Ed

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/21/02 at 05:36 (084748)

Hi Pete:

I teach ultrasound imaging to doctors. The ultrasound uses sound to image the soft tissue. It ill show tears, inflammation, blood clots, benign soft tissue growthsand anything else that may be involved with the soft tissue. We can even measure the exact area where the inflammation or tear is.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/02 at 18:57 (084805)

John:

Which unit are you currently using in your office?

Ed

Dr. J. Cione on 5/22/02 at 20:09 (084929)

Yes, that is why the succes rate for ESWT on the DOrnier Unit, which has the ultrasound unit attached to the shock wave unit, is over 90% in the most recent studies. I have found my patients have been responding much more positively with the Dornier Unit overall.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/23/02 at 20:28 (085036)

Hi Ed:

I have a Medison Sonoace. I have also used the Shimazdu 350XL. The linear transducer on the Shimazdu does produce a clearer image. I love imaging.

Dr. john Cozzarelli

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/02 at 20:30 (085154)

Thanks. I have the Universal SA-600. I saw some new units at the ACFAS convention this February. The prices keep coming down-- there really is no reason why every podiatrist should not consider owning one. It is a great modality.

Just had a referral today on a 20 year old with an eversion sprain, treated by his PCP with NSAIDs without results. I immediately reached for my ultrasound to find TPD with a tib. posterior tendon severely attenuated near the navicular, casted him in inversion. Much better than having to send him out for an MRI and wait for results...
Regards,
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/02 at 20:31 (085155)

Which unit are you comparing the Dornier to -- the Ossatron?
Ed