Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cuboid Syndrome

Posted by judyml on 5/20/02 at 17:32 (084701)

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of cuboid syndrome? Would you feel a swelling in mid lateral portion of the arch which is also very painful when you press it? It is sort of below the 4th metatarsal.
Does cuboid syndrome also send pain up the lateral ankle and cause it to feel very tight?
Thanks
Judy

Re: Cuboid Syndrome

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 18:46 (084711)

Cuboid syndrome involves pain on the outside border of the foot or where the heel bone meets the outside of the arch. It can be a complication of PF release procedures. Pain often can run up the outside of the ankle.

Treatment is via calcaneo-cuboid joint manipulation, PT, taping, special orthtotics, calcaneo-cuboid joint injection.
Ed

judyml on 5/20/02 at 19:01 (084716)

Can it also be a result of plantar fascitis pain? I am having this problem in my left foot which has never been operated on. I had the open PF on my right foot about 9 months ago and it is STILL not right. I still have alot of 'tingling and tenderness' along the lateral part of my foot. I find that when I 'buddy tape' my little toe to the 4th toe, it gives me relief when I walk. My little toe has been extremely sensitive since my surgery. My right foot is also very tight around the ankle area. My physician told me that I had developed cuboid syndrome in the operated foot which he fixed by manipulation, but since I have not yet had the left foot operated on, I was not sure the pain could be cuboid syndrome or not.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:05 (084718)

Many individuals with plantar fasciitis alter their gait in an attempt to decrease pain. One thing that PF sufferers do is to place additional pressure on the outside of their feet in an attempt to minimize pronation. That can lead to cuboid syndrome. Do you have orthotics?
Ed

judyml on 5/20/02 at 19:23 (084723)

I have bought over the counter ones and the place where they are the highest is where I am the most tender. My physician made me these hard blue orthotics after my pf surgery on the right foot but i was never able to use them either because they are too hard. I have spencos but they also bother me. I really do NOT want to have the PF surgery on my left foot because of what I have gone through with the right foot. If you do a search on my name, you can see what I have been through since my August 2001 surgery. It has not been a pleasant trip at all.
Judy

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/02 at 18:54 (084803)

It is not so much the hardness of an orthotic that can prevent its wear but how the orthotic is made. Orthotics made out of firmer materials must be made with more precision since they are less forgiving. Consider a second opinion from a practitioner with a strong biomechanical orientatation.
Ed

lisa k on 5/24/02 at 02:31 (085055)

JUDY,I ALSO AM DEVELOPING THTE SAME PAIN YOU ARE DESCRIBING AFTER A VERY RARE SPONTAAANEOUSPLANTAAR FASCIA COMPLETE TEAR DETACHMENT ,PAIN FIRST NOTICED WAS DIFFERENCE IN MY TOES? WHAAT TYPE OF ORTHODIC DEVICE OR MATERIAL IS RECCOMENDED, DR DAVIS? THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSE

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 18:46 (084711)

Cuboid syndrome involves pain on the outside border of the foot or where the heel bone meets the outside of the arch. It can be a complication of PF release procedures. Pain often can run up the outside of the ankle.

Treatment is via calcaneo-cuboid joint manipulation, PT, taping, special orthtotics, calcaneo-cuboid joint injection.
Ed

judyml on 5/20/02 at 19:01 (084716)

Can it also be a result of plantar fascitis pain? I am having this problem in my left foot which has never been operated on. I had the open PF on my right foot about 9 months ago and it is STILL not right. I still have alot of 'tingling and tenderness' along the lateral part of my foot. I find that when I 'buddy tape' my little toe to the 4th toe, it gives me relief when I walk. My little toe has been extremely sensitive since my surgery. My right foot is also very tight around the ankle area. My physician told me that I had developed cuboid syndrome in the operated foot which he fixed by manipulation, but since I have not yet had the left foot operated on, I was not sure the pain could be cuboid syndrome or not.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/02 at 19:05 (084718)

Many individuals with plantar fasciitis alter their gait in an attempt to decrease pain. One thing that PF sufferers do is to place additional pressure on the outside of their feet in an attempt to minimize pronation. That can lead to cuboid syndrome. Do you have orthotics?
Ed

judyml on 5/20/02 at 19:23 (084723)

I have bought over the counter ones and the place where they are the highest is where I am the most tender. My physician made me these hard blue orthotics after my pf surgery on the right foot but i was never able to use them either because they are too hard. I have spencos but they also bother me. I really do NOT want to have the PF surgery on my left foot because of what I have gone through with the right foot. If you do a search on my name, you can see what I have been through since my August 2001 surgery. It has not been a pleasant trip at all.
Judy

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/02 at 18:54 (084803)

It is not so much the hardness of an orthotic that can prevent its wear but how the orthotic is made. Orthotics made out of firmer materials must be made with more precision since they are less forgiving. Consider a second opinion from a practitioner with a strong biomechanical orientatation.
Ed

lisa k on 5/24/02 at 02:31 (085055)

JUDY,I ALSO AM DEVELOPING THTE SAME PAIN YOU ARE DESCRIBING AFTER A VERY RARE SPONTAAANEOUSPLANTAAR FASCIA COMPLETE TEAR DETACHMENT ,PAIN FIRST NOTICED WAS DIFFERENCE IN MY TOES? WHAAT TYPE OF ORTHODIC DEVICE OR MATERIAL IS RECCOMENDED, DR DAVIS? THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSE