Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Home at last

Posted by Tammie on 5/20/02 at 18:45 (084710)

Well my dear friends It is done I went and am glad I did but still frightened. He agrees with the RSD showed me the color difference and the temp changes the motteling in one foot and not the other. He feels verry certain in this dx. But he also wants to do a few more things!

First he gave me scripts for many meds,Oxicontin ,percecet for breakthrew painStated me on low doses and added neurontin, upped the elevil to 75 mg. I continue with paxil.His treatment plan is this as a starter as he feels we must deal with the pain issue to be able to procede with plan. Told me to not be afraid of the meds as if I indeed follow the plan and am not fearful of taking them I will not be addicted. He tryed very hard to make me understand that it is very important to control the pain NOW if left go it could spread rapidly.

Step 2 is I have to make a appt. with the cleveland clinic for a emg he will be there when done. He was upset that it had not been done BEFORE surgery . It will be done he said.

Step 3 is 3 blocks in sucession, 3 monday mornings in a row. He said that he will go in the side with the help of floriscope? Xray to put in medicine.Said I would be awake but he would give something to relax me. YUCK I am terrified already.

Between all of this we will start a program with pt., only after we have some control with pain.The lump in my foot he said he may have a mri done as he is a bit upset with it, but said it might just be facia?

The appt was a few hours in lenghth and very well done. He is very firm in his treatment plan but very willing to stop and explain and answer any and all questions. He said to make things work the best for me we have to both be involved with the plan and work together and not against. He seemed very upset with the thought of me being scared of meds and wanted to assure me that it was ok and actually needed to help control this pain so as not to spread. I had to sign contracts about the meds and with the Dr. saying I would agree to his plan of treatment and to follow it and not add any medications or take more then was prescribed.He seemed verry smart and truly in knowledge of RSD he explained it several times in depth using a model to show us where the nerves are and how he would inject the medicine.Asked if more questions and said he wanted to see me in 2 weeks and then we can ask any questions we would see how things are at that point making any needed ajustments.

My final thoughts at this time are this, I think he was fair , intelligent and knowledgable, firm, and commited to helping me if I choose this , also he seems as tho he will answer all questions.I am not sure if I feel total trust yet, or feel comfortable.But I do think he is determined to help me in the pain, he stated it is real it is painful and it is ok to seek help for this and he feels I am in the right place! I just am wiped out it was very scary! I need time now to gather my thoughts as I am very scared and kinda feel that it is true now and it is not a if any more, HE finalized the dx. and now I need to accept the terms. Thank you all very much,I am tired now and I am starting my new meds asp as he wanted , so tomorrow I will try to write more! Tonight is for digesting it all!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

Re: Home at last

Carole C in NOLA on 5/20/02 at 19:32 (084726)

Tammie, he sounds pretty good! I think and hope that he is just what you need and that you will be pain free soon.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/20/02 at 19:32 (084727)

The first step to treatment is knowledge and understanding. Now that you have those you can move forward. We all need someone firm in our lives to ground us...maybe this guy is yours....
So glad you have a Dx, a good doctor and a way to get better.
Blessings to you Tammie as you start this next step.

susie c on 5/20/02 at 19:35 (084729)

Tammie, It really sounds like your new Dr is right on track. He seems to be treating you simlar to the way my pain M Dr has precribed treatment for me with the exception of all the meds. I hope that you too can gain some relief on this road we have traveled. I go for block#4 tomorrow and I muct tell you it does'nt even bother me anymore I feel I am gaining in some areas.Keep me posted and if I can help in any way I am here! Susie

Sharon W on 5/20/02 at 19:50 (084732)

Tammie,

I'm SO glad the pain Dr. turned out to be someone who wants to work WITH you and puts as his top priority to control the pain! Of course I know you have had many problems with DRs in the past and it is only natural that you would not completely trust him on the first visit. But his attitude of wanting to work WITH you and being quite willing to answer questions, etc. sure is encouraging! And so is the fact that he wants to see you again in 2 weeks; sounds like he's giving your foot pain the medical attention it needed.

About the Neurontin: I'm sure you were prescribed higher doses than I use but I've been taking it for the last 3 nights and I LOVE it! For me, it takes away that awful burning that kept waking me up at night, and lets me sleep straight through. I hope it will turn out to be a big help for you too... hopefully along with the Oxycontin it should make you a lot more comfortable.

-- Sharon

Janet C on 5/20/02 at 20:20 (084734)

Dear Tammie,

I am so very happy and relieved to hear about this appt! It sounds like this PM Dr. understands all the complexities of RSD/CRPS, and has an appropriate, aggressive, and effective treatment plan for you. This is wonderful news!

I understand that you must be exhausted now, and that all this news is a lot to digest. RSD is a disease in which the pain is affected and increases with stress, so get your rest, and you can e-mail me later with any questions you might have.

I took OxyContin for over a year, and I think it's a very good medication. And I'll be happy to describe the Sympathetic Nerve Blocks for you to help you prepare for them, so that you won't feel so frightened by the procedure.

Congratulations on a bright, new start for your future health!

With Love and Blessings ~ Janet

Laurie R on 5/20/02 at 20:35 (084735)

Dear Tammie , Thank you so much for posting tonight , I know you must be very tired from your appointment . I am so happy to hear that your new doctor listened to you and also answered your questions , that is what a good doctor does...

He sounds like he has a wonderful new plan for you . That is right about RSD , you must get your pain under control first ..

Also it sounds like you have real pain meds now that will help with the RSD , I am really happy to hear this .

If I can help you in any way , please feel free to ask me anything .

Thanks so much to Janet , she helped me to understand the blocks before I had my first one done. Janet knows so much about RSD and has helped me so very much to understand it ..... That is why I always call Janet my Angel , she truly is .....

Much love to you always and I am so happy your appointment is over with and you are going to finally get the right treatment you deserve ....

Laurie R

BrianG on 5/20/02 at 21:09 (084737)

Hi Tammie,

I can't believe how lucky you were to get into a pain clinic that incorporates pain meds into their program. For some people, this is the only thing that gives them relief. I've reminded you many times not to worry about addiction issues. This doctor is right, and compassionate. He realizes the value of the OxyContin in your treatment. The contract you signed is very normal, it protects you, just as much as it does him. You will not abuse your meds, and he will not shut you off for no good reason.

Unlike what you had been taking, it's now very important to take your Oxy on a faily strict schedule. Don't skip any doses, and don't double up, as you'll run out by the end of the month if you do. I bought myself a 7 day pill continer, so that I no longer have to worry about missing a dose.

Are you taking the Oxy 2, or 3 times a day? If you are taking it twice, it may be enogh for you. For a lot of people, the medication in the pills will not last the 12 hours, which will give you a pain spike. This probably is why he gave you the Percocets, for the break through pain. What you want to strive for, is uninterupted pain control during the day. It's actually better to take the OxyContin 3 times a day, than to rely on the break through meds. Don't be afraid to bring this up with your doc, if this happens.

You'll probably have some side effects, most of which will go away in time. One that you'll have to watch is constipation. Did the doctor suggest anything for this. If not, let me know, and I can give you some advice. Lastly, I'm sure he started you on a low dose of the Oxy. All doctors will do this, to make sure your body will tolerate it. You will become accomodated to the dose at some point, and have to ask him to raise the it. It's no big deal, he'll be expecting it. The trick is to put off the increases as long as you can. This will give you plenty of time during your lifetime to tolerate the increases. If your taking so much that your pain is gone, it's too much, believe me. You want to relieve most of the pain, but it will always be there until your healed. It'll remind you not to overdue the physical stuff. Please keep me updated on how the meds are working, I've been there!!! Good luck

BrianG

Janet C on 5/20/02 at 21:10 (084738)

Thank you, Laurie, you know that I feel like you're my Angel, too! And I really like what Tammie said recently, that we're all Angels here, helping eachother!

In Christ's Love ~ Janet

Rich on 5/21/02 at 07:44 (084750)

Thanks for the update Tammie! Sounds like your appt went really well. The doc definetly sounds confident and in control. I hope you can trust him enough to get comfortable. It may take a while, considering your past fears. At least you finally have some answers! Relief of mind is one important factor in your treatment. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

Richelle

Suzanne D on 5/21/02 at 11:50 (084768)

Dear Tammie,

I am just now getting to check the board, and of course I looked first to see how your appointment went yesterday!

It does sound like you have a doctor who is thorough and who has a plan. Both seem to be very important in getting your pain under control and helping you to deal with it in the most effective way.

I am hoping that this is the beginning of a new start for you, Tammie! May each day get better and better for you.

Taqke care,
Suzanne :-)

Re: Thanks

Tammie on 5/21/02 at 12:02 (084769)

Ok I will try answering some now.I feel pretty dopey at this point haha!

He has me on oxy x2 per day and are very low doses he said, I am to take percocet x3 for break threw. I am to take the 75.mg elevil for sleep, and x3 neurontin,synthroid 1 a day, previcid 1 per day I believe I got them all now lol. I find the oxy not to helful, But the percocet makes me feel drowsy and I feel like this right now. He did say not to get to worried at first as my body will adjust and I will feel better then. I hope he is right!

Yes you are right he told me make a sheet with the times and the pills and stick to it and DO NOT skip any lol.Hubby today helped me do this as I am not to well with thinking today.Dr. told me I will get some negitive feedback from people on the meds I take but to ignore it as they have no medical degree and they do not know or understand the need to control this RSD. Nope he did not mention constipation yet lol. I thought I would get a wonderful night of sleep, but that did not happen woke in pain often.

Hubby says we will have to work a better plan on taking the meds so that they will help me sleep. By the way my hubby was with me and the dr. explained the facts about this RSD and there is alot of pain and that anyone who has it or knows it is not ever considered a baby or a hypo (my term) LOL. So hubby was impressed with his taking time to explain to us BOTH. He is being very helpful at this point, he even told me to not worry about house or wash or anything today just sleep and rest as that is what the Dr. told him. After a couple of weeks they are going to add PT if the pain is down.

I need to tell you Brian you are so very helpful and I do appreciate it, I am frightened of so many meds I dont want to be snowed but I do want some pain relief. I am working with it as he has advised me to do. I have so many here to thank but I have a full day to cope with now and I feel very groggy! I am going to lye down for a bit first!

Re: I want to thank all of you for being supportive!

Tammie on 5/21/02 at 12:06 (084770)

I am very drowsy, but felt the need to tell you all I am begining the meds today and well I am trying to comply with the Dr.s orders. Again please to each of you with no one left out THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!

PS Laurie I am so glad to see you with us and I do hope that you are resting and allowing that body of yours to heal!!!!! I must go now as I am in need of a couch. Bye

Rich on 5/21/02 at 21:50 (084824)

Tammy...forget everything but feeling better! Make sure you eat though! Noone will be trying to eat off the floors or inspecting the bathrooms! Accept any and all help offered...you'll know who really means it when they show up!

And so what if people give you neg feedback on the meds....you can pretend you're all doped up and don't have to pay any attention to them!

We want you feeling better!!

I will keep praying....it's just His timing we have to wait on!

Richelle
<><

Necee on 5/21/02 at 22:23 (084826)

Tammie,
I hope that your feeling better, it sounds like your in good hands with this PM Dr and that you feel comfortable with him.
You are a very strong gal and I applaud you for making that first step. I know how hard that was for you.
Take care dear friend, I will continue to pray for you, as well as all my friends here.
Happy trails to you....
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 5/20/02 at 19:32 (084726)

Tammie, he sounds pretty good! I think and hope that he is just what you need and that you will be pain free soon.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/20/02 at 19:32 (084727)

The first step to treatment is knowledge and understanding. Now that you have those you can move forward. We all need someone firm in our lives to ground us...maybe this guy is yours....
So glad you have a Dx, a good doctor and a way to get better.
Blessings to you Tammie as you start this next step.

susie c on 5/20/02 at 19:35 (084729)

Tammie, It really sounds like your new Dr is right on track. He seems to be treating you simlar to the way my pain M Dr has precribed treatment for me with the exception of all the meds. I hope that you too can gain some relief on this road we have traveled. I go for block#4 tomorrow and I muct tell you it does'nt even bother me anymore I feel I am gaining in some areas.Keep me posted and if I can help in any way I am here! Susie

Sharon W on 5/20/02 at 19:50 (084732)

Tammie,

I'm SO glad the pain Dr. turned out to be someone who wants to work WITH you and puts as his top priority to control the pain! Of course I know you have had many problems with DRs in the past and it is only natural that you would not completely trust him on the first visit. But his attitude of wanting to work WITH you and being quite willing to answer questions, etc. sure is encouraging! And so is the fact that he wants to see you again in 2 weeks; sounds like he's giving your foot pain the medical attention it needed.

About the Neurontin: I'm sure you were prescribed higher doses than I use but I've been taking it for the last 3 nights and I LOVE it! For me, it takes away that awful burning that kept waking me up at night, and lets me sleep straight through. I hope it will turn out to be a big help for you too... hopefully along with the Oxycontin it should make you a lot more comfortable.

-- Sharon

Janet C on 5/20/02 at 20:20 (084734)

Dear Tammie,

I am so very happy and relieved to hear about this appt! It sounds like this PM Dr. understands all the complexities of RSD/CRPS, and has an appropriate, aggressive, and effective treatment plan for you. This is wonderful news!

I understand that you must be exhausted now, and that all this news is a lot to digest. RSD is a disease in which the pain is affected and increases with stress, so get your rest, and you can e-mail me later with any questions you might have.

I took OxyContin for over a year, and I think it's a very good medication. And I'll be happy to describe the Sympathetic Nerve Blocks for you to help you prepare for them, so that you won't feel so frightened by the procedure.

Congratulations on a bright, new start for your future health!

With Love and Blessings ~ Janet

Laurie R on 5/20/02 at 20:35 (084735)

Dear Tammie , Thank you so much for posting tonight , I know you must be very tired from your appointment . I am so happy to hear that your new doctor listened to you and also answered your questions , that is what a good doctor does...

He sounds like he has a wonderful new plan for you . That is right about RSD , you must get your pain under control first ..

Also it sounds like you have real pain meds now that will help with the RSD , I am really happy to hear this .

If I can help you in any way , please feel free to ask me anything .

Thanks so much to Janet , she helped me to understand the blocks before I had my first one done. Janet knows so much about RSD and has helped me so very much to understand it ..... That is why I always call Janet my Angel , she truly is .....

Much love to you always and I am so happy your appointment is over with and you are going to finally get the right treatment you deserve ....

Laurie R

BrianG on 5/20/02 at 21:09 (084737)

Hi Tammie,

I can't believe how lucky you were to get into a pain clinic that incorporates pain meds into their program. For some people, this is the only thing that gives them relief. I've reminded you many times not to worry about addiction issues. This doctor is right, and compassionate. He realizes the value of the OxyContin in your treatment. The contract you signed is very normal, it protects you, just as much as it does him. You will not abuse your meds, and he will not shut you off for no good reason.

Unlike what you had been taking, it's now very important to take your Oxy on a faily strict schedule. Don't skip any doses, and don't double up, as you'll run out by the end of the month if you do. I bought myself a 7 day pill continer, so that I no longer have to worry about missing a dose.

Are you taking the Oxy 2, or 3 times a day? If you are taking it twice, it may be enogh for you. For a lot of people, the medication in the pills will not last the 12 hours, which will give you a pain spike. This probably is why he gave you the Percocets, for the break through pain. What you want to strive for, is uninterupted pain control during the day. It's actually better to take the OxyContin 3 times a day, than to rely on the break through meds. Don't be afraid to bring this up with your doc, if this happens.

You'll probably have some side effects, most of which will go away in time. One that you'll have to watch is constipation. Did the doctor suggest anything for this. If not, let me know, and I can give you some advice. Lastly, I'm sure he started you on a low dose of the Oxy. All doctors will do this, to make sure your body will tolerate it. You will become accomodated to the dose at some point, and have to ask him to raise the it. It's no big deal, he'll be expecting it. The trick is to put off the increases as long as you can. This will give you plenty of time during your lifetime to tolerate the increases. If your taking so much that your pain is gone, it's too much, believe me. You want to relieve most of the pain, but it will always be there until your healed. It'll remind you not to overdue the physical stuff. Please keep me updated on how the meds are working, I've been there!!! Good luck

BrianG

Janet C on 5/20/02 at 21:10 (084738)

Thank you, Laurie, you know that I feel like you're my Angel, too! And I really like what Tammie said recently, that we're all Angels here, helping eachother!

In Christ's Love ~ Janet

Rich on 5/21/02 at 07:44 (084750)

Thanks for the update Tammie! Sounds like your appt went really well. The doc definetly sounds confident and in control. I hope you can trust him enough to get comfortable. It may take a while, considering your past fears. At least you finally have some answers! Relief of mind is one important factor in your treatment. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

Richelle

Suzanne D on 5/21/02 at 11:50 (084768)

Dear Tammie,

I am just now getting to check the board, and of course I looked first to see how your appointment went yesterday!

It does sound like you have a doctor who is thorough and who has a plan. Both seem to be very important in getting your pain under control and helping you to deal with it in the most effective way.

I am hoping that this is the beginning of a new start for you, Tammie! May each day get better and better for you.

Taqke care,
Suzanne :-)

Tammie on 5/21/02 at 12:02 (084769)

Ok I will try answering some now.I feel pretty dopey at this point haha!

He has me on oxy x2 per day and are very low doses he said, I am to take percocet x3 for break threw. I am to take the 75.mg elevil for sleep, and x3 neurontin,synthroid 1 a day, previcid 1 per day I believe I got them all now lol. I find the oxy not to helful, But the percocet makes me feel drowsy and I feel like this right now. He did say not to get to worried at first as my body will adjust and I will feel better then. I hope he is right!

Yes you are right he told me make a sheet with the times and the pills and stick to it and DO NOT skip any lol.Hubby today helped me do this as I am not to well with thinking today.Dr. told me I will get some negitive feedback from people on the meds I take but to ignore it as they have no medical degree and they do not know or understand the need to control this RSD. Nope he did not mention constipation yet lol. I thought I would get a wonderful night of sleep, but that did not happen woke in pain often.

Hubby says we will have to work a better plan on taking the meds so that they will help me sleep. By the way my hubby was with me and the dr. explained the facts about this RSD and there is alot of pain and that anyone who has it or knows it is not ever considered a baby or a hypo (my term) LOL. So hubby was impressed with his taking time to explain to us BOTH. He is being very helpful at this point, he even told me to not worry about house or wash or anything today just sleep and rest as that is what the Dr. told him. After a couple of weeks they are going to add PT if the pain is down.

I need to tell you Brian you are so very helpful and I do appreciate it, I am frightened of so many meds I dont want to be snowed but I do want some pain relief. I am working with it as he has advised me to do. I have so many here to thank but I have a full day to cope with now and I feel very groggy! I am going to lye down for a bit first!

Tammie on 5/21/02 at 12:06 (084770)

I am very drowsy, but felt the need to tell you all I am begining the meds today and well I am trying to comply with the Dr.s orders. Again please to each of you with no one left out THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!

PS Laurie I am so glad to see you with us and I do hope that you are resting and allowing that body of yours to heal!!!!! I must go now as I am in need of a couch. Bye

Rich on 5/21/02 at 21:50 (084824)

Tammy...forget everything but feeling better! Make sure you eat though! Noone will be trying to eat off the floors or inspecting the bathrooms! Accept any and all help offered...you'll know who really means it when they show up!

And so what if people give you neg feedback on the meds....you can pretend you're all doped up and don't have to pay any attention to them!

We want you feeling better!!

I will keep praying....it's just His timing we have to wait on!

Richelle
<><

Necee on 5/21/02 at 22:23 (084826)

Tammie,
I hope that your feeling better, it sounds like your in good hands with this PM Dr and that you feel comfortable with him.
You are a very strong gal and I applaud you for making that first step. I know how hard that was for you.
Take care dear friend, I will continue to pray for you, as well as all my friends here.
Happy trails to you....
Necee