Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Choosing a Dr.

Posted by Joe B on 5/20/02 at 19:41 (084730)

I know all of the Drs. that respond in this message board are Pods, but are orthopaedic surgeons, that specialize in foot and ankle problems, as good as pods???

Re: Choosing a Dr.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/21/02 at 05:31 (084746)

Hi Joe:

There is good and bad in every profession. I think that it is a relationship that you establish with the doctor. If the Doc understands what the problem is and you can work with him great. If he is clueless about the problem move onto a doctor that is thouroughly familar with your problem. As a podaitrist I was trained by both Podiatrists and Orthopedists in my post graduate training. 'My' own experience was that podiatists knowledge of foot and ankle pathology was much more thorough and more refined than the Orthopedic doctors that partially trained me. If I needed to go to a doctor for my hand I would find an orthopedic doctor that did a fellowship in hand surgery after his general orthopedic residency. I hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J. Cione on 5/22/02 at 20:06 (084927)

It really depends on what kind of foot and ankle training they recieved in their residency and if they did a fellowship in foot and ankle. If they did, they are probably pretty darn good, I would say.

Joe B. on 5/24/02 at 12:49 (085108)

What if they list that one of their areas of special clinical interest is disorders of the foot and ankle?? What if they are a current member of the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society and American Association of Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons??? Does all this really mean anything??

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/21/02 at 05:31 (084746)

Hi Joe:

There is good and bad in every profession. I think that it is a relationship that you establish with the doctor. If the Doc understands what the problem is and you can work with him great. If he is clueless about the problem move onto a doctor that is thouroughly familar with your problem. As a podaitrist I was trained by both Podiatrists and Orthopedists in my post graduate training. 'My' own experience was that podiatists knowledge of foot and ankle pathology was much more thorough and more refined than the Orthopedic doctors that partially trained me. If I needed to go to a doctor for my hand I would find an orthopedic doctor that did a fellowship in hand surgery after his general orthopedic residency. I hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J. Cione on 5/22/02 at 20:06 (084927)

It really depends on what kind of foot and ankle training they recieved in their residency and if they did a fellowship in foot and ankle. If they did, they are probably pretty darn good, I would say.

Joe B. on 5/24/02 at 12:49 (085108)

What if they list that one of their areas of special clinical interest is disorders of the foot and ankle?? What if they are a current member of the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society and American Association of Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons??? Does all this really mean anything??