Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thank God For Tape!

Posted by David A. on 5/21/02 at 11:01 (084766)

After hurting and hobbling for about a year, I recently tried taping my foot (as shown on this website). I couldn't believe it! Instant relief!!
My pod had taped it a couple of months ago and I was continuing to use his method. It helped a little bit, but not enough to be content with. Last Friday I tried the method shown as the 'favorite' in Part Two of this website. My pain disappeared immediately; I'm now in my fifth pain free day. If you're hurting (and you probably are or you wouldn't be reading this), try the taping method I'm talking about. It's very simple. Just two or three stips of tape (on the bottom of the foot) from the ball to the heel. It looks too simple to do any good, but it dang sure worked for me. When you walk and flex your foot, the tape absorbs the tension rather than your plantar ligament. Try it. It'll only cost you the price of some sports tape. What do you have to loose? Please reply to this post and tell me your results.

Re: Thank God For Tape!

dave on 5/21/02 at 13:13 (084777)

i have been taping my heels for 4 years with good to great results. It has at least givin me the ability to walk again. If im on my feet alot i just apply more tape. i am on my fourth case of tape now

J. King on 5/21/02 at 20:25 (084814)

What kind of tape do you use?

Rich on 5/21/02 at 21:34 (084822)

Ok.... taping is the one thing never recommended to my by my pod! And we've done everything else! What kind of tape do you use? I can't miss out on this!

Rich

dave on 5/22/02 at 07:31 (084836)

I use an athletic tape that you can buy at any walgreens. You may have to experiment with different styles of tape before you find one that sticks well enough. Just remeber thatt you must clean and dry your feet well before you apply the tape. it may take a while before you see results. I apply three to four pieces of tape from my middle toe all the wal back to the back of my heel. making sure that i dont come up the back of my heel. It may be alittle uncomfortable at first but you will get use to it. Good luck!

David A. on 5/22/02 at 08:34 (084844)

Any brand name 'sports tape' will probably be fine. I get mine at Wal-Mart (in the same section with the band-aids). I bought a roll of 'Nexcare' brand and a roll of 'Johnson & Johnson'. Both of them work well, but the Nexcare was a larger roll for about the same money.
If you haven't looked at the pictures in 'Part Two' of this website, you need to look at them. They'll help you get an idea of how to apply it; however, it's pretty simple. I tear off three pieces of tape about 8 inches long (depending on the size of the foot). I start one piece at the ball of my foot - directly behind my big toe - and run it to the center of my heel. Relax your foot while applying the tape - don't stretch it out and don't 'arch' it anymore than normal. Press it firmly on the ball, stick it LOOSELY against your arch and then firmly against your heel. If you leave an open gap between the tape and the arch, the tape will probably be too tight, which will pull too much and make your foot uncomfortable. Stop the tape on the bottom of your heel - don't run it up behind the heel. You may need to experiment a little bit until you find just the right 'feel'. Repeat with two more strips - one in the middle and one starting behind your little toe. Don't put it too far under your toes - it's not necessary and it'll be uncomfortable. While you're putting on your socks, curl you toes downward to keep the sock from grabbing the tape and rolling it back. It'll only do this when the tape is fresh. After you've worn it for a few minutes, the tape will adhere tight enough to not be a problem when you're taking socks & shoes on or off. Some people say that they change their tape everyday, but I change mine after two or three days - unless it gets particularly dirty. Generally speaking, the tape won't come loose when you shower. Actually, it seems like when the tape gets wet and then dries again, it seems to stick even better. But BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU TAKE IT OFF!! Don't rip if off quickly, because it might pull off a patch of skin, which is painful and hard to heal. Peel it slowly & gently and you shouldn't have a problem. I was amazed at how it immediately eliminated my pain. I would have never believed it if I hadn't tried it. I sincerely hope it works for you.
Please let me know whether it did or not. Good Luck! ...David A.

Re: do you also use orthodics? eom

Mahatmelissama on 5/22/02 at 14:41 (084882)

Rich on 5/22/02 at 16:41 (084895)

Thanks David! I will try this on the weekend. My hubby seems to think duct tape is the fix-all! LOL It doesn't help that we're in the A/C business!!

Will keep you posted!

Rich

David A. on 5/23/02 at 06:34 (084960)

Yes, I wear 'Contours' which I got from my pod. Maybe my success has been a combinaiton of the orthodics and the tape, but I give more credit to the tape. The pain stopped instantly when I applied the tape, but I couldn't notice any improvement from the orthodics; however I'm still wearing them in hopes that they will help in the long-run.

David A. on 5/23/02 at 06:38 (084961)

Rich, your hubby is right. There are not many things that can't be fixed with some duct tape and a tube of silicone caulk. Good luck!! ......
......... and please don't forget to let me know how it's going. David

David A. on 5/23/02 at 14:49 (085006)

Mahatmelissama, What is 'eom'? I've seen it on other posts, but don't know what it means. David A.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/23/02 at 17:32 (085021)

David, it means 'End of Message'... in other words, the title is all there is. When you open the post there won't be anything inside it.

Carole C

Re: Thank God For Tape! *new 5/23*

lisa k on 5/24/02 at 01:05 (085053)

Hi,I too tried taping the last two weeks . I believe firmly this has been a turning point in my healing. Right after showering(in Pacific shower Birks)I tape my foot one loop around and three across arch ,then two side pieces to hold the arch strips. I use a very wide sport tape with a zinc backing and have had no skin irritation but ,WoW what a difference after I get it applied.......it is wonderful and enables me to get around more which helps the depression stuff. I haven't tried Scott's method but after reading your email I will give that a try too. I have very flat plank,'flat as a pancake' feet versus his high arch,but it might work even better than this current way ,which I learned from a caring nurse at my new POD's office. Take care,Lisa k ps good post topic

David A. on 5/24/02 at 08:21 (085073)

Ohhhhhhhhhh, now I see. Thanks!

David A. on 5/24/02 at 08:52 (085075)

Lisa, my pod had taped my foot the same way that you're doing - one loop around, three across the arch, etc. I assumed that he was using the best method (for my particular pain), so I didn't question it - and continued to tape it the same way. I was getting a little relief from it, but not much. Last Friday my heel had been hurting all day and I took a few minutes to re-visit this website. (It had been a while since I had looked at it.) I could barely walk from my desk to the copier, so I decided 'what the heck', I'll give the other way a try. When I got home from work, I re- taped my foot, took a few steps and the pain was instantly gone. I know it's hard to believe - I almost didn't believe it either. I thought that it was surely too good to last; but that was one week ago and my heel hasn't bothered me a single time since then. It probably won't do the same for everybody, but it's certainly worth a try. I wear Reeboks or New Balance (with orthodics from my pod) 95% of the time and occasionally wear hard sole dress shoes (with the orthodics). I sleep barefoot and go barefoot briefly before bed and for about 30 minutes in the mornings. I don't wear houseshoes or shower shoes, but I keep the tape on 99.9% of the time and my heel doesn't even hurt while I'm walking barefoot. I wish you luck and would like to hear if the other method works for you. Thanks for the reply. ................ David

dave on 5/21/02 at 13:13 (084777)

i have been taping my heels for 4 years with good to great results. It has at least givin me the ability to walk again. If im on my feet alot i just apply more tape. i am on my fourth case of tape now

J. King on 5/21/02 at 20:25 (084814)

What kind of tape do you use?

Rich on 5/21/02 at 21:34 (084822)

Ok.... taping is the one thing never recommended to my by my pod! And we've done everything else! What kind of tape do you use? I can't miss out on this!

Rich

dave on 5/22/02 at 07:31 (084836)

I use an athletic tape that you can buy at any walgreens. You may have to experiment with different styles of tape before you find one that sticks well enough. Just remeber thatt you must clean and dry your feet well before you apply the tape. it may take a while before you see results. I apply three to four pieces of tape from my middle toe all the wal back to the back of my heel. making sure that i dont come up the back of my heel. It may be alittle uncomfortable at first but you will get use to it. Good luck!

David A. on 5/22/02 at 08:34 (084844)

Any brand name 'sports tape' will probably be fine. I get mine at Wal-Mart (in the same section with the band-aids). I bought a roll of 'Nexcare' brand and a roll of 'Johnson & Johnson'. Both of them work well, but the Nexcare was a larger roll for about the same money.
If you haven't looked at the pictures in 'Part Two' of this website, you need to look at them. They'll help you get an idea of how to apply it; however, it's pretty simple. I tear off three pieces of tape about 8 inches long (depending on the size of the foot). I start one piece at the ball of my foot - directly behind my big toe - and run it to the center of my heel. Relax your foot while applying the tape - don't stretch it out and don't 'arch' it anymore than normal. Press it firmly on the ball, stick it LOOSELY against your arch and then firmly against your heel. If you leave an open gap between the tape and the arch, the tape will probably be too tight, which will pull too much and make your foot uncomfortable. Stop the tape on the bottom of your heel - don't run it up behind the heel. You may need to experiment a little bit until you find just the right 'feel'. Repeat with two more strips - one in the middle and one starting behind your little toe. Don't put it too far under your toes - it's not necessary and it'll be uncomfortable. While you're putting on your socks, curl you toes downward to keep the sock from grabbing the tape and rolling it back. It'll only do this when the tape is fresh. After you've worn it for a few minutes, the tape will adhere tight enough to not be a problem when you're taking socks & shoes on or off. Some people say that they change their tape everyday, but I change mine after two or three days - unless it gets particularly dirty. Generally speaking, the tape won't come loose when you shower. Actually, it seems like when the tape gets wet and then dries again, it seems to stick even better. But BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU TAKE IT OFF!! Don't rip if off quickly, because it might pull off a patch of skin, which is painful and hard to heal. Peel it slowly & gently and you shouldn't have a problem. I was amazed at how it immediately eliminated my pain. I would have never believed it if I hadn't tried it. I sincerely hope it works for you.
Please let me know whether it did or not. Good Luck! ...David A.

Mahatmelissama on 5/22/02 at 14:41 (084882)

Rich on 5/22/02 at 16:41 (084895)

Thanks David! I will try this on the weekend. My hubby seems to think duct tape is the fix-all! LOL It doesn't help that we're in the A/C business!!

Will keep you posted!

Rich

David A. on 5/23/02 at 06:34 (084960)

Yes, I wear 'Contours' which I got from my pod. Maybe my success has been a combinaiton of the orthodics and the tape, but I give more credit to the tape. The pain stopped instantly when I applied the tape, but I couldn't notice any improvement from the orthodics; however I'm still wearing them in hopes that they will help in the long-run.

David A. on 5/23/02 at 06:38 (084961)

Rich, your hubby is right. There are not many things that can't be fixed with some duct tape and a tube of silicone caulk. Good luck!! ......
......... and please don't forget to let me know how it's going. David

David A. on 5/23/02 at 14:49 (085006)

Mahatmelissama, What is 'eom'? I've seen it on other posts, but don't know what it means. David A.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/23/02 at 17:32 (085021)

David, it means 'End of Message'... in other words, the title is all there is. When you open the post there won't be anything inside it.

Carole C

lisa k on 5/24/02 at 01:05 (085053)

Hi,I too tried taping the last two weeks . I believe firmly this has been a turning point in my healing. Right after showering(in Pacific shower Birks)I tape my foot one loop around and three across arch ,then two side pieces to hold the arch strips. I use a very wide sport tape with a zinc backing and have had no skin irritation but ,WoW what a difference after I get it applied.......it is wonderful and enables me to get around more which helps the depression stuff. I haven't tried Scott's method but after reading your email I will give that a try too. I have very flat plank,'flat as a pancake' feet versus his high arch,but it might work even better than this current way ,which I learned from a caring nurse at my new POD's office. Take care,Lisa k ps good post topic

David A. on 5/24/02 at 08:21 (085073)

Ohhhhhhhhhh, now I see. Thanks!

David A. on 5/24/02 at 08:52 (085075)

Lisa, my pod had taped my foot the same way that you're doing - one loop around, three across the arch, etc. I assumed that he was using the best method (for my particular pain), so I didn't question it - and continued to tape it the same way. I was getting a little relief from it, but not much. Last Friday my heel had been hurting all day and I took a few minutes to re-visit this website. (It had been a while since I had looked at it.) I could barely walk from my desk to the copier, so I decided 'what the heck', I'll give the other way a try. When I got home from work, I re- taped my foot, took a few steps and the pain was instantly gone. I know it's hard to believe - I almost didn't believe it either. I thought that it was surely too good to last; but that was one week ago and my heel hasn't bothered me a single time since then. It probably won't do the same for everybody, but it's certainly worth a try. I wear Reeboks or New Balance (with orthodics from my pod) 95% of the time and occasionally wear hard sole dress shoes (with the orthodics). I sleep barefoot and go barefoot briefly before bed and for about 30 minutes in the mornings. I don't wear houseshoes or shower shoes, but I keep the tape on 99.9% of the time and my heel doesn't even hurt while I'm walking barefoot. I wish you luck and would like to hear if the other method works for you. Thanks for the reply. ................ David