Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Treatments for PF in UK

Posted by Shirley T on 5/21/02 at 17:09 (084791)

I have had PF for several years on and off now. I have had any number of orthotic supports for my shoes, which don't really alleviate the pain.
I have also had ultrasound, which is of limited benefit, and acupuncture.

The first cortisone injection I had was great. I didn't get a recurrence for 12 months. Since then I have had two more which haven't worked at all.

I have tried Ibuprofen cream, which is useless to my heel pain. I find that if I need to be on my feet a lot, then use of normal Ibuprofen tablets is better for pain control.

I have just been to see a new consultant, who has a big interest in PF, and he has prescribed night splints for me, after giving me a bone scan to see where the inflammation is. He is quite confident that this stretching will work.

I have my fingers crossed this time. I am going on 2 weeeks holiday in July to Venice, whic will mean an awful lot of walking and standing. Anyone got any useful tips for me, whilst I am away?

Also, I thoroughly recommend Hotter Shoes. They are on the expensive side, but they feel really comfortable and my pain during the day is much less after wearing them.

Re: Treatments for PF in UK

Rich on 5/22/02 at 07:41 (084838)

Hello Shirley...I had the same experience with cortisone injections. I won't try them again!

I found the night splint worked for one foot, but curiously not the other. Night time use was difficult so I wore it during the day anytime I was in a sitting position. I have an office job, so it wasn't too dificult to find those times.

Stretching and icing, along with Aleve (2-2x daily) works for me. I would be determined not to miss Venice, but would be cautious about how much walking I did. Ice may not be readily available, so try to find out ahead of time if your hotel will store ice packs/gel packs in their kitchen freezer for you. Rest often, wear good shoes, stretch frequently...

...and most importantly, Have a Great Holiday!!

Richelle

AmyM on 5/23/02 at 15:15 (085009)

If your consultant thinks streching will help you should have a look at this website (show it to your consultant too.)
http://www.foottrainer.com/index.html

There are a couple of places in the UK that use ESWT to treat PF, although you'll have to pay for it. There is the Oving Clinic near Chichester and the Chelsea clinic (?) in London. Try searching the message boards for UK and seeing what you find.

As for going to Venice, you might want to try a walking stick, you can get some 'trekking pole' type ones in climbing/hiking shops. Get one with a proper handle and suspension to protect your wrist. It will make the walking easier.

Its a good job your consultant is interested in PF, that's unusual! Stick with him!

Re: Treatments for PF in UK - another ESWT source in UK

Donna SL on 5/23/02 at 19:19 (085031)

A new poster to the board Yasmin found another place in London that does ESWT. Also they are all podiatrist, and seem to have a lot of experience. I think Chelsea physio is a PT not a pod. It's called FitterFeet.

http://www.fitterfeetforlife.co.uk/treat.htm
main page
http://www.fitterfeetforlife.co.uk/

Donna

Peter R on 5/24/02 at 12:21 (085106)

I visted the guy in Chelsea for ESWT 3 weeks ago. He is a PT rather than a pod, seemed to know what he was doing, although no decrease in pain.....yet. I know I've got to be patient. The only thing I didn't like, having researched it further since, is that he didn't have the use of ultrasound to make the shock more accurate. He reckoned the machine, a wolf Piezon, was very accurate anyway. He pinpointed the shock based on where it hurt most ! I got 2700 shocks, without pain relief, and yes it hurt at the time, although pain went as soon as the treatment finished. The cost was £160 per foot, although as I had both done, I got a 25% discount. If you think you're going to a swanky property because it's Chelsea, then forget it ! The guy occupiers a small basement room below a dentist although very clean and tidy etc.

In summary I would have felt happier if he had been a pod and had the ultrasound, but at the time he was the only option.

I think I will need a second treatment and may go to the Oving clinic, although that is much more expensive. I was quoted £440 inc £80 initial consultation. They do have ultrasound for accuracy, and i guess a more accurate diagnosis of the condition, although the guy who does the treatment, John Tanner is not a Pod, although one of his colleagues is.

I'll also look into the other place mentioned by Yasmin.

I think the ultrasound for accuracy is important based on what the Doc's on this site say. In fact I thiunk they all use it.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Peter R on 5/24/02 at 12:24 (085107)

Forgot to say, the Chelsea guy offered no advice post treatment, which was disappointing. I mentioned stretching and he said that was a good idea !!!

Rich on 5/22/02 at 07:41 (084838)

Hello Shirley...I had the same experience with cortisone injections. I won't try them again!

I found the night splint worked for one foot, but curiously not the other. Night time use was difficult so I wore it during the day anytime I was in a sitting position. I have an office job, so it wasn't too dificult to find those times.

Stretching and icing, along with Aleve (2-2x daily) works for me. I would be determined not to miss Venice, but would be cautious about how much walking I did. Ice may not be readily available, so try to find out ahead of time if your hotel will store ice packs/gel packs in their kitchen freezer for you. Rest often, wear good shoes, stretch frequently...

...and most importantly, Have a Great Holiday!!

Richelle

AmyM on 5/23/02 at 15:15 (085009)

If your consultant thinks streching will help you should have a look at this website (show it to your consultant too.)
http://www.foottrainer.com/index.html

There are a couple of places in the UK that use ESWT to treat PF, although you'll have to pay for it. There is the Oving Clinic near Chichester and the Chelsea clinic (?) in London. Try searching the message boards for UK and seeing what you find.

As for going to Venice, you might want to try a walking stick, you can get some 'trekking pole' type ones in climbing/hiking shops. Get one with a proper handle and suspension to protect your wrist. It will make the walking easier.

Its a good job your consultant is interested in PF, that's unusual! Stick with him!

Donna SL on 5/23/02 at 19:19 (085031)

A new poster to the board Yasmin found another place in London that does ESWT. Also they are all podiatrist, and seem to have a lot of experience. I think Chelsea physio is a PT not a pod. It's called FitterFeet.

http://www.fitterfeetforlife.co.uk/treat.htm
main page
http://www.fitterfeetforlife.co.uk/

Donna

Peter R on 5/24/02 at 12:21 (085106)

I visted the guy in Chelsea for ESWT 3 weeks ago. He is a PT rather than a pod, seemed to know what he was doing, although no decrease in pain.....yet. I know I've got to be patient. The only thing I didn't like, having researched it further since, is that he didn't have the use of ultrasound to make the shock more accurate. He reckoned the machine, a wolf Piezon, was very accurate anyway. He pinpointed the shock based on where it hurt most ! I got 2700 shocks, without pain relief, and yes it hurt at the time, although pain went as soon as the treatment finished. The cost was £160 per foot, although as I had both done, I got a 25% discount. If you think you're going to a swanky property because it's Chelsea, then forget it ! The guy occupiers a small basement room below a dentist although very clean and tidy etc.

In summary I would have felt happier if he had been a pod and had the ultrasound, but at the time he was the only option.

I think I will need a second treatment and may go to the Oving clinic, although that is much more expensive. I was quoted £440 inc £80 initial consultation. They do have ultrasound for accuracy, and i guess a more accurate diagnosis of the condition, although the guy who does the treatment, John Tanner is not a Pod, although one of his colleagues is.

I'll also look into the other place mentioned by Yasmin.

I think the ultrasound for accuracy is important based on what the Doc's on this site say. In fact I thiunk they all use it.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Peter R on 5/24/02 at 12:24 (085107)

Forgot to say, the Chelsea guy offered no advice post treatment, which was disappointing. I mentioned stretching and he said that was a good idea !!!